What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

DIOGENES

Juniors
I have to agree - it is a very fair and well done resource, even though his first love is AFL.
He counts magic round as individual games and his numbers are therefore different from LU

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
As someone living in Melbourne and having lived in Sydney...

Storm averaging 40k seems unlikely. 25-30k maybe but not 40k. Any time they've had the chance to play a regular season game at Docklands the crowds have flopped.

In Sydney I think the ebb and flow of attendances comes down to the success of clubs like Canterbury and Parramatta, and even St George Illawarra. When those clubs are firing, big crowds are a given. Venues as they are probably fine apart from facilities upgrades/modernisation.
With Melbourne though, I'm asking as a long term view long after AAMI has been upgraded to 45 / 50k

Jamberoo

Juniors
As someone living in Melbourne and having lived in Sydney...

Storm averaging 40k seems unlikely. 25-30k maybe but not 40k. Any time they've had the chance to play a regular season game at Docklands the crowds have flopped.

In Sydney I think the ebb and flow of attendances comes down to the success of clubs like Canterbury and Parramatta, and even St George Illawarra. When those clubs are firing, big crowds are a given. Venues as they are probably fine apart from facilities upgrades/modernisation.
Crowds didn’t flop at Marvel last year. They were higher than the AAMI average.

Jamberoo

Juniors
I was aware of that stipulation when AAMI was built, but surely it can't be an ongoing rule, that amounts to restricting one business to favour another which gets you into merky waters as a Government
There is no such agreement with the government or the AFL. Simply that the fancy roof design means that it is very, very difficult and expensive to do any expansion, despite the foundations being capable of supporting more weight.

Wb1234

Referee
Question for those in Melbourne and Sydney respectively...

Forget the current capacity of AAMI, because for the purposes of this question we are going to assume there has been an upgrade at some stage in the coming decades. Do we ever see Melbourne Storm Averaging 40k+?

For those in Sydney, can we see someone like a Roosters at Allianz or Bulldogs at a new Liverpool or revamped rectangular Accor ever averaging 40k+?

For me, it is possible with the Storm given, like I said a bigger ground, given time and the fact that they are marketing themselves well as the team for all Melbournians. It's actually incredible to think they've already crept up to averaging 20k in Melbourne. As the Storm team becomes more of a staple down there and there are a handful of genuine world class Victorians in the team I can see it.

Sydney I'm less certain about... it's probably more hopeful than anything else. I love what the Roosters are trying to do, glamour club, in the big end of town club, marketed as Sydney, rather than Easts, playing in the city's best stadium. I love what's happened with Parra and Commbank, I think the Dogs and Souths have potential if they can get the right stadium. Will we ever see one or more Sydney clubs really break out into that 40k+ range?
In Sydney unlikely

potentials are dogs eels and souths

they would need to have a good run at the top of the table to get there

30k is a more realistic target

storm can keep growing

the origin crowd this year showed league is still growing down there but what happens when Bellamy goes ?

Vlad59

Bench
There is no such agreement with the government or the AFL. Simply that the fancy roof design means that it is very, very difficult and expensive to do any expansion, despite the foundations being capable of supporting more weight.
Looking forward to your response to my posts about the Hobart stadium where I managed to prove you got every fact wrong about it. You went very very quiet after that…….

Jamberoo

Juniors
Looking forward to your response to my posts about the Hobart stadium where I managed to prove you got every fact wrong about it. You went very very quiet after that…….
Actually I have been away. But I still disagree with you about Hobart. None of what you stated were facts, just opinions. Time will tell on that one.

I found your lack of knowledge about the stadium situation in Melbourne equally amusing.

Vlad59

Bench
Actually I have been away. But I still disagree with you about Hobart. None of what you stated were facts, just opinions. Time will tell on that one.

I found your lack of knowledge about the stadium situation in Melbourne equally amusing.
Nice try. They weren’t my opinions. They were facts. All of them. Fact is you were completely wrong on every count. The 200000 credit card entries was stupid and hilarious. Sometimes you’ve just got to admit you are wrong. And boy were you wrong.

Vlad59

Bench

re the Melbourne stadium I wrote ‘apparently’ by the way.

Valheru

Coach
Category 2 GA on the sideline has now sold out, so fair to say it has helped at least move those sideline seats. Outside of the Away supporter bay, all Level 1 sideline bays are now either down to single seats or sold out, which is very encouraging.

Category 1 tickets on Level 2 are almost gone as well, so hopefully we'll see the club open up some more bays on the second level. Corporates for Sunday have also sold strongly, with only a few captains club seats left. Looking more like a 20K+ crowd which is great signs, hopefully the weather is good on Sunday and the match pushes closer to 25K.
Thanks for the insight. They are doing the same promo again tonight.

Valheru

Coach
If the weather plays nice I think they'll comfortably get over 25k.
Weather forecast seems to change hourly, don't think they have any idea on this occasion.

It does look like it will be drizzle/scattered showers as opposed to consistent rain if it is wet over the weekend so hopefully doesn't effect the crowd too much.

Latest posts