What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Valheru

Coach
Saints should think about taking the Anzac Day game to Homebush every 2 years when it’s a home game. I reckon they would get 50K plus. And it avoids a situation like this year of playing the roosters twice at their home ground. Win-win. Not the games of course. They will be lose-lose
SFS is the correct location for that game. Sure, ANZ might get 50k plus when both are going well but the atmosphere at the SFS on that day is hard to beat

To be fair to the dragons and their fans, I've heard no desire form them to move it.

T-Boon

Coach
you think if the Eels were travelling better than would have pushed 55-60k...

I don’t know.
Once you watch games at a great viewing stadium it’s very hard to go slum it at a cricket field type ground with horrible views.
It might be that even with eels doing well the fans refuse to go to stadium Australia or some of these other suburban grounds.

yakstorm

First Grade
SFS is the correct location for that game. Sure, ANZ might get 50k plus when both are going well but the atmosphere at the SFS on that day is hard to beat

To be fair to the dragons and their fans, I've heard no desire form them to move it.
Agree with this. With the major marches and celebrations all being based in the city, it doesn't work the same playing the game anywhere else. I can also guarantee that if suddenly we vacated Moore Park on ANZAC Day that either AFL or Union would try to fill that gap very quickly.

The one game they did play out at Accor just was not great. I know it was named at 21K, but it was a questionable 21K, and it was also in a year both the Dragons & Roosters did ok.

SouthsCountry

Juniors
Yep

A definite misstep by the club. I said the same last year yet they doubled down this year.

Cowboys would have been the perfect game to take there.
No all-Sydney games should be taken regionally...but more of the low-drawing interstate games could be.

Souths could easily have taken their home game against the Warriors to Gosford instead of the Tigers game.

Souths Tigers drew 21k last year for reference, and it was a freezing arvo from memory

SouthsCountry

Juniors
Sure, but the code can't rely on public holidays so that it could attract big attendances. Have a look at this weekend. It is "Beanies for Brain Cancer" round. For a great cause, every game should be treated as an event.
We shouldn't rely on them as the only thing, but it's dumb to first of all forego an "event game" and secondly give a free kick to your biggest rival on TV

With PVL being a great businessman, I hope he seizes the opportunity

T-Boon

Coach
No all-Sydney games should be taken regionally...but more of the low-drawing interstate games could be.

Souths could easily have taken their home game against the Warriors to Gosford instead of the Tigers game.

Souths Tigers drew 21k last year for reference, and it was a freezing arvo from memory
Manly and Cronulla fans don’t travel at all so any game involving either of those teams could be moved.

The_Wookie

Bench
One of the reasons it’s on the upswing is because we took games away from Accor. Some of you have the memory of a goldfish. Penrith vs Souths like 4 weeks ago? Anyone remember that or am I on a different planet. Yesterday was a public holiday and the first time in 15 years Dogs haven’t been horrendous.

There is literally no reason the Eels should move any games from Commbank. It’s the best ground in Sydney to watch rugby league. If anything our goal should be to sell out Commbank every week and do what the Warriors are doing but that won’t be possible this year because we suck.

Not saying you should play every game at Accor. Public Holiday game in the afternoon at Accor Stadium with dual membership access though

Steel Saints

Juniors
We shouldn't rely on them as the only thing, but it's dumb to first of all forego an "event game" and secondly give a free kick to your biggest rival on TV

With PVL being a great businessman, I hope he seizes the opportunity
Where did i say that we should "forego an event game'?

Steel Saints

Juniors
Why not though? Public Holidays are already 'events' in people's calendars in the fact they are important and don't happen all the time, anchoring around them, especially having regular fixtures on set dates, helps feed that perception that it is a match worth attending regardless of where on the ladder team's are. (Good Friday & Kings Birthday are great examples of that this year where both teams were in the lower half of the ladder yet still drew above average crowds).

Of course that's not to say that we shouldn't be trying other initiatives to help improve the importance of a match, like Beanies for Brain Cancer round, but we also have to be realistic that it's very hard to make something that happens 10+ times a year at the same venue an 'event' and also appreciate that round based concepts also don't resonate with teams equally (Beanies for Brain Cancer has traditionally worked well for Newcastle, but not other markets, WIL round has traditionally been big for Penrith, but not as big for other clubs).
You can maximise PH. I suggested around six weeks ago that Canberra should host a match on ANZAC eve.

When you look at the current season schedule, from rounds 1 to 14, there's:

*Las Vegas
*Easter
*Anzac Day
*Magic Round
*Kings Birthday

Now we are in the second half of the season. What events occur from rounds 15 to 27??

Iamback

Coach
You can maximise PH. I suggested around six weeks ago that Canberra should host a match on ANZAC eve.

When you look at the current season schedule, from rounds 1 to 14, there's:

*Las Vegas
*Easter
*Anzac Day
*Magic Round
*Kings Birthday

Now we are in the second half of the season. What events occur from rounds 15 to 27??

There is no public holidays but that is where you can make other events.

No reason every club can't have 1 event game each

Latest posts