What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Rabbitohs Injuries and Suspensions

callmack1

Staff member
Hey guys,

It's that time to fully switch focus to 2023. This is part of a forum update where I'll be updating all threads for 2023. Same threads, same purpose, it's just a freshen up.

Please stop using the old threads if you can and start using these ones.

Please use this thread to discuss all injury/suspension news. Let's hope this thread isn't too active in 2023.

Cheers.

callmack1

Staff member
From the Mole, huge ups to Knighty!!

BIG BOOST FOR BUNNIES​

Tough forward Liam Knight has given South Sydney a massive boost by declaring he plans to be back on deck after only a month of the new season.

Knight suffered a torn ACL in July and had further surgery on the knee just before Christmas.

The NRL's website has Knight out "indefinitely" while other sites have him missing half the season.

But Knight is back in training with a vengeance and aiming at a comeback around round five or six.

"I copped a cannonball tackle last July and had the surgery to repair the ACL," Knight told Wide World of Sports.

"Then I had to go under the knife again to get a screw taken out in December but that was not as serious.

"The doctors are pleased with my progress and I am working hard - I'm happy with how it's going."

Thumper

Juniors
From the Mole, huge ups to Knighty!!

BIG BOOST FOR BUNNIES​

Tough forward Liam Knight has given South Sydney a massive boost by declaring he plans to be back on deck after only a month of the new season.

Knight suffered a torn ACL in July and had further surgery on the knee just before Christmas.

The NRL's website has Knight out "indefinitely" while other sites have him missing half the season.

But Knight is back in training with a vengeance and aiming at a comeback around round five or six.

"I copped a cannonball tackle last July and had the surgery to repair the ACL," Knight told Wide World of Sports.

"Then I had to go under the knife again to get a screw taken out in December but that was not as serious.

"The doctors are pleased with my progress and I am working hard - I'm happy with how it's going."
Hardly a boost.
the bloke is a liability.
gives away penalties drops the ball and misses simple tackles. If he steps foot near first grade this year south's are in trouble.

callmack1

Staff member
I think Liva may be injured. He was on Taane Milne's Instagram story this morning in a moonboot and on crutches.

Not good, hopefully it's just a precaution or something.

Rabbits20

Immortal
The Rabbitohs have suffered a pre-season blow with Siliva Havili ruled out for four months after suffering a serious foot injury caused by a pothole at Erskineville Oval.
The versatile forward, who was a mainstay of Souths coach Jason Demetriou’s side throughout 2022, has undergone tendon surgery in his foot.

The unfortunate incident occured in January when the Rabbitohs were training at Erskineville Oval.

Thumper

Juniors
The Rabbitohs have suffered a pre-season blow with Siliva Havili ruled out for four months after suffering a serious foot injury caused by a pothole at Erskineville Oval.
The versatile forward, who was a mainstay of Souths coach Jason Demetriou’s side throughout 2022, has undergone tendon surgery in his foot.

The unfortunate incident occured in January when the Rabbitohs were training at Erskineville Oval.
Devo. Definitely one of our best last year. His impact was awesome. Might give Davvy an opportunity now to get some games under his belt.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's the full article in case anyone missed it,

Key Souths forward suffers major injury setback: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/south-...-surgery/a3a26601-ad88-4758-8a66-399ad41137c4

So gutted for Liva and gutted we won't see him for the first half of the year. It's a big blow, there's no doubt about that. His impact will be hugely missed.

Thankfully though, our depth through the middle third is outstanding so that will help soften the blow. Enter Moale and Mitchell.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Key Souths forward suffers major injury setback: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/south-...-surgery/a3a26601-ad88-4758-8a66-399ad41137c4

So gutted for Liva and gutted we won't see him for the first half of the year. It's a big blow, there's no doubt about that. His impact will be hugely missed.

Thankfully though, our depth through the middle third is outstanding so that will help soften the blow. Enter Moale and Mitchell.
Don’t forget DSF too mate

big hit!

Bench

All the middles are first grade quality, but a bit thin on numbers

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Casualty Ward - Arrow, Tatola ruled out: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/01/01...test-nrl-injury-news-updates-returns-details/

Rabbitohs coach reveals Latrell Mitchell dealing with a 'bit of an issue' in left knee: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...emetriou/75f80acf-0765-4b0c-9fdd-a689c9e60fcb

Got hit by a couple of big injuries last night which isn't good at all.

You'd think that with the short turnaround, that pretty much rules out Tatola for Round 2. I'd say Jai will also be gone for a couple of weeks at the very least you'd think, probably more. Hopefully Latrell is sweet, he was fine in the second half.

We really need Sele and Host back next week!!

handyman2190

Bench
Casualty Ward - Arrow, Tatola ruled out: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/01/01...test-nrl-injury-news-updates-returns-details/

Rabbitohs coach reveals Latrell Mitchell dealing with a 'bit of an issue' in left knee: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...emetriou/75f80acf-0765-4b0c-9fdd-a689c9e60fcb

Got hit by a couple of big injuries last night which isn't good at all.

You'd think that with the short turnaround, that pretty much rules out Tatola for Round 2. I'd say Jai will also be gone for a couple of weeks at the very least you'd think, probably more. Hopefully Latrell is sweet, he was fine in the second half.

We really need Sele and Host back next week!!
Whilst sele is considered a good player,someone please tell me the last time he finished a game? He is now a liability, he is so injury prone,how can you take him into a match and expect him to finish, its sad

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle,

Important to note that it does say the scans are 'precautionary' but it's still not ideal. Bit of a nervous wait on our hands. Fingers crossed he's okay because we just can't afford to lose him, especially not leading into the Panthers game. I trust our medial staff, they won't put him out there if he's not right, especially this early on in the year so if he gets the green light, it'll be great!

Latrell Mitchell set for scans following knee injury

Superstar fullback Latrell Mitchell is set to receive scans on his knee after injuring it during the Rabbitohs' 27-18 win over the Sharks.

Mitchell played a key role throughout the contest, throwing the final pass for Campbell Graham's second try and making a line break to match his 127 running metres, however the 25-year-old didn't emerge unscathed.

Latrell went down with a knee issue late in the first-half, with club doctors standing alongside him for a matter of minutes as they tested out his knee's mobility.

He played the entire second stanza, laying defenders in his wake on one run, however never looked like he'd managed to shake the niggle, with fears the custodian could be sidelined for the coming weeks.

Head coach Jason Demetriou confirmed the injury following the full-time siren.

"He's got a bit of an issue with his PCL, but we'll get it checked," Demetriou said in his post-game press conference.

"I thought he played outstanding in the second half."

It's possible to play with a PCL issue depending on its severity, with Greg Inglis suffering a similar injury during Origin in 2014. The former Rabbitoh was plagued by the injury even when he did return to the field, and hampered him for some time.

Mal Meninga knows it's something South Sydney must take a cautious approach towards.

"Obviously he's going to be high maintenance," Meninga said on the Fox Sports coverage.

"Through the year he's going to have to look after it.

"He's a big fella. He runs quite quick and he can step so he needs those ligaments intact.

"So a lot of work with recovery and prevention - and maybe less training to play."

The fullback will have scans on his knee within the next few days, and determine whether or not Latrell will be lacing the boots to face the reigning premiers at BlueBet Stadium on Thursday night.

Blake Taaffe is expected to don the No. 1 jersey if Latrell does miss the contest.

callmack1

Staff member
From Fox Sports, pretty good news I think given the circumstances. We all kind of had a feeling that Trell would be okay but to hear that Jai's hamstring is only minor and that he'll be back in a couple of weeks, possibly even sooner is a lot better news than I was expecting!!

Coach Jason Demetriou has revealed Latrell Mitchell is a massive chance of playing in the preliminary final rematch. Mitchell hurt his knee agaiinst the Sharks but pulled up better than expected and is likely to play on Thursday despite the short turnaround.

“He’s a big chance, he’s come out of the game pretty well. We were a bit worried about the knee at first but he ran beautifully in the second half and he’s come up ok,” Demetriou said on NRL 360. “We’ll get a good look at him tomorrow morning but he’s a chance. I’d say he’s yeah, he’s a massive chance of playing.”

Souths forward Jai Arrow (hamstring) will miss at least one week, while Tevita Tatola will have to pass concussion protocols meaning the Bunnies face a reshuffle in the forwards. Jed Cartwright is the likely man to take Arrow’s spot, while Daniel Suluka-Fifita could fill in for Tatola off the bench.

“Jai is only a minor hamstring strain so he’s hopeful of Roosters (in two weeks) if not the week after that,” Demtriou said.

Latest posts