What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

yakstorm

First Grade
Demand for attendance will drive change. We’ve have so many sellouts this year something has to give
Continued sell outs definitely make the business cases easier, but before then, the sport needs to work out what type of crowd average is the sport aiming for?

Are we trying to be like the AFL & NFL and push our crowds to be as big as possible? Or are we going to settle on trying to average 20-25K and thus still have venues with less than 20K capacity but any works done on them is focused more around optimising the spectator experience (ie. Like the NBA) and then focus on always selling out?

Vlad59

Bench
Continued sell outs definitely make the business cases easier, but before then, the sport needs to work out what type of crowd average is the sport aiming for?

Are we trying to be like the AFL & NFL and push our crowds to be as big as possible? Or are we going to settle on trying to average 20-25K and thus still have venues with less than 20K capacity but any works done on them is focused more around optimising the spectator experience (ie. Like the NBA) and then focus on always selling out?
Some here are only interested in bigger is better. I tend towards the spectator experience approach. Having attended shark park a month ago it’s fair to say the ground is too small AND too uncomfortable at this time. Upgrade it to 18000, which is the plan, and improve the facilities overall and I’d drag my old tired body back there.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I’d say a 25-30k crowd avg is achievable for the nrl. Needs stadiums in the 30-35k range eventually. Will take a few more decades before every team has a 25k+ stadium, or a radical rethink of Sydney games venues.
nearly half of Sydney’s teams still play out of crap stadiums, more than half if you include the soulless Accor.

Iamback

Coach

What is wrong with the current model?

I like that RL plays games in regional areas and not just big, soulless Stadiums

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Yep I'd hate to be like the afl with all sydney teams sharing 2 stadiums. The best part about our game is we have proper home venues for every team.

I don't know how the Victorians do it with just the MCG and Docklands . It makes the comp unbelievably boring.

Progressively upgrading our venues over time is the way forward.

Thankfully I can't see stadium rationalisation ever happening in Sydney . The game is so much better for it.

Billythekid

First Grade
At Newcastle right now. The northern hill is just about full half hour before kick off

This is generally the sign of a decent crowd on the way.
I know it’s a bit windy but it’s a lovely day here in Newy, the beach was beautiful this morning. Hoping the good weather helps the crowd somewhat. Should be 2 massive crowds to finish the season.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Yep I'd hate to be like the afl with all sydney teams sharing 2 stadiums. The best part about our game is we have proper home venues for every team.

I don't know how the Victorians do it with just the MCG and Docklands . It makes the comp unbelievably boring.

Progressively upgrading our venues over time is the way forward.

Thankfully I can't see stadium rationalisation ever happening in Sydney . The game is so much better for it.

Yep. The thing is rugby league is a body contact sport, so it would be difficult to have a genuine home and away season where each team plays each other twice. So the next best thing is for teams to have proper home grounds.

yakstorm

First Grade
What is wrong with the current model?

I like that RL plays games in regional areas and not just big, soulless Stadiums
I'd say the only thing lacking is the broader strategy to support it. At the moment there is nothing guiding the clubs whether they should take games to bigger venues or out to small regional grounds or try to create blockbuster events, etc.

If we're happy to solidify around the 20K - 25K mark and would rather diversity of venues, then that's all doable, it just means say using Penrith's new ground as an example, we could of pushed for a 20K-22K fully enclosed venue versus what we did, which is a 25K venue with the ability for it to be expanded to 30K later.

DIOGENES

Juniors
204 games in H&A this year and the last record year as long ago as 2023.
The record average was last year - I don‘t have it in front of me but was mid 18k. This year will be low 19k.
The previous record average was 2005 @ 16,468
The previous record aggregate was 2012 @. 3153k - this year will end at over 3900k

Wb1234

Immortal
Suncorp (70k) Newcastle (40k) and mt smart (35k) are the most urgently needed upgrades for crowd growth

south’s to Allianz too

dogs have a shot at 25 to 30k average