What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
It's going to make the 40k average this year even more impressive considering how many big games were weather affected.
v Cowboys
v Dolphins
v Roosters
v Raiders
v Penrith

All rain affected. The Raiders game game might damage our average the most. That was a Saturday night which are so popular for families and ticket sales were going so well until the day of.

The Dolphins, Cowboys, and Penrith games were all sold out in advance so it probably only knocked out 1-2k members.

The_Wookie

Bench
There is no such agreement with the government or the AFL. Simply that the fancy roof design means that it is very, very difficult and expensive to do any expansion, despite the foundations being capable of supporting more weight.

The Government who built and owns the vene doesnt need an agreement with itself. The AFL did not own a stadium at the time Aami Park was constructed, and the venue was limited by design as part of the Victorian Governments then 3 tier stadium strategy, which sees Aami park able to hold anything to 30k, Docklands anything to 56k, and the MCG anything over that.

Billythekid

First Grade
Question for those in Melbourne and Sydney respectively...

Forget the current capacity of AAMI, because for the purposes of this question we are going to assume there has been an upgrade at some stage in the coming decades. Do we ever see Melbourne Storm Averaging 40k+?

For those in Sydney, can we see someone like a Roosters at Allianz or Bulldogs at a new Liverpool or revamped rectangular Accor ever averaging 40k+?

For me, it is possible with the Storm given, like I said a bigger ground, given time and the fact that they are marketing themselves well as the team for all Melbournians. It's actually incredible to think they've already crept up to averaging 20k in Melbourne. As the Storm team becomes more of a staple down there and there are a handful of genuine world class Victorians in the team I can see it.

Sydney I'm less certain about... it's probably more hopeful than anything else. I love what the Roosters are trying to do, glamour club, in the big end of town club, marketed as Sydney, rather than Easts, playing in the city's best stadium. I love what's happened with Parra and Commbank, I think the Dogs and Souths have potential if they can get the right stadium. Will we ever see one or more Sydney clubs really break out into that 40k+ range?
20K is already a hard enough barrier, 40K is a whole universe away. Regularly selling out a 30K stadium would already be an absolutely incredible result. If we ever reach that point we can always move the odd game to a bigger stadium but I don’t think that’s super necessary tbh.

I don’t see a Sydney team coming close to a 40K average in Sydney and I think that’s an unrealistic goal anyway. Looking around internationally that’s a pretty high bar for any sports team.

I know this might sound crazy and biased but I think the knights are one of if not the only teams I could see even coming close to that average. If there was a Suncorp stadium in Newy and they had a few good years and maybe won a comp I could see the knights easily cracking 30K.
With Melbourne though, I'm asking as a long term view long after AAMI has been upgraded to 45 / 50k
Personally for storm games I don’t see this ever being necessary and I think having AAMI park selling out regularly would be a more realistic and positive goal.

The main benefit would be having a bigger rectangular stadium to cater for events like international sport etc

Vlad59

Bench
20K is already a hard enough barrier, 40K is a whole universe away. Regularly selling out a 30K stadium would already be an absolutely incredible result. If we ever reach that point we can always move the odd game to a bigger stadium but I don’t think that’s super necessary tbh.

I don’t see a Sydney team coming close to a 40K average in Sydney and I think that’s an unrealistic goal anyway. Looking around internationally that’s a pretty high bar for any sports team.

I know this might sound crazy and biased but I think the knights are one of if not the only teams I could see even coming close to that average. If there was a Suncorp stadium in Newy and they had a few good years and maybe won a comp I could see the knights easily cracking 30K.

Personally for storm games I don’t see this ever being necessary and I think having AAMI park selling out regularly would be a more realistic and positive goal.

The main benefit would be having a bigger rectangular stadium to cater for events like international sport etc
Great post but last sentence was the best

BunniesMan

Immortal
Everyone knows one of the foundational facts of our game is when South Sydney is flying, rugby league is flying. Right now we are the form team of the comp. Our success is always a rising tide that lifts all boats. I can see everyones crowd averages lift in the remainder of the season simply because rugby league becomes more of a watercooler conversation topic because of us.

Love us or hate us but when we do well we put the game on the map. I would not be surprised if crowds for every team go up 20%.

SouthsCountry

Juniors
Everyone knows one of the foundational facts of our game is when South Sydney is flying, rugby league is flying. Right now we are the form team of the comp. Our success is always a rising tide that lifts all boats. I can see everyones crowd averages lift in the remainder of the season simply because rugby league becomes more of a watercooler conversation topic because of us.

Love us or hate us but when we do well we put the game on the map. I would not be surprised if crowds for every team go up 20%.
We need to move to Allianz otherwise we ourselves won't even capitalise on it

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

Lol you are jumping in every thread with crackhead energy tonight

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
v Cowboys
v Dolphins
v Roosters
v Raiders
v Penrith

All rain affected. The Raiders game game might damage our average the most. That was a Saturday night which are so popular for families and ticket sales were going so well until the day of.

The Dolphins, Cowboys, and Penrith games were all sold out in advance so it probably only knocked out 1-2k members.

42,433 @ Suncorp.
Best fans in the game

There is no such agreement with the government or the AFL. Simply that the fancy roof design means that it is very, very difficult and expensive to do any expansion, despite the foundations being capable of supporting more weight.
there was, a stadium over x capacity couldnt be built for x number of years. thats why they built the foundations at aami to hold bigger stands but the roof design makes it to expensive to do.
heaps of chat about it when oz was biding for the soccer world cup

The stadium was initially proposed to have a seating capacity of 20,000, upgradeable to 25,000. This was due to both expected demand, as well as a state government agreement with Docklands Stadium that no stadiums with a capacity greater than 30,000 would be constructed in Melbourne before 2010. These plans were revised after the Victory refused to commit to playing at a stadium of such small capacity, having achieved an average attendance of over 27,000 since their move to the Docklands Stadium in the 2006–07 A-League Season.

lthough the stadium was built with foundations to allow for future expansion to 50,000, the roof was not designed with this in mind, and so the stadium cannot be expanded without major construction work

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

From where we are right now to 40k average absolutely is a universe away, but I don't see why our game can't build to having Broncos, Dolphins a big Sydney club and Melbourne all average 40k+ in 30 years time.

1. I think Dolphins will get up there with the Broncs in time

2. Sydney is our biggest market and with the right team and stadium combo, surely we should be able to have one team crack 40k. If it's achievable by another code in Sydney, it's achievable by us.

3. Melbourne is supposedly the sporting capital of Australia. The Storm seems to have a good rusted on 15-20k fans and are quickly becoming everyone's second team (a team to unite Melbourne). Again, if another code can achieve this in Sydney, we should be able to achieve it (with time and ground capacity increases) in Melbourne who follow their teams in greater numbers.

I know none of the above will be quick or easy but it's a vision we should have for our game.

jim_57

Staff member

If/When Storm are regularly selling out AAMI & averaging 25k+ it’s still hard to see them upsizing AAMI. Maybe just maybe if Victory were getting a few sellouts a year and FFA could help with some guarantees of a few Socceroos & Matilda’s games guaranteed for so many years once completed.

Before anyone gets to 40k, except for the Broncos I don’t think any other team has ever cracked 30k. Currently the only clubs capable of getting 30k average would be Bulldogs, Rabbitohs & Roosters as their stadiums are the only ones big enough. Dolphins too but they’d need to ditch the Kayo stadium games you’d imagine.

Warriors or Knights would be my pick, both obviously need an upgrade or a new stadium to make that happen which should happen in both cases but may take a while.

t-ba

Post Whore
Less than 1k tickets remain for NQ v Manly tonight.

I too would enjoy the spectacle of watching a gangly dude who was once the terror of NRL defences paw ineffectively at players running through the line immediately followed up by him looking constipated.

8,673 at Coffs.

Kind of feel like we need a 15k capacity minimum for regional venues to ensure we get 10k in icky conditions.

Jordan23

Juniors
If the NRL want to maximise crowds the Sharks vs Titans should have been on the Thursday night, and Parra Vs Souths on Friday
Realistically Coffs game gets the same and the Parra game gets an additional 4-5k

Latest posts