What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

nko11

Juniors
Victoria has deliberately staggered its stadiums and gets the max use out of all three as a result. Its a deliberate policy of successive governments that saw Docklands unable to be constructed over its 56,000 capacity so as to protect the MCGs interests, and Aami park unable to be easily built over 30k. Rectangle sports can take it or leave it in the southern states. They CAN be played on oval stadiums - Origins, Union tests and football matches have all been played on them, even if its not perfectly ideal.

Love your work mate, so nothing personal. But I don't agree with this. Just because the field fits in, doesn't mean it is adequate. I'm sure if there was no GABBA and the AFL and Cricket had to play out out of Doomben Racecourse, because the field technically fits, they would also make do and play games there. Especially if the government is telling them to 'take it or leave it'. Doesn't mean they would be adequate facilities and nothing would have to change. They would just have no other option in one of the largest markets in Australia, which they would be silly to exit. They just likely wouldn't get medium to higher profile events, see Melbourne currently especially with the recent Womens World Cup.

Do the Storm NEED a stadium with increased capacity outside of finals, I would say no. It's actually pretty perfect size for regular season games for the time being. I do think if they got an Allianz replica their attendance would increase in line with it though.

I also don't like the anti competitive nature of the setup at the moment. Would be like the Swans playing out of a 30k stadium and the only way they can get increased capacity is by playing at Racecourse sized ground owned by the NRL.

Iamback

Coach
Love your work mate, so nothing personal. But I don't agree with this. Just because the field fits in, doesn't mean it is adequate. I'm sure if there was no GABBA and the AFL and Cricket had to play out out of Doomben Racecourse, because the field technically fits, they would also make do and play games there. Especially if the government is telling them to 'take it or leave it'. Doesn't mean they would be adequate facilities and nothing would have to change. They would just have no other option in one of the largest markets in Australia, which they would be silly to exit. They just likely wouldn't get medium to higher profile events, see Melbourne currently especially with the recent Womens World Cup.

Do the Storm NEED a stadium with increased capacity outside of finals, I would say no. It's actually pretty perfect size for regular season games for the time being. I do think if they got an Allianz replica their attendance would increase in line with it though.

I also don't like the anti competitive nature of the setup at the moment. Would be like the Swans playing out of a 30k stadium and the only way they can get increased capacity is by playing at Racecourse sized ground owned by the NRL.

30k in a city of 5m

At some stage AAMI will be too small

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
No one is saying AAMI is shit, it's not, it's an awesome ground and perfect for Storm regular season games.

What's being said is that rectangular sports should have a better option in a city of 5m than playing on a 50k oval owned by a rival or a 100k oval that, whilst has fantastic atmosphere, is sub optimal for RL, RU and soccer.

So what would justify a large world class rectangular ground in addition to AAMI?

Storm finals
1or 2 Storm marquee games
A League GF
A League derby
State of Origin
Wallabies tests
Socceroos
Matildas
Would allow Melbourne to bid for Magic Round

Sure, the MCG is bigger, but a purpose built stadium is always preferable and 50k is a big stadium. For a city the size of Melbourne, 1 rectangular stadium with 30k seats is just not good enough.

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade
When AAMI Park was built, to their credit, the Victorian Government spent the money to build the foundations of the ground so it could be expanded to 50K without needing a whole tear down & rebuild.

That said, even though the ground could be expanded, it would be a hard business case to justify at the moment.

Firstly none of the tenants are filling the ground regularly. The Storm averaged just under 20K, but only had 2 sell outs from its 11 matches.

Victory averaged 11,300 last A-League season, City 8,400 and then Western United I'm pretty sure have moved out completely & the Melbourne Rebels are dead.

Secondly, from a big event perspective, the NRL, Rugby Australia & World Rugby have all shown that if they are going to take big events to Victoria, they are more than happy playing at Docklands or the MCG.

It's only Football (Soccer) that has ever pushed back and then it is only for events like the World Cup or Asian Cup. The Matildas played at Docklands as recently as February this year for their Olympic Qualifiers and the Socceroos last year.

If you're current tenants aren't pushing capacity and the only rectangular sports event that enforces it isn't something we're even guaranteed to win (FIFA Men's World Cup) or unlikely to get again soon (FIFA Women's World Cup, Asian Cup), it is a hard push, especially in the current economic conditions.

ouwet

Bench
idk if this is bullshit but on the kennel they reckon the pax is 40k?

24,000 PAX number as of now (From the kennel) which sounds right and IMO a great number.
Should hopefully hit 30,000 by end of the day and then tick to around 40,000 by Sunday + Corporates/stadium members 45,000 is likely! If sales surge for some reason could hit 50,000.

Billythekid

First Grade
When AAMI Park was built, to their credit, the Victorian Government spent the money to build the foundations of the ground so it could be expanded to 50K without needing a whole tear down & rebuild.

That said, even though the ground could be expanded, it would be a hard business case to justify at the moment.

Firstly none of the tenants are filling the ground regularly. The Storm averaged just under 20K, but only had 2 sell outs from its 11 matches.

Victory averaged 11,300 last A-League season, City 8,400 and then Western United I'm pretty sure have moved out completely & the Melbourne Rebels are dead.

Secondly, from a big event perspective, the NRL, Rugby Australia & World Rugby have all shown that if they are going to take big events to Victoria, they are more than happy playing at Docklands or the MCG.

It's only Football (Soccer) that has ever pushed back and then it is only for events like the World Cup or Asian Cup. The Matildas played at Docklands as recently as February this year for their Olympic Qualifiers and the Socceroos last year.

If you're current tenants aren't pushing capacity and the only rectangular sports event that enforces it isn't something we're even guaranteed to win (FIFA Men's World Cup) or unlikely to get again soon (FIFA Women's World Cup, Asian Cup), it is a hard push, especially in the current economic conditions.
This is all spot on. One day it might make sense but right now it doesn’t really. It certainly isn’t as high as other areas on the priorities list.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Not complaining because there is obvious significant overlap but I am bemused by how much the question of new grounds is debated on front row forums. The actual thread has 35K replies and 10M views! It also spreads into expansion, crowd and TV ratings threads.

Jpw25111

Juniors
What a load of crap. Typical afl fan bull dust. The lack of decent rectangular stadiums has cost the flog ball states high profile events in the past and will into the future. And if wanting a high quality viewing experience for my $300 ticket to a premium event makes me a Prima Donna than count me in as one. Applying your logic football rugby and league fans deserve a second rate experience due to second rate grounds. Shove that right up your derrière.
Please remind me what high profile events afl states have missed out on? I recall a certain megastar earlier this year skipping brisbane.

yakstorm

First Grade
All Category 1 bays are now either sold out or down to single seats at Accor.

Additional bays have been opened up on Level 4 with now 403 - 411 on sale.

H.H

Juniors
I think Victorian based supporters of sport generally follow their team through ebbs and flows.

The best thing that happened for the Melbourne storm is that they have had consistently good form, players for many many years and this will ensure that they have a solid layer of support aiding their growth into the future.

There is a risk that they will not perform at the same level over the next 10 years. However, with players of the calibre that they are having at the moment and being a single state team they are at a definite advantage over other teams.

I think that their ground is perfect. Canberra’s ground very much requires an upgrade. Additional upgrades at local grounds will make a difference as well.

The roosters sustained success over many years has built them a huge base similar to the storm & having wonderful facilities at the SFS allow them to grow into one of the largest sides in Sydney. They could easily compete with the Swans for membership members. Souths back to the SFS would be another wonderful thing.

Kogarah/Belmore/Leichhardt needs an upgrade also.

Leichhardt being upgraded is really important to the NRL as it’s another key market similar to Nth Sydney. Balmain Glebe Drummoyne Hunters hill are very affluent suburbs and we need local teams playing locally to continue our dominance in these areas.

Does anyone know when the dolphins stadium will be upgraded?
Re. the Roosters and the membership, it'd be nice to get to the Swans' number of members but we're hamstrung a little by SFS members who are majority Rooster fans but are never going to buy a Roosters membership. I guess the Swans have a similar issue but I just don't see us getting to those heights.

That said, I think they can definitely steadily increase on the 20k or so members they currently have.

yobbo84

Coach
If the Bulldogs got through the next 2 weeks, the prelim would have to be at Accor.

A Penrith vs Bulldogs prelim would potentially sell out.

Wb1234

Immortal
If the Bulldogs got through the next 2 weeks, the prelim would have to be at Accor.

A Penrith vs Bulldogs prelim would potentially sell out.
What about if they win ?

If roosters or sharks lose it will be at Accor or Allianz ? Either would get massive crowds (Allianz would probs sell out)

Latest posts