What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

yakstorm

First Grade
i think they need to be getting more Storm fans there after 25 years ..20 at the top of the table ..,13k “ rusted ons” ain’t cutting it
Outside of Broncos, Knights & Cowboys can you name another team in the NRL who has more than 13K rusted on fans?

Plenty of teams have decent bandwagons, but generally don't have a huge amount more who turn up when things aren't going great.

Storm have attracted crowds over 20K 5x times this year, including against Penrith, Souths & Newcastle who all have very small supporter numbers in Melbourne, so on top of the 13K rusted on, there is definitely a broader audience in Melbourne who will turn up to matches.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Outside of Broncos, Knights & Cowboys can you name another team in the NRL who has more than 13K rusted on fans?

Plenty of teams have decent bandwagons, but generally don't have a huge amount more who turn up when things aren't going great.

Storm have attracted crowds over 20K 5x times this year, including against Penrith, Souths & Newcastle who all have very small supporter numbers in Melbourne, so on top of the 13K rusted on, there is definitely a broader audience in Melbourne who will turn up to matches.

we are talking about a one team town of 5 million … not Newcastle or the cowboys … would the Warriors have more ?

when have things ever been “non bandwagon” for the Storm last 20:years ? One year … how would things be going if they missed the finals say three years in a row?

moffla

Bench
we are talking about a one team town of 5 million … not Newcastle or the cowboys … would the Warriors have more ?

when have things ever been “non bandwagon” for the Storm last 20:years ? One year … how would things be going if they missed the finals say three years in a row?
If my grandmother had wheels she would have been a bike. Year on year there is steady growth, shouldn’t that be celebrated?

t-ba

Post Whore
I would assume it's the same reason the Swans don't draw as well as half of the Victorian clubs in the AFL despite having a city of 5 million all to themselves and what is now decades (with a few bodge seasons here and there) essentially at the pointy end of the table.

It's not traditionally a place where the sport is widely followed and the fact they're outdrawing plenty of teams from the heartlands is probably a good result!

RedVee

First Grade
I'm not the diviner of Melbourne success.

My point was more about the fact that the Roosters fans skew young and haven't yet started moving around the country because of adult shit, like how the Dragons used to draw really well on the Gold Coast but now less so because all the old bastards who retired to Mermaid Waters have started dying off.
And I guess their grandkids are Titans, Broncos os Dolphins fans

yakstorm

First Grade
Total population doesn't equal Rugby League supporter base. There would be more RL supporters in the Hunter & surrounds than Melbourne.

Warriors have averaged 14K over their entire life and have multiple seasons under 10K, so it's fair to say their 'base' is around 13K.

Possibly why the Storm average above their the 'rusted on'. Club averaged over 20K last year across their 12 games, will do similar this year.

Last year they had the 6th largest crowd average, this year they're 5th so far.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Total population doesn't equal Rugby League supporter base. There would be more RL supporters in the Hunter & surrounds than Melbourne.

Warriors have averaged 14K over their entire life and have multiple seasons under 10K, so it's fair to say their 'base' is around 13K.

Possibly why the Storm average above their the 'rusted on'. Club averaged over 20K last year across their 12 games, will do similar this year.

Last year they had the 6th largest crowd average, this year they're 5th so far.

im curious to see how the Storm rusted ons will cope with a few years out of the 8 …it’s inevitable to happen one day ..

BuffaloRules

Coach

Do you think success of the team is also a factor to take into account? How would you compare the Knights and Warriors results to the Storm these past 25 years ?

jim_57

Staff member
im curious to see how the Storm rusted ons will cope with a few years out of the 8 …it’s inevitable to happen one day ..

I’d be interested too as it may force their hand to do more to engage and build their casual fan base. Whilst their crowds are slowly but surely growing I do think that they could do more to expand their fan base.

I live down here and I don’t see them do much promotion or deals to get fans to their games anymore. Maybe I live under a rock because I don’t actively listen to much radio or watch FTA TV in my own time but through work I hear/see my fair share of the isual suspects, can’t remember the last time I heard or saw anything about the Storm plugging an upcoming game. Likewise ticket deals, I remember they did the Marvel stadium deal last year which resulted in 2 higher than normal crowds but don’t think I’ve seen anything this year.

In saying that I eagerly await someone more knowledgeable proving me wrong with all the media engagement and advertising the club does and I’ve just been missing it 😂.