What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Dolphin Oval to Robina Stadium is 122km.

Penrith Football Stadium to Sydney Football Stadium is 59km.

No one would say Panthers vs Roosters is a "local Derby".

How many people from Penrith would travel to Parramatta Stadium to watch Panthers vs Roosters?

Penrith average 17,999 at Penrith Football Stadium.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Dolphin Oval to Robina Stadium is 122km.

Penrith Football Stadium to Sydney Football Stadium is 59km.

No one would say Panthers vs Roosters is a "local Derby".

How many people from Penrith would travel to Parramatta Stadium to watch Panthers vs Roosters?

Penrith average 17,999 at Penrith Football Stadium.
Plus the little fact that 20k is a perfectly fine crowd, I wish all NRL crowds were that shit.

RedVee

First Grade
Given how cold it is in Canberra at the moment (-0.2°C windchill), any crowd attendance figure over 10,000 would be a success.

I honestly don't understand why Canberra don't play more home games in the Sunday 2pm timeslot during winter. Tonight is their 3rd home game in the Sunday 6:15pm timeslot
Maybe they think the opposition are less less used to the conditions than they are, and it is an advantage?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
For context... here's some Broncos crowds from as recently as 2019:

v Dragons 21k
v Tigers 24k
v Bulldogs 20k
v Panthers 23k

And here's some from their second season in 1989 in a RL mad city with absolutely zero competition:

v Panthers 14k
v Balmain 13k
v Newcastle 13k
v Illawarra 13k
v Gold Coast 19,992 (hmm)

Diesel

Referee
Anyone disappointed with 19533 at Suncorp isn’t aware of the phenomenon which is the M1 on a Sunday between Brisbane and the GC. In short… the traffic is f**ked.
I was at the game and it was 90% Dolphins fans, with the rest either neutral or GC. Only a modest amount of Titans fans but they were loud when FT whistle sounded

Vlad59

Bench
Penrith have competed in four grand finals since 2020. They can only draw an average of 17,999. God help them when they go back to being wooden spooners.
Penrith average 8% of its population at home games. 4% of people in Penrith play rugby league. Find another club with a superior attendance and participation record. Good luck.

t-ba

Post Whore
Anyone disappointed with 19533 at Suncorp isn’t aware of the phenomenon which is the M1 on a Sunday between Brisbane and the GC. In short… the traffic is f**ked.
I was at the game and it was 90% Dolphins fans, with the rest either neutral or GC. Only a modest amount of Titans fans but they were loud when FT whistle sounded

Mate trackwork and roadworks made shit pretty f**ked WRT to getting from one side of the bridge to the other last night. It took me nearly 2 hours to get to Chatswood after the game last night lol.

There's always gonna be excuses.

What those critical of Sydney clubs (not you) and their attendances should appreciate that this is something that can cut both ways. Now I reckon Sydney can do a lot better but there are plenty out in force who hang shit on our crowds making a million (who knows, possibly justified) excuses about QLD crowds now.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
Mate trackwork and roadworks made shit pretty f**ked WRT to getting from one side of the bridge to the other last night. It took me nearly 2 hours to get to Chatswood after the game last night lol.

What those critical of Sydney clubs (not you) and their attendances should appreciate that this is something that can cut both ways.
I’m sure track work is scheduled by the all-evil afl each time there is an NRL game on in Sydney or Brisbane

t-ba

Post Whore
I’m sure track work is scheduled by the all-evil afl each time there is an NRL game on in Sydney or Brisbane

It's pretty bad this weekend.

The Metro is opening next weekend so I'm assuming they need the North Shore line humming so nothing embarrassing happens with the trains that feed into it.

Hopefully this is the last time the North Shore is without trains on the Weekend now that we have two train lines.

Now if the Western Metro gets extended to the SFS, I will die happy.

What those critical of Sydney clubs (not you) and their attendances should appreciate that this is something that can cut both ways. Now I reckon Sydney can do a lot better but there are plenty out in force who hang shit on our crowds making a million (who knows, possibly justified) excuses about QLD crowds now.
The difference is a crowd of 19,533 would be considered huge for a Sydney team. When a Brisbane team gets it people claim it's like Manly getting 8.5k.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Also want to add...

I think the crowds for Saturday arvo matches this season goes to show how far the game has grown over the years.

I remember when Saturday arvo matches regularly got sub-10k attendances. The NRL scrapped them in 2001 (introducing the 5:30pm timeslot that year), re-introduced Saturday 3pm matches in 2002 before they got scrapped again at the end of the season because most teams were vehemently opposed to hosting matches in that timeslot. As a result, the Melbourne Storm had to pick up the tab and play a large % of their home games in that timeslot.

Saturday 3pm games were re-introduced towards the end of 2013 (allegedly due to fans wanting more afternoon matches), and the crowds have grown over time since then.

In addition to the brilliant crowd at Suncorp, so far this year, the Bulldogs got 27k and the Gold Coast got 22k (both games were against the Warriors), not to mention Canberra got nearly 20k vs Roosters: something which would've been completely unheard during the era when ABC used to broadcast Saturday arvo games.

A lot has changed since those old Saturday arvo games and when they scrapped them in the early 2000s.

The game day experience has changed, a lot of blockbuster games, matches played at suburban grounds, country towns and not having the same teams play in that time slot. You mentioned in 2002 when they brought it back, I think the reason the Storm kept playing on Saturday arvo was to appeal to the live FTA audience in Melbourne, possibly Ch 9.

Prior to that I think the crowds werent too bad between 98-2000 but before that I recall some matches had crowds around 6,000, one game mightve been Cronulla Vs Gold Coast which is not appealing. But I do recall some games at North Sydney got around 10-12,000.

Plus back then a lot of people were probably doing something different like, junior sports, going to shopping malls, horse racing or betting at pub or TAB outlets.

A lot of people love their afternoon footy now, whether its Saturday or Sunday.

DIOGENES

Juniors
After 21 Rounds
2023 Aggregate 2,824,196 Ave. 18,104
2024 Aggregate 3,010,283 Ave. 19,297

Up 6.6%
For a new H&A record an average of 15,565 is required in the remaining 48 games

For a seq derby on a nice sunny Sunday with dolphins travelling well, yeh it’s not great is it? Dolphins hype dying off already?
Few RL fans in Brisbane care about the Titans. The media calling it up as a "Derby" doesn't make it a sought after event.

The term "Derby" has lost all meaning. The Broncos vs Cowboys game is considered a "Derby" despite Brisbane being closer to Sydney than Townsville.

They got 11k against Manly a while back...

Like uhh...have some perspective?
When was this?

The Thursday night Dolphins vs Sea Eagles game at Lang Park earlier this season drew 14k.

The lowest attendances this year have been shared between Cronulla and St George.

Of the ten games that have drawn less than 10k in 2024, seven of them were at Kogarah, Endeavour and Leichhardt.

Latest posts