What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

^^
I just saw that too. Bit surprised that people in The Kennel forum are disappointed the pax is "so low." I wonder if it's because the regular season pax for the Dogs usually includes members (not to mention weeks of sales, not two days) and that has distorted people's perceptions?

In any case, I think the pax is very good. They've basically outsold the capacity of every other Week 1 finals ground in two days. They're clearly on track for a 40k+ crowd, and how big the "plus" is is probably contingent on the weather.

Sales will slow Wed-Thurs, but the pax should be 35k+ by the time the finals start on Friday, and each game leading up to Sunday will give sales a boost.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Dogs/Manly has till Sunday 4pm to move tickets.

Going to be a massive crowd.

You have pay day on Thursday for most so expect tickets to move quickly on that day.

And centrlink pay goes in when? hahaha

About 1k tickets left for the Cowboys game.

Storm game still has a lot of tickets available, this is the game the NRL needs to push hard to fill the venue.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
^^
I just saw that too. Bit surprised that people in The Kennel forum are disappointed the pax is "so low." I wonder if it's because the regular season pax for the Dogs usually includes members (not to mention weeks of sales, not two days) and that has distorted people's perceptions?

In any case, I think the pax is very good. They've basically outsold the capacity of every other Week 1 finals ground in two days. They're clearly on track for a 40k+ crowd, and how big the "plus" is is probably contingent on the weather.

Sales will slow Wed-Thurs, but the pax should be 35k+ by the time the finals start on Friday, and each game leading up to Sunday will give sales a boost.

True sleeping giant, when was the last time (if ever) a Sydney club had 3 consecutive 30k+ crowds?

Slightly off-topic but when the Bulldogs’ Liverpool 40k capacity stadium idea was doing the rounds most recently many people said that was too big, now we’re seeing it might be about right.

mattyg

Bench
True sleeping giant, when was the last time (if ever) a Sydney club had 3 consecutive 30k+ crowds?

Slightly off-topic but when the Bulldogs’ Liverpool 40k capacity stadium idea was doing the rounds most recently many people said that was too big, now we’re seeing it might be about right.
Prior to that in Sydney, dogs sold out Belmore (easily), 27k against Warriors at 3pm on a Saturday and 2 games prior to that was 45k against Parra.

If the fixture is done well for next year (I.e. actually playing Souths & Panthers at home, Dragons at a friendlier time), the dogs could actually average over 30k if they are as competitive as this year.

yakstorm

First Grade
^^

Corporates is another group that is unlikely to be included in the PAX yet. Considering the venues for Week 1 of the Finals, the NRL will be hosting most of its corporate partners at Accor on Sunday (with AAMI Park likely to also have a significant corporate attendance as well) which will help swell numbers.

I imagine there will be a larger number of Accor Stadium members who attend this week versus the last two matches.

On level 4, Bays 404-410 are down to single seats only, and Bays 403 and 411 are down to limited seats (<5).

Unclear if all seats in Bays 403-411 have been released, but whatever stock is being released is selling very quickly. I suspect the rest of Level 4 East will be on sale tomorrow, and Level 6 East could be on sale as early as Thursday.

1725970790019.png

The_Wookie

Bench
Because their stadiums are shit. Stop defending it.

How about no.

Lol the Victorian Government didnt bid because it was done pre WWC before anyone really thought the matches were worth anything. At the time they were still playing in regional venues and perth.

The_Wookie

Bench
VIC and SA gave up AAMI Park and Coopers, hence why they got the dregs of the competition games. Perth was nuked with nothing.

Thats going to be news to the operators of HBF Park who hosted 5 matches during the Cup.

All VIC had to do was hand over Marvel for 6 weeks during the AFL season and they would have at least got a semi-final and many other larger games.

Its 7 weeks. Not six. And a Bledisloe clash in their as well. And besides it seems that Football Australia just assumed things, and never made formal enquiries or requests to either the MCG, or the AFL, or the Victorian Goverment for that matter. Under the terms of the 2018 AFL-Docklands funding deal, Docklands must be made available to other sports and to events the Vic Gov classes as major for the next 30 years.

negotiations between it, the AFL – which owns Marvel Stadium – and the MCG did not proceed much beyond the polite inquiries stage."
ref: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...ren-t-playing-at-the-mcg-20230717-p5doxk.html

The AFL could have easily survived with the MCG and Geelong during the World Cup, and Victoria would have also reaped the benefits of a major influx of overseas tourism from the World Cup and a boost to their economy.

The average crowd at AFL matches in Melbourne this year exceeded the capacity of Geelong by some margin. Theres no way the MCC or the AFL allow their grounds to sit largely unused for 2 months in the middle of winter.

But no, the fear of the world game and rectangular sports in general showed through, to protect AFL.

The AFL doesnt really need protecting in Victoria.

Their self proclaimed "Sporting Capital of the World" is only perpetrated by them and is a fallacy. They cannot claim this when they continue to ignore the world's biggest sport like they do.

Its not the biggest sport in Victoria by any metric. Not TV, not attendance, not grassroots.

I mean they also claim it based on its hosting the Melbourne Cup, the Australian Open, the Australian Grand Prix, Bledisloe and Origin attendances, the Boxing Day test, and the 3rd highest average attended domestic sporting competition on the planet - noting that the AFLs attendance at Docklands and the MCG alone is also higher than the entire NRL competition. {4.154m v 3.9m].

Everyone but soccer is happy enough.

What is pretty cool is that the NRL just got on with our competition (without some of our major stadiums) and worked alongside another sport and yet we continued to be successful with our own growing attendances during that time.

Which is easy to do when your competition has average crowds of less than 20,000. You can literally host matches almost anywhere. Its a little less tenable when you average 36,000.

Furthermore, Australia is hosting the Woman's FIFA Asian Cup in 2026. It will again be huge, and again the AFL states will be given the dregs.

Western Australia is literally one of three states getting matches. Victoria never even bid for matches.