What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

Thumper

Juniors
I find it unlikely that we'd be able to sign Wighton. He's a star player and wouldn't be cheap. We simply don't have the room in the cap.

I'd love it but can't see it happening unfortunately.

In other news,

'A five minute sin-bin?' - Radical plan to curb big NRL problem as hosts lock horns in fiery clash: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/60c655f463e3b85929be55f4d00588ac
James hooper saying it’s pretty much a done deal. Shocked.
as long as he stays in the centres. He can’t kick and he can’t pass.

callmack1

Staff member
Souths on verge of bombshell $3.4m Wighton coup as Bunnies' trump card revealed - Hoops: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/59d523850a73fe52f1e66f5be80a320c

Omg. Holy shit!! Far friggin out man! I cannot believe what I just read!!!!!! I am seriously in shock right now and I have tears in my eyes. I cannot believe this! Goosebumps man!

So, all along the whole Wighton to Souths thing has just been paper talk, a media suggestion. Today, it becomes a little more than that and now, we have an article from James Hooper saying it's pretty much a done deal!!! Holy shit! All of a sudden, this his come out of friggin nowhere.

Here's some quotes from the article,

"Fox League has learned Wighton is expected to travel to Sydney on Friday to finalise what is tipped to be a four-year deal with South Sydney until the end of 2026."

"The contract is expected to be worth around the $3.4 million mark over four seasons – which is $1 million less than the $4.4 million deal the Raiders have tabled."

"Superstar fullback Mitchell is believed to have told Rabbitohs coach Jason Demetriou about Wighton’s interest in joining South Sydney last month."

That sounds pretty damn serious to me. Pretty much a done deal? I cannot believe it, but I will be brimming with joy if it happens. A massive, massive signing. Certainly our biggest since Trell. Would be amazing.

I don't know how we're going to afford him but obviously there is a way, maybe we have more cap space than we think. And if a player like Jack wants to come to your club, you find a way.

God, I'm excited!! Stunned, but excited!

Thumper

Juniors
Not happening, just silly talk.

Seriously where are you going to play him.
I thought it was silly talk also. James Hopper wouldn’t just make a story up like that. For the most part a well respected journo and usually gets good mail from his sources.
he could only play centre in the backline. A lot of money to pay a centre.
only other spot is bench utility. I’d say he can play lock but south’s have the best lock in the game so that won’t happen.

Hellray

Juniors
If Wighton comes in at centre where does Tass go? He hasn’t done anything wrong to lose his spot to an aging star.

Black Panther

Juniors
I thought it was silly talk also. James Hopper wouldn’t just make a story up like that. For the most part a well respected journo and usually gets good mail from his sources.
he could only play centre in the backline. A lot of money to pay a centre.
only other spot is bench utility. I’d say he can play lock but south’s have the best lock in the game so that won’t happen.
Nah mate, Yeo is the best Lock in the game. He plays for Penrith.

Murraymob1

Juniors
If he comes there must be rorting going on.No player or even any one working would drop 1 million at the back of there career

handyman2190

Bench
I find it unlikely that we'd be able to sign Wighton. He's a star player and wouldn't be cheap. We simply don't have the room in the cap.

I'd love it but can't see it happening unfortunately.

In other news,

'A five minute sin-bin?' - Radical plan to curb big NRL problem as hosts lock horns in fiery clash: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/60c655f463e3b85929be55f4d00588ac
My mail is that we have made him an offer of 800k, money apparently is not the object of his desire,he wants to play with latrell and he wants a premiership which wont happen at the raiders, this was all planed its 90% he will sign.
The other news is that knight who is on 500k back when he was playing good and it looked like he was going to be poached,bennet gave him 500k well looks like he will be shown the door so 500k comes from him.
But we are still in need of forwards and tig wilton who is our assistant coaches morris nephew is being chased. We still need a prop.

Thumper

Juniors
My mail is that we have made him an offer of 800k, money apparently is not the object of his desire,he wants to play with latrell and he wants a premiership which wont happen at the raiders, this was all planed its 90% he will sign.
The other news is that knight who is on 500k back when he was playing good and it looked like he was going to be poached,bennet gave him 500k well looks like he will be shown the door so 500k comes from him.
But we are still in need of forwards and tig wilton who is our assistant coaches morris nephew is being chased. We still need a prop.
Do they need a prop.
tatola, Tom, davvy, sele, shaq Havilli.
6 quality middle forwards.
not including Murray
And arrow and keaon also can play front row.
not sure that’s the issue.

callmack1

Staff member
This article explains why Souths have the possible cap space

Rabbitohs close in on Jack Wighton — with thanks from Sydney Roosters​

South Sydney have emerged as a surprise frontrunner to sign Canberra star Jack Wighton — and their fierce rivals have played a helping hand.

Michael Carayannis and Brent Read

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

If the Rabbitohs land Jack Wighton they will have arch-rivals the Roosters to thank for it.

In a bizarre twist to the ongoing uncertainty surrounding Wighton’s future, the Rabbitohs have emerged as a surprise frontrunner for the Canberra star’s services in recent days.

South Sydney have kick-started discussions with Wighton’s management and despite coach Jason Demetriou saying on Wednesday that it would be tough to squeeze him under their cap next year, the Rabbioths are sitting on a little nest egg largely thanks to the Roosters and some of their other rivals.

The Rabbitohs’ interest raised eyebrows regarding how exactly they would be able to afford the World Cup-winning Kangaroos star.

However, it is understood they have plenty of room to spare in their cap after the NRL opted to scrap plans for match payments from this season and instead roll that money straight into the salary cap as part of the collective-bargaining agreement.

The players union and some clubs were pushing for players to be paid as much as $1500 for every appearance in the NRL from this season. It would have meant every player in the top 30 sharing the additional wealth.

However, the NRL decided to scrap the match payments plan and instead directly increased the cap for this season and beyond at the behest of some clubs — the Roosters are understood to be one of the clubs who wanted to end the match payment plan.

When the cap was increased beyond what many had expected, it gave Souths the wriggle room to make a play for Wighton.

Wighton will use Canberra’s bye period this week to meet with South Sydney officials with a deal potentially completed by the end of the weekend.

South Sydney will offer Wighton a four-year deal which will average out at about $900,000 a season. That is still about $1 million less than what the Raiders have offered while the Dolphins are expected to come in with the richest deal of them all.

Wighton would earn about $800,000 in his first two years at South Sydney but that number could jump significantly in 2026 and 2027 because the Rabbitohs expect Cody Walker and Damien Cook to retire when their deals expire at the end of 2025.

The Rabbitohs are strictly looking at Wighton as a centre – particularly in his first two seasons at the club.

Young gun Isaiah Tass has another 12 months to go on his deal and has established himself as a first grade centre.

The Rabbitohs’ pitch to Wighton includes playing alongside Walker and Latrell Mitchell and joining a club which has a heavy focus on its Indigenous foundations.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
This article explains why Souths have the possible cap space

Rabbitohs close in on Jack Wighton — with thanks from Sydney Roosters​

South Sydney have emerged as a surprise frontrunner to sign Canberra star Jack Wighton — and their fierce rivals have played a helping hand.

Michael Carayannis and Brent Read

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

If the Rabbitohs land Jack Wighton they will have arch-rivals the Roosters to thank for it.

In a bizarre twist to the ongoing uncertainty surrounding Wighton’s future, the Rabbitohs have emerged as a surprise frontrunner for the Canberra star’s services in recent days.

South Sydney have kick-started discussions with Wighton’s management and despite coach Jason Demetriou saying on Wednesday that it would be tough to squeeze him under their cap next year, the Rabbioths are sitting on a little nest egg largely thanks to the Roosters and some of their other rivals.

The Rabbitohs’ interest raised eyebrows regarding how exactly they would be able to afford the World Cup-winning Kangaroos star.

However, it is understood they have plenty of room to spare in their cap after the NRL opted to scrap plans for match payments from this season and instead roll that money straight into the salary cap as part of the collective-bargaining agreement.

The players union and some clubs were pushing for players to be paid as much as $1500 for every appearance in the NRL from this season. It would have meant every player in the top 30 sharing the additional wealth.

However, the NRL decided to scrap the match payments plan and instead directly increased the cap for this season and beyond at the behest of some clubs — the Roosters are understood to be one of the clubs who wanted to end the match payment plan.

When the cap was increased beyond what many had expected, it gave Souths the wriggle room to make a play for Wighton.

Wighton will use Canberra’s bye period this week to meet with South Sydney officials with a deal potentially completed by the end of the weekend.

South Sydney will offer Wighton a four-year deal which will average out at about $900,000 a season. That is still about $1 million less than what the Raiders have offered while the Dolphins are expected to come in with the richest deal of them all.

Wighton would earn about $800,000 in his first two years at South Sydney but that number could jump significantly in 2026 and 2027 because the Rabbitohs expect Cody Walker and Damien Cook to retire when their deals expire at the end of 2025.

The Rabbitohs are strictly looking at Wighton as a centre – particularly in his first two seasons at the club.

Young gun Isaiah Tass has another 12 months to go on his deal and has established himself as a first grade centre.

The Rabbitohs’ pitch to Wighton includes playing alongside Walker and Latrell Mitchell and joining a club which has a heavy focus on its Indigenous foundations.
Cody will probably retire at the end of 2025, but Cookie?
That'd surprise me. He is for enough to maybe go another year

callmack1

Staff member

handyman2190

Bench
The wighton saga was concocted during the world cup, latrell spoke to coach ,coach to the admin then wighton called demetriou and told him money wasnt an issue, he wants a premiership,he wants it with latrell cookie and cody, dolphins matched raiders offer, i expect him to sign

Latest posts