What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Wb1234

Referee
Why would the Dragons want to move one of their biggest must win games for the last 10 years away from their home ground?

They would throw away a strong patriotic pro dragons crowd to invite another 10k Bulldogs fans to play at a neutral ground at Allianz. It would destroy every advantage they have of possibly winning the game.

Which is you know, the whole point of football. Winning games.
Make an extra one to two million bucks moving it

Iamback

Coach
Huge difference between 12 home games somewhere and occasional event games that would be spread throughout the clubs. A better analogy would be to look at games like Anzac, easter show etc. where clubs take games to big stadiums and we get great crowds.

Again should be NRL controlled. Guarantees clubs dont lose money and NRl with all its resources can do it right and make some money off it when its done right.

Yes but the Easter show comes in School holidays and is a great crowd boosters but isn't as simple as putting x v x at the same venue a month later and gets the same result.

And when Members/sponsors complain to the club because game got moved and they lost the ability to go to games and clubs then what?

The clubs have always and still are community based. Atleast half of the sponsor do so to stay in touch with the local community. Clubs know this and hence play what is suitable for them. It is why Sharks can make money on a 12k crowd

ouwet

Bench
Why would the Dragons want to move one of their biggest must win games for the last 10 years away from their home ground?

They would throw away a strong patriotic pro dragons crowd to invite another 10k Bulldogs fans to play at a neutral ground at Allianz. It would destroy every advantage they have of possibly winning the game.

I don't know TBH!

St George have been averaging 8,000 at Kogarah.

They didn't beat Melbourne till Saturday (They got flogged the week before), most tickets were gone before Saturday! So Many Bulldog supporters bought tickets ages ago (Me included).

I think the split will be St George 60/40 or at best for St George 70/30.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes but the Easter show comes in School holidays and is a great crowd boosters but isn't as simple as putting x v x at the same venue a month later and gets the same result.

And when Members/sponsors complain to the club because game got moved and they lost the ability to go to games and clubs then what?

The clubs have always and still are community based. Atleast half of the sponsor do so to stay in touch with the local community. Clubs know this and hence play what is suitable for them. It is why Sharks can make money on a 12k crowd
Again if anything it offers a great opportunity to increase corporate support. Not only do they get 9-10 games at the home stadium but 2-3 times a year they get to enjoy a luxury corporate suite at a new stadium. Not only that but MRL could offer the away team use of corporate suites at a reduced rate giving both clubs even better opportunities.

As for members it provides great value add opportunity. Not only do you get all home stadium games, plus your teams home event games but you could get reciprocal access to away event games adding another 2-3 games a year you can see your team in your membership.

Taking 2-3 games a year down the road to better facilities doesnt destroy community. Sharks for example have shown they have more members outside the shire than they do in it.

To counterbalance it a bit all of the non Sydney clubs should have a home game at magic weekend.

Sharks dont make money on a 12k crowd. Hence why they are out buying more pokies and other revenue raising investments.

RedVee

First Grade

Plus hopefully a crowd in the Leagues Club (across the road) before and after

RedVee

First Grade
Unfortunately it won't get to 20K. Last time Kogarah had 20K in it was 2009 with the hill being reclassified since then.

I imagine the crowd will be somewhere around last year's sell out clash against Souths of 17,357 and the 19,173 they got against Melbourne in 2018.
TBH I’m very interested to hear what the crowd ends up. I hope ~ 19,500, maybe they’ll let us kiss 20k.
Shame is the new stand brought us to 22k capacity momentarily… until the first Cronulla game afterwards (from memory) when the Police stopped us filling the hill like we used to. Same everywhere with a hill, I know.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Its got two train stations 5 mins away and is a 15min walk from CBD through Perth's entertainment centre. It doesnt neem any further public transport links.
Hopefully there is covered walkways from the stations and overpasses for main roads from the CBD for attendee safety and all weather comfort.

Iamback

Coach
Again if anything it offers a great opportunity to increase corporate support. Not only do they get 9-10 games at the home stadium but 2-3 times a year they get to enjoy a luxury corporate suite at a new stadium. Not only that but MRL could offer the away team use of corporate suites at a reduced rate giving both clubs even better opportunities.

As for members it provides great value add opportunity. Not only do you get all home stadium games, plus your teams home event games but you could get reciprocal access to away event games adding another 2-3 games a year you can see your team in your membership.

Taking 2-3 games a year down the road to better facilities doesnt destroy community. Sharks for example have shown they have more members outside the shire than they do in it.

To counterbalance it a bit all of the non Sydney clubs should have a home game at magic weekend.

Sharks dont make money on a 12k crowd. Hence why they are out buying more pokies and other revenue raising investments.

Because take Ray White Sutherland or Cronulla carpets who sponsor Sharks. There is zero in it for them out of Allianz as their potential customers are based locally.

Every Sydney Clubs has several sponsors in this same boat. Again clubs would move IF it was viable

You are looking at a few hundred $k from local guys. Plus the higher ground rental. That is also assuming the game you picked to move has good weather and both teams have form to justify it.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Because take Ray White Sutherland or Cronulla carpets who sponsor Sharks. There is zero in it for them out of Allianz as their potential customers are based locally.

Every Sydney Clubs has several sponsors in this same boat. Again clubs would move IF it was viable

You are looking at a few hundred $k from local guys. Plus the higher ground rental. That is also assuming the game you picked to move has good weather and both teams have form to justify it.

In reality they should be targeting qantas or bhp as sponsors

Not cronulla carpets

Apey

Staff member
Dissapointing to see such low crowds for the girls. Are fans just not as passionate?

Will it take 20, 30 years for it to really start seeing differences?
Besides what was already mentioned (Olympics, timeslots, etc), I think NRLW is still a hard sell to a lot of rusted on league fans. It's pretty cheap to attend but it's still another time and $$ commitment for those who watch NRL religiously. I watch my team play in NRL/NRLW every weekend, and then the other 7 NRL games almost every weekend, so watching any NRLW outside my own team is pushing it.

I attend all the NRLW games that are double-headers for the Knights and I've attended a couple of standalone ones, but it's easy for me being a single dude living a 10 - 15 minute walk from the stadium. Still, the 4,000 odd crowd for the Knights opener was a little disappointing given it's our only standalone game, B2B Premiers & playing one of the best teams. The only real issue was it was Thursday night. We did pretty well for the home final last year though.

All that being said, the crowds will keep growing, it'll just take time.

Latest posts