What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Valheru

Coach
Averages after Rd 1 of the NRL and the ''Opening Round'' of the AFL

Overall:
AFL: 29,175
NRL: 28,038

Sydney Roosters: 40,746
Manly Sea Eagles: 40,746

Sydney Swans: 40,012
Brisbane Lions: 33,367
Redcliffe Dolphins: 32,477
Parramatta Eels: 29.171
New Zealand Warriors: 24,076
Newcastle Knights: 22,378

Gold Coast Suns: 22,086
GWS Giants: 21,235
Melbourne Storm: 20,169
Gold Coast Titans: 14,537

Brisbane:

Lions: 33,367
Dolphins: 32,477

Gold Coast:
Suns: 22,086
Titans: 14,537

Sydney
AFL: 30,624
NRL: 29,171

Swans: 40,012
Eels: 29,171
Giants: 21,235
When looking at these types of of stats I don't think we should be counting Vegas in club or competition averages.

When we analyse averages we really want to look at how many people are willing to watch their team week in week out at their regular stadium. Vegas was an event and is not indicative of that stat and such events as well as magic round artificially increase averages.

One the flip side games at Bathurst, sunshine coast etc artificially decrease the averages and I also wouldn't count them.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
When looking at these types of of stats I don't think we should be counting Vegas in club or competition averages.

When we analyse averages we really want to look at how many people are willing to watch their team week in week out at their regular stadium. Vegas was an event and is not indicative of that stat and such events as well as magic round artificially increase averages.

One the flip side games at Bathurst, sunshine coast etc artificially decrease the averages and I also wouldn't count them.
That's exactly what I've done. I've done an overall average including all matches and then broken it down by city counting only matches played in the home city of each club.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Not really, best Broncos have is a 2 game package which will cost $40 a game adult or $20 a game kids behind sticks. Saving is $9/$7 on full price.
I have just bought a three game membership for $140.. cheap as chips and there were definitely 1 game memberships on offer when I phoned them.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Whoever produced end of year stats last year of home ground avg was by far the most useful data in looking at genuine crowd numbers a club has. None of the special event fudging or regional game artificial dragging down. .

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Whoever produced end of year stats last year of home ground avg was by far the most useful data in looking at genuine crowd numbers a club has. None of the special event fudging.
If you read my post, I've broken it down by city and I've only included matches played in that club's home city.

Not sure what you mean by fudging anyway. If the NRL can put on an event in Vegas or Magic Round at Suncorp and people pay for each game and show up to each game that is legitimate attendance. Are you pissed off because AFL had to make a poor man's version of Magic Rd and Vegas?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you read my post, I've broken it down by city and I've only included matches played in that club's home city.

Not sure what you mean by fudging anyway. If the NRL can put on an event in Vegas or Magic Round at Suncorp and people pay for each game and show up to each game that is legitimate attendance. Are you pissed off because AFL had to make a poor man's version of Magic Rd and Vegas?
Personally my interest in crowds is in how clubs are pulling at home on a regular basis. Out of town double headers, regional games etc just skew the overall avg's to the point they are well a bit pointless. The stats at end of last year were far more useful than the general avg ones that are skewed by things like 45k in Perth or 40k in Vegas or 7k in Bathurst.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Personally my interest in crowds is in how clubs are pulling at home on a regular basis. Out of town double headers, regional games etc just skew the overall avg's to the point they are well a bit pointless. The stats at end of last year were far more useful than the general avg ones that are skewed by things like 45k in Perth or 40k in Vegas or 7k in Bathurst.
Again, further down in my post I've broken in down by city only including matches played in the club's home city

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again, further down in my email I've broken in down by city only including matches played in the club's home city
Im not specifically replying to your post lol. Just the general data around crowds and what I find interesting in response to Valherus comment .

jim_57

Staff member

No reason it can’t be counted in the total average but also have an ‘average at main home ground’ or ‘average in home city/region’ as well to give an accurate picture on that.

Another reason I wouldn’t mind seeing every club host an ‘event’ game. The 8/9 teams that don’t host Magic play as the home team for a round’s worth of event games scattered throughout the year.

Vlad59

Juniors

By fudging he means anything that makes the NRL look good

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Okay so back to crowd watch...

@SLRBRONCOS what do ya reckon for Thursday? any chance of it being higher than 35k? You also have the best insights on GIO as well, so any chance Raiders crack 20k?

35k at Suncorp - unlikely but not impossible. We will need a lot of our GA and stadium members to show. Weather looks ok, so there is a chance. I think 33-34k is more likely. Disappointed with the Broncos though. We should have repriced 639 and 604 from 'sideline' ($85 a pop) to 'corners' ($32 a pop), they'd quickly sell then and that would get us an extra 1500 odd people.

Black line - pretty much sold. A few held seats in the lower corners have been released today but they'll sell quickly.
Pink line - stadium members and GA areas, will look 60-70% full.
Blue line - selling as 'sideline', should be repriced.

Maybe 718 and 718 will be released as 'corner' category soon. Identical sales + 721 and 722 were sold to our game against Penrith last year and 33k+ showed up, and it was a bit wet then. So we should really see 33-34k.

suncorp.gif

20k at GIO - nope! GIO sales look ok and it looks like cracking weather in Canberra after a string of really warm days which would be shit in the sun at 3pm. My guess would be 13-14k.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
My R2 Crowd Estimates:

Thursday 14 March
~34,000 Broncos vs Rabbitohs at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

Friday 15 March
~12,500 Sharks vs Bulldogs at PointsBet Stadium, Cronulla (note, morning/afternoon showers forecast)
~20,500 Panthers vs Eels at BlueBet Stadium, Penrith (note, morning/afternoon showers forecast)

Saturday 16 March
~18,000 Raiders vs Tigers at GIO Stadium, Canberra
~19,000 Cowboys vs Knights at QLD Country Bank Stadium, Townsville
~18,000 Storm vs Warriors at AAMI Park, Melbourne

Sunday 17 March
~17,000 Sea Eagles vs Roosters at Four Pines Park, Manly
~10,000 Dolphins vs Dragons at Kayo Stadium, Redcliffe

Round aggregate: 149,000
Round average: 18,625

Id say that Thursday crowd will be less but would be good if they can get around 35,000.

Sharks/Dogs definitely a full house but maybe just under 12k

Panthers/Eels, Id say 21,000, Eels had a big win, Panthers first home game since they were premiers but of course its the big rivalry that always gets a packed house.

I reckon 12-13k for the Raiders game. Cowboys big win should get over 20,000. Storm and Warriors, very unusual for that game being this early, Id say close to 20k unless a lot of fans from the AFL will go there.

Definitely agree with the Sunday games.

Latest posts