What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Wb1234

Referee
I unfortunately don't think it will get to 40K. Pre-sales for the game are great and if the match was being played on Saturday or Sunday, I would have more confidence, but 6pm on a Friday will be a difficult time-slot for a number of Bulldogs and Accor Stadium members to get there for kick off.

I hope I'm wrong and they get there in big numbers, but I'm thinking it will be more around 30-32K.
Which is still a great crowd for that time slot

ouwet

Bench
Latest PAX according to Kennel was 40,100 yesterday afternoon.

Level 4 is now selling 412 so I believe that's all Level 4 bays which tickets have/are being sold.

It's 100% tracking more then the Parramatta game however like Yakstorm said 6pm Friday might keep away members of the stadium and Bulldogs.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
So we're looking something like this (conservatively)??

North Queensland Cowboys v Melbourne Storm
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Penrith Panthers v South Sydney Rabbitohs
Parramatta Eels v St George Illawarra Dragons
Dolphins v Brisbane Broncos
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks v Warriors
Newcastle Knights v Gold Coast Titans
Sydney Roosters v Canberra Raiders

jim_57

Staff member
So we're looking something like this (conservatively)??

North Queensland Cowboys v Melbourne Storm
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Penrith Panthers v South Sydney Rabbitohs
Parramatta Eels v St George Illawarra Dragons
Dolphins v Brisbane Broncos
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks v Warriors
Newcastle Knights v Gold Coast Titans
Sydney Roosters v Canberra Raiders

That would be a round record by my count.

I think this just shows that you can try and do as much as you want for game day experiences, time slots and weather but the biggest factor in crowds will always be success on the field and everything else really has a minimal impact.

This is just defeatism. Essentially saying NRL can never emulate the truly prosperous sports leagues around the world.
This is an interesting point and a mentality that is probably fostered by having Rugby League fans still watching their sport on tv (or attending) many half-arsed suburban grounds every week.
This has fed into an inferiority complex type mentality that we are still really only a glorified suburban competition and the defeatist attitude you mention.

kurt faulk

Coach
This is an interesting point and a mentality that is probably fostered by having Rugby League fans still watching their sport on tv (or attending) many half-arsed suburban grounds every week.
This has fed into an inferiority complex type mentality that we are still really only a glorified suburban competition and the defeatist attitude you mention.

You've got to be joking.

The nfl is the biggest league in the world and they have plenty of empty seats for down and out teams. Nobody wants to watch a loser play.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You've got to be joking.

The nfl is the biggest league in the world and they have plenty of empty seats for down and out teams. Nobody wants to watch a loser play.

Chicago Bears had lowest crowd avg last year at 61.7k, in a 62.5k stadium. Next was La Vegas at 62.2k in a 65k stadium. Last year Carolina Panthers where the worse performing team in the NFL with a 2-15 record. They avg'd 71k in a 74k stadium. (note: dont know if they count season tickets in attendances regardless if person shows up or not)

Form certainly plays a big part in any sport in regards to attendance, the trick is to build the attendance when your not doing so well by having the capacity and strategy to build a bigger bandwagon fanbase when you are. That and sell full season memberships so people have already paid and are more likely to turn up regardless of form (see Warriors and Newcastle)

kurt faulk

Coach
Chicago Bears had lowest crowd avg last year at 61.7k, in a 62.5k stadium. Next was La Vegas at 62.2k in a 65k stadium. Last year Carolina Panthers where the worse performing team in the NFL with a 2-15 record. They avg'd 71k in a 74k stadium. (note: dont know if they count season tickets in attendances regardless if person shows up or not)

Form certainly plays a big part in any sport in regards to attendance, the trick is to build the attendance when your not doing so well by having the capacity and strategy to build a bigger bandwagon fanbase when you are. That and sell full season memberships so people have already paid and are more likely to turn up regardless of form (see Warriors and Newcastle)

Tell that to the thousands of empty seats in the stadiums. In mostly one team cities. In a country of 300m+ population.