What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

DIOGENES

Juniors
But try to buy a ticket and all you will get are up to 5 gold and 8 silver in one bay in the 600s. - this does appear dynamic with things popping in and out

Jamberoo

Juniors
It’s the sporting capital of the world apparently. Charge them $1000 each and we’d have a a 100 million dollar game
$1000, no, $400, yes. There are no public tickets available to the other GF, so Melbournians would definitely snap up every available NRL GF ticket. It would be bigger than SOO here, and generate double the revenue of an ACCOR GF, plus whatever the Vic govt will pay to bring it here. Maybe an extra $20m - $25m for the game.

Vlad59

Bench
$1000, no, $400, yes. There are no public tickets available to the other GF, so Melbournians would definitely snap up every available NRL GF ticket. It would generate double the revenue of an ACCOR GF, plus whatever the Vic govt will pay to bring it here. Maybe an extra $20m - $25m for the game.
I was half joking. A mate of mine’s son took his kids to the afl final and paid $6000 for 4 tickets. Left at half time because the children were upset by the score as they were swans fans. I felt a bit ill hearing that.

RedVee

First Grade
Penrith was tiny when they were admitted in the competition. In fact the estimated population of Penrith City at the time was just 12,138, whilst the Blue Mountains had 21,316.

In the 1990s, when they reached their first premiership, it finally got to around 100,000 for the Penrith region.

By early 2000s, Penrith's population rocketed to 171,000 and now it is around 250,000 (and of course all the surrounding areas have exploded as well.)

The population profile also started changing by around mid-90s, from people migrating out there, to expansion from within (which is generally what you need to build a supporter base)

Now I'm not sure what criteria they used to help decide what teams to add in 1967, but whoever decided on Penrith either had incredible long term foresight around the growth of Sydney or simply didn't care about the size of the community underpinning teams.

As others have said, over the next 10-20 years, the club is going to become one of the big clubs. The success + local population growth + strength of RL in the region almost guarantee it.
There was a 2nd Division competition in those days, and going by the table it should have been Wentworthville going up.
I believe Parramatta protested as Wenty are too close to them, and someone in the NSWRL made a great decision to promote Penrith.

As for the other promotion, in my completely biased opinion, I think Wollongong/Illawarra should have been added to the competition in 67. I think they were invited but declined - I’m not 100% sure on that but I think I read that in a story about Bobby Steeler.
St George didn’t protest Cronulla - not that they would have been supported by the other teams anyway - in a spirit of “for the good of the game”, and provided some support to them at different times over the years.

Jamberoo

Juniors
I was half joking. A mate of mine’s son took his kids to the afl final and paid $6000 for 4 tickets. Left at half time because the children were upset by the score as they were swans fans. I felt a bit ill hearing that.
Madness.

$1500 is about what you pay an illegal scalper for a ticket. So, to cut that out, the AFL sells a few thousand ‘special packages’ to the general public with food and drinks for around the same price. It is legalised scalping.

Jamberoo

Juniors
There was a 2nd Division competition in those days, and going by the table it should have been Wentworthville going up.
I believe Parramatta protested as Wenty are too close to them, and someone in the NSWRL made a great decision to promote Penrith.

As for the other promotion, in my completely biased opinion, I think Wollongong/Illawarra should have been added to the competition in 67. I think they were invited but declined - I’m not 100% sure on that but I think I read that in a story about Bobby Steeler.
St George didn’t protest Cronulla - not that they would have been supported by the other teams anyway - in a spirit of “for the good of the game”, and provided some support to them at different times over the years.
Illawarra applied to join the comp in 1967 and would have been granted entry but were blocked by the rest of the NSW Country RL. Cronulla was the second choice for the extra spot after Penrith.

Vlad59

Bench
Madness.

$1500 is about what you pay an illegal scalper for a ticket. So, to cut that out, the AFL sells a few thousand ‘special packages’ to the general public with food and drinks for around the same price. It is legalised scalping.
I’m not sure how they got theirs but that sounds right. Keep well mate.

This Year?

Immortal
I just had a quick look on ticketek and bronze for $59 in bay 623 has a better view than silver for $199 in bay 608
Robbery IMO.

Gobsmacked

Bench
$1000, no, $400, yes. There are no public tickets available to the other GF, so Melbournians would definitely snap up every available NRL GF ticket. It would be bigger than SOO here, and generate double the revenue of an ACCOR GF, plus whatever the Vic govt will pay to bring it here. Maybe an extra $20m - $25m for the game.
I'm currently in Melbourne and I kinda feel NRL is getting a little side traction if that makes sense? I'm seeing it on plenty of TV'S at pubs and met a few avid fans, see the od bit of merch.
I keep thinking " are we on the cusp of breaking in Melbourne?"
There's more RL fans here than I anticipated and in a city where being different is some kind of social credit, it seems like people aren't afraid to express an interest in RL which is what the AFL are truly concerned about.
I hope the Storm win today and Melbourne get the gf !

Gobsmacked

Bench
I am all for Sydney permanently keeping the Grand Final but.. If a Grand Final or two at the MCG, Suncorp, Optus or Eden Park is what it takes to get Olympic Park rebuilt or all regional & suburban grounds sorted then I wouldn’t be upset.
Suncorp is too small but I would like to see the gf moved around, creates a different buzz around the game and promotes growth in other areas, obviously the cash insensitive also. As it stands we are fortunate enough to have an administration so bold ad to at least look into it.

RedVee

First Grade
I am all for Sydney permanently keeping the Grand Final but.. If a Grand Final or two at the MCG, Suncorp, Optus or Eden Park is what it takes to get Olympic Park rebuilt or all regional & suburban grounds sorted then I wouldn’t be upset.
I just don’t want them to lose capacity in any Olympic Park update.

Latest posts