What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

First Women's SOO was 2018. The trajectory of crowds is similar to Men's Origin in the 80s.

Same story with playing standards. When I was brushing up on women's RL around 7-8 years ago, found some YouTube footage of the Interstate Challenge in Townsville 2015. Result was a 4-4 draw. Quite an open game. Main reason for the low scores was that most of the passes had a bit of loop on. Only player on the field with a really strong passing game was Allana Ferguson. In 2024 there are dozens of female players at an equal or higher level of technical proficiency.

APPSY

Juniors
185,954 people attended a professional sporting match last night too across the NRL, AFL, Super Rugby and Soccer (Matilda's vs China / AC Milan vs AS Roma)

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL needs a generational cultural shift. More people attending games as they would other leisure pursuits.

Check out the game day threads on this forum. Relentless vilification of players, teams, officials, games, and the comp as a whole. Nobody seems to enjoy watching RL. Just an exercise in anger management.

Which carries across to the crowd thread where it's deemed necessary for every team to placate the anger of their fans by winning every game.
For that to happen it needs to be a much better overall experience than currently. Asking people to fork out $100 plus every other weekend to attend nrl you’d better make it a great night out. Can’t just be about the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They'd rather one fan pay $115 and 3 others watch on TV in preference to 4 fans pay $30 each. Why?

Do Fox and Nine determine pricing policy?
Blame the clubs, they now get $18mill a year from tv, they still want to fleece fans attending. Apparently $30mill a year just isn’t enough to run a club!

T-Boon

Coach
If Warriors keep winning, their opponents will lose. Presumably the only hope for those losing teams is if they start winning. Which in turn means their opponents will lose. And so on, ad infinitum.

Can you foresee a time when NRL clubs will attract good crowds irrespective of who wins and loses? Simply because NRL games are events that NRL fans enjoy attending. Is that a pipedream?
I had a thread on this.
Clubs talk about strategy to improve crowds by winning games (call that moving up and down on the win/loss crowd curve). Whereas money/resources need to be spent on pushing up the overall win/loss crowd curve.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Broncos vs Cronulla one week out update:

- Black line - sold or will sell out this weekend
- Pink line - open and selling
- no line - not open yet

If 731, and 725 & 726 are sold as 'corner' category then it might sell out. If all of level 7 east is sold as 'sideline' category then 39-41k is most likely.

Looks on target to out draw the Roosters game.

Could this be the largest regular season crowd that Cronulla have played infront of outside of Magic Round?

suncorp (4).gif

shewi6

Juniors
Broncos vs Cronulla
Could this be the largest regular season crowd that Cronulla have played infront of outside of Magic round?
Do double headers count?
From memory they may have played in one against the dragons at the olympic stadium when it was new that got 50k.

SouthsCountry

Juniors
If Panthers stadium ends up like the Geelong Stadium I saw when changing the channels after last night's epic, with heaps of covered seating whilst still having that suburban charm and being in the team's area, the Panthers will average 20k+ and we'll never see scenes like last night where members didn't show due to the lack of cover

That ground is literally the only one I've seen in Victoria that has a soul and an identity

They've added even more seats since I went to it for a Supercross a few years back and it looks awesome

Need to keep playing Storm pre-season matches there and maybe even take one to Hobart as well in 2025

Iamback

Coach
If Panthers stadium ends up like the Geelong Stadium I saw when changing the channels after last night's epic, with heaps of covered seating whilst still having that suburban charm and being in the team's area, the Panthers will average 20k+ and we'll never see scenes like last night where members didn't show due to the lack of cover

That ground is literally the only one I've seen in Victoria that has a soul and an identity

They've added even more seats since I went to it for a Supercross a few years back and it looks awesome

Need to keep playing Storm pre-season matches there and maybe even take one to Hobart as well in 2025

You always get people not show up. Unless you make Tunnels to get into the ground.

Getting in and out of the ground even at Homebush is the issue

Iamback

Coach
True, but if Penrith end up with a similar level of coverage, they'll be a 20k+ team forever

They are already at 20k team. Just it was a months worth of rain in a day that stopped that and will continue to do so.

particularly as the close parking areas will be gone. So a further walk in such conditions cancels out the undercover seating

Billythekid

First Grade
They are already at 20k team.
Well they are when they win 3 premierships back to back and are dominating for a fourth straight season. I think it’s a little too soon to take that as averaging 20K forever. Any club in the league with a ground that holds 20K would easily average that much with the same form.

Latest posts