What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Craigshark

First Grade
Looks like all of Accor has opened up with tickets everywhere, but then when you click on a section through to tickets it says no enough available.

yakstorm

First Grade
He's been waiting to post that 'burn' for 90 days :laughing:

It was worth it !! Got us a beauty :crying_cat_face:
He's had to pick a very specific window as well... had to be 90 days after Origin, but before the Grand Final...

I notice he also didn't want to compare club competition vs club competition... I mean look at those Super Rugby crowds...

1727401814534.png

Iamback

Coach
They might get a better deal at CommBank which is owned by Venues NSW rather than the other venues that I assume are owned by the local council

Possible but in most cases local councils charge minimal rent, It is the lack of corporate areas that hurt at those venues

bazza

Immortal
Possible but in most cases local councils charge minimal rent, It is the lack of corporate areas that hurt at those venues
from a while back - guess it still may apply. I am guessing the other costs are the killer with traffic management, police, security, etc

It will cost St George Illawarra more than $100,000 to unlock the gates at Kogarah Jubilee Oval for Sunday's match against Newcastle.

Had they played the same match at ANZ Stadium, the Dragons would receive $150,000 for simply walking in the door.

The equation wasn't much better for Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night, with operational costs for the match against Melbourne estimated at between $65,000 and $85,000.
Canterbury also incurred costs of $80,000 to host last Sunday's match against Cronulla at Belmore Sports Ground, with the Bulldogs having to pay for fencing, security, big screen televisions and police.

All of those expenses are covered by ANZ Stadium when Canterbury and other clubs, including South Sydney, St George Illawarra, Wests Tigers and Parramatta, play home games there.

Iamback

Coach
from a while back - guess it still may apply. I am guessing the other costs are the killer with traffic management, police, security, etc

It will cost St George Illawarra more than $100,000 to unlock the gates at Kogarah Jubilee Oval for Sunday's match against Newcastle.

Had they played the same match at ANZ Stadium, the Dragons would receive $150,000 for simply walking in the door.

The equation wasn't much better for Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night, with operational costs for the match against Melbourne estimated at between $65,000 and $85,000.
Canterbury also incurred costs of $80,000 to host last Sunday's match against Cronulla at Belmore Sports Ground, with the Bulldogs having to pay for fencing, security, big screen televisions and police.

All of those expenses are covered by ANZ Stadium when Canterbury and other clubs, including South Sydney, St George Illawarra, Wests Tigers and Parramatta, play home games there.

The $150k mentioned for Dragons would of been when ANZ was in direct competition with SCG Trust and paid teams for content to flog off their Stadium Memberships.

I haven't heard of that happening since the merger between the 2 post Covid

If it was that simple. I'd imagine more teams would move even single games to the main Stadiums.

It is a no brainer if costs match up but there would be more too it.

I know it is a different club but the Sharks are capped at 12.5k, making a move even for a couple of games makes sense unless the money doesn't stack up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The $150k mentioned for Dragons would of been when ANZ was in direct competition with SCG Trust and paid teams for content to flog off their Stadium Memberships.

If it was that simple. I'd imagine more teams would move even single games to the main Stadiums.

I know it is a different club but the Sharks are capped at 12.5k, making a move even for a couple of games makes sense unless the money doesn't stack up.
It makes sense if you have the fanbase and the corporate interest to sell to. If you are small/unattractive and have neither it doesn't make sense

bazza

Immortal

don't think it is all about money as I imagine that the NRL handout from TV rights eclipses game day revenue

Perth Red

Post Whore
don't think it is all about money as I imagine that the NRL handout from TV rights eclipses game day revenue
Again depends on how successful you are in building a fanbase and corporate partnerships. A number of clubs earn more from football operations than they do the NRL grant.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

There were a lot of figures flying around in 2015, so not sure how reliable these are. In any case, it had negative repercussions for Saints. Afterwards, crowd numbers at Homebush dropped and home sponsors left.

It appears that the real costs were greater than the carrot on offer.

Unfortunately, it was a just a quick money grab. From a venue standpoint, it was found to be unsustainable.

It was called the "Right Game, Right Venue" strategy. The 'strategy' failed on a number of fronts.

Iamback

Coach
It makes sense if you have the fanbase and the corporate interest to sell to. If you are small/unattractive and have neither it doesn't make sense

Not really. It isn't like there are sponsors wanting to join a team if only another would play out of Allianz.

Sponsors in that area are linked to Roosters or Souffs. Those who buy space at Shark likely don't want the extra travel time or the extra expense

Iamback

Coach

I have no doubt it does but Sharks are competing with much bigger markets. So limiting themselves makes no sense