What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 R27 Sat - Penrith 44-12 North Qld @ BlueBet

Round 27: Penrith v North Qld

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • North Queensland Cowboys

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Amazing the amount of people that STILL don't know that for the roosters to win and miss the 8 BOTH cowboys and Raiders would have to win this week.

In the case of a souffs win it is very unlikely they don't make the 8 as Cowboys would have to win by 39+ (well short of your prediction of 6) and that's assuming souffs win by 1.

It's really not that hard to read a ladder.

Yep you're correct, I was just going off some comments on here and didn't do my due diligence by looking at the ladder. There's a bit more to it than Penrith just winning, so I stand corrected. Happy to admit when I get it wrong.

Victoire

Juniors
If the Cowboys win, they're in the finals regardless of other results - is that correct?

* edit - disregard. If both Souths and Canberra win, Cowboys can still miss the 8 with a win here.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Panthers named a full strength side minus Kenny and Luai who are injured, and Tago is on the extended bench.

Highly doubtful they run out as named. Based on the extended bench we can rest a few. But probably be a similar strength squad to the one that faced the Eels. Good chance to get in on Cowboys at $3+ before the odds shift when Panthers decide to drop Edwards, Cleary, Yeo and one or two others.

Panther Mike

Juniors
It's pretty clear. If the Storm were to beat the Broncos, we'll name a team that we're confident can get the win I reckon with the minor premiership a chance. If Broncos win then we probably aren't so concerned.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
This match thread has delicious potential. Canberra with no Papa or Horsburgh probably gonna lose to Sharks, so to guarantee safety they need Penrith to win.

soc123_au

Staff member
minor prem or a grand final?
Why_Don%27t_We_Have_Both_meme_banner.jpg

This match thread has delicious potential. Canberra with no Papa or Horsburgh probably gonna lose to Sharks, so to guarantee safety they need Penrith to win.
The emotional hedge of seeing the Skeepe/Ricky melt-down (probably in that order!!) if we lose and cost the Raiders a semi-spot means that I am probably the most relaxed about the result of this game than any this year.

I am assuming the Broncs win of course.

soc123_au

Staff member
You have one of your playmakers out, if cleary gets an 11 day HIA standown or injury, you guys are f**ked

It's risky, I'd be resting players.
I probably would be too tbh, it worked a treat last year. I guess with Luai being out Ivan wants a game to get the combinations with Cogger a bit more settled. Damned if you do, damned if you dont really.

Munky

Coach

Canberra could run out the rotting corpse of Alan Tongue and still have more starch in the forwards than the Sharks.

Valheru

Coach
I probably would be too tbh, it worked a treat last year. I guess with Luai being out Ivan wants a game to get the combinations with Cogger a bit more settled. Damned if you do, damned if you dont really.
Penrith are in a bit of a different situation this year because they just rested Edwards last week and lost easily complete with their 5/8 getting injured. I certainly wouldn't be resting Edwards again, one week is fine but not playing for 3 weeks going in to a QF is not ideal.

Cleary has already missed a load of time this season so yeah the risk of him getting injured is always there but there is also something to be said for match fitness, rhythm etc. especially, as you have pointed out, the fact that there will be a new halves combo in the finals. This is really their only chance to fine tune that.

soc123_au

Staff member
Penrith are in a bit of a different situation this year because they just rested Edwards last week and lost easily complete with their 5/8 getting injured. I certainly wouldn't be resting Edwards again, one week is fine but not playing for 3 weeks going in to a QF is not ideal.

Cleary has already missed a load of time this season so yeah the risk of him getting injured is always there but there is also something to be said for match fitness, rhythm etc. especially, as you have pointed out, the fact that there will be a new halves combo in the finals. This is really their only chance to fine tune that.
If Luai wasn't injured, I would have been inclined to rest Fish, Leota & Yeo. most of the others have had a bit of a break recently. In normal circumstances Critta as well , but he needs to play in every game to bring up 100 games assuming we reach the GF.

King-Gutho94

Coach
The emotional hedge of seeing the Skeepe/Ricky melt-down (probably in that order!!) if we lose and cost the Raiders a semi-spot means that I am probably the most relaxed about the result of this game than any this year.

I am assuming the Broncs win of course.
It would be worth missing on 100k i reckon to see another Ricky meltdown

Latest posts