What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

horrie hastings

First Grade

Wb1234

Referee
Realistically would’ve thought 20 to 25k for dogs manly given the time slot

if they break 30k it’s amazing

If it was the later game then 40k would be a push but happy to be proven wrong

Iamback

Coach
Realistically would’ve thought 20 to 25k for dogs manly given the time slot

if they break 30k it’s amazing

If it was the later game then 40k would be a push but happy to be proven wrong

No quotes in the article. Likely is just a guess but time will tell

PARRA_FAN

Coach
That Storm crowd was incredible, but I suppose the last regular home game, it sometimes gets a big crowd. Their first semi should get a similar crowd.

Not too surprised with the Souths crowd, Souths/Knights isnt appealing at a horrible stadium and both teams out of finals contention.

Frank Burge

Juniors
If a club doesn't already have an attendance culture, I agree with you. Fans who would attend big games & when the team was doing well are unlikely to going to change their behaviour simply because of those other factors.

If a club can capitalise on the good times, then you get scenarios like the Warriors, where despite having an average year have comfortably sold out all their games & have had those attendees turn up in droves despite numerous games being played in terrible weather.

Warriors are highly likely to keep their sold out run going into the new year as they've had record inquiries for memberships for 2025 as people don't want to miss out.

Now Warriors are lucky in that they have a perfect sized ground (25K all seats) for driving this (relative to their supporter base size). Manly & Penrith have achieved similar with their seating options, but unfortunate reality is its hard to replicate that for hills.

Parramatta had a chance at CommBank after making the GF, but did silly things like increase membership prices, cut out free kids memberships with adult memberships, etc, increased game day prices and ultimately stopped any growth.

Unfortunately for the Bulldogs, it's going to be hard for them to build an attendance culture off the back of this year's success, simply because Accor is so big & a really hard ground to make an 'enjoyable experience'. The best they can do is limit how frequently they play there to create scenarios like this Friday where it has been impossible for their bandwagon supporters to attend for the past 7 weeks (Bye, Townsville, Brisbane, Belmore - Sold Out, Kogarah - Sold Out, Bundaberg, Auckland), so when they do have a chance, they turn up in bigger numbers.
As a Parra member since 2011, I would say we have increased our base crowds by 30-40% since Commbank was built . Currently looking at coming last and averaging 18.5k at Commbank games, 2013 also came last if if I recall correctly we averaged 10k at the old stadium. Warriors have done a great job this year but I would say a lot is on the hype of last years run if they can maintain it after a disappointing season I would be very surprised.

Valheru

Coach
Next week

Cowboys Storm 17000
Bulldogs Sea eagles 40000
Panthers Rabbitohs 22000
Eels dragons 17000
Dolphins Broncos 46000
Sharks Warriors 12000
Knights Titans 18000
Roosters Raiders18000

Around 190000 - with a bump here and there 200000. Let the Sharks love begin :)
Could be underselling that roosters crowd, especially if we win today.

The club is doing a good job of trying to make that emergency services fixture an event plus it's kids free for fathers day.

Valheru

Coach
if 40,000 are expected to a game against Manly at 6pm on a Friday, dare I say that 65k+ could be possible for an elimination final against the Dragons on a perfect Saturday twilight, or Sunday afternoon game.

Both sets of fans have been desperate for this.

Maybe my head is in the sky, but I think it's possible. The Bulldogs supporters are out in force, and we can't discredit the Dragons fanbase either.
I don't think the dragons fans belief is quite there yet to make it happen.

Also, dogs members have tickets for next week, they have to pay for a finals fixture which might make a difference

50-55k IMO

Billythekid

First Grade
I’ll believe 40K when I see it. That would be an absof**kinglutely wild crowd for a 6pm time slot and would smash all previous records for that matchup and time slot. Dogs fans are thirsty but that would be one of the best crowds in NRL history IMO.

Also yeah if dogs and dragons face week 1 that crowd is going to pop off.
think this just shows that you can try and do as much as you want for game day experiences, time slots and weather but the biggest factor in crowds will always be success on the field and everything else really has a minimal impact.
I don’t full agree with this. Yes for individual teams they’re going to generally draw bigger crowds when they’re going well, that’s a given. But this year we’ve seen a huge surge in crowds across the board and it’s not like all the teams are just doing better.

Shit the warriors in particular directly contradict what you’re saying. Form is important but it’s not the only factor.
If a club doesn't already have an attendance culture, I agree with you. Fans who would attend big games & when the team was doing well are unlikely to going to change their behaviour simply because of those other factors.

If a club can capitalise on the good times, then you get scenarios like the Warriors, where despite having an average year have comfortably sold out all their games & have had those attendees turn up in droves despite numerous games being played in terrible weather.

Warriors are highly likely to keep their sold out run going into the new year as they've had record inquiries for memberships for 2025 as people don't want to miss out.

Now Warriors are lucky in that they have a perfect sized ground (25K all seats) for driving this (relative to their supporter base size). Manly & Penrith have achieved similar with their seating options, but unfortunate reality is its hard to replicate that for hills.

Parramatta had a chance at CommBank after making the GF, but did silly things like increase membership prices, cut out free kids memberships with adult memberships, etc, increased game day prices and ultimately stopped any growth.

Unfortunately for the Bulldogs, it's going to be hard for them to build an attendance culture off the back of this year's success, simply because Accor is so big & a really hard ground to make an 'enjoyable experience'. The best they can do is limit how frequently they play there to create scenarios like this Friday where it has been impossible for their bandwagon supporters to attend for the past 7 weeks (Bye, Townsville, Brisbane, Belmore - Sold Out, Kogarah - Sold Out, Bundaberg, Auckland), so when they do have a chance, they turn up in bigger numbers.
If the dogs were able to put a few good years together I could see them regularly getting crowds well in excess of 20K. Accor sucks but once you start getting 25K, 30K, 40K etc it’s actually got a decent atmosphere (nothing compare to any decent stadium obviously).

My hope is that as we see crowds slowly increasing the Sydney Derbies in particular will be events worth going to. If we reach the point where’s these games regularly draw big crowds I think it then gets more people wanting to come and experience the atmosphere. That’s how swans games got so popular.

Valheru

Coach
Imagine if it was the later game instead of 6 pm

Just bad luck the doggies in this form in good timeslots wouldve cracked 30k for recent games at accor
The last 6 rounds IMO should have some level of flexibility. Games on the same day should be able to be swapped. Like what difference does having penrith play at 6 make?

It also gives the broadcaster a carrot as well to ensure meaningful games in their slot leading in to the finals.

Next Saturday for example they could move the Brisbane derby in to the later alot and manly/sharks the last day of the season too.

Wb1234

Referee

The Marshall

Juniors
I don’t full agree with this. Yes for individual teams they’re going to generally draw bigger crowds when they’re going well, that’s a given. But this year we’ve seen a huge surge in crowds across the board and it’s not like all the teams are just doing better.

Shit the warriors in particular directly contradict what you’re saying. Form is important but it’s not the only factor.
I didn’t say it’s the only factor but it certainly is the major reason for crowds IMO. The Warriors have done an amazing job capitalising on last years success on the field. It will be interesting to see how long the sell outs last if they don’t climb the table next year.