What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 GF | PREMIERS - Penrith 14-6 Melbourne @ Accor

Grand Final: Melbourne v Penrith

• Melbourne Storm

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Penrith Panthers

Votes: 35 54.7%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JamesRustle

First Grade
Just think about it.

Your club can’t even organise correct spelling on a football jersey.

And you think you’re winning a GF anytime soon?

Lol.
Maybe, maybe not. Probably before you do though.

TIL spelling mistakes are indicative of chance of winning footy games.

Addendum: I reckon spelling mistakes on jerseys happens more than you think.

You still wrist slitting over Niko's long term expensive contract or made your peace with it?

Valheru

Coach
2021 should have been Edwards
2019 probably should have been Maria

2013-2016 they managed to get every single one wrong (Maloney, George Burgess, Morgan & Fifita)
2019 Jared was told he got it then they changed their minds lol. B-Moz was another strong contender.

Disagree on 2013 actually, SBW should have got it.

Spot on with G Burgess, Morgan and Fifita. S Burgess and Lewis at least had very good games though. JT wasn't in the top 10 players in the 2015 game.

Warrimoo3

Juniors
Ok , I’ve had a look at the form lines and here is my assessment (for what it’s worth):

Had a good look at the last meeting between these 2 teams and Penrith were a little unlucky. Cleary was clearly obstructed when the Storm scored early. Warbrick got 1 on 1 with To’o from a kick and Wishart burst through the front door(something that rarely happens).

Daine Laurie played on the wing that day to accomodate the return of Dylan Edwards from injury. Turuva I think was dropped or injured. Daine Laurie is OK at fullback or in the halves but is definitely not a winger. And I think Penrith have lost more games than won with him playing on the wing (the Raiders match comes to mind)

Having said all that , there are key changes for both teams for the grand final so you can largely disregard that match. Except for one thing: Nick Meaney was poor defensively in that match and is a glaring weakness in the Storm defensive set-up. He is a fullback being molded into a centre , a position they have struggled to nail ever since Justin Olam was ironed out by Haumole Olakaatu and who never regained form or confidence thereafter .

Meaney is not quite Reuben Garrick levels of derp defensively at centre but isn’t far behind. In the grand final they line up this way:

For the Storm :Hughes/Meaney/Warbrick on the right and Munster/Howarth/Coates on the left.

For the Panthers : Luai/Alamoti/Turuva on the left and Cleary/Tago/To’o on the right.

The Panthers will be running at Meaney’s left shoulder all night , drawing him in and hoping Warbrick will follow leaving Turuva with space. Pencil in Turuva for at least a couple of meat pies , maybe even a hatrick. Luai and Edwards are the likely architects of this so pencil them in for the Clive Churchill medal. Luai is in career best form and Edwards is nearing peak fitness. Liam Martin was in beast mode against the Sharks so he could be a good outsider for the Clive Churchill medal. Pencil him in as well for a try off a short Cleary or Luai kick as well as Yeo.

The only advantage the Storm have in this match is their athletic wingers jumping for cross field kicks launched by Munster and Hughes . Both kickers are radar like with their precision and Warbrick , with his Aussie rules background, has saved the Storm’ s bacon before in this way (with a last gasp try against the Roosters from a Munster kick). They match up well against the much shorter Turuva and To’o .

Bellamy has done an exceptional job with this Storm team. They looked pretty pedestrian for the first half of the year but gradually, layer by layer, their attack has evolved. Having said that , the Panthers’ final 20 minutes of any match is their strongest.They come home like the proverbial freight train. The only possible way for the Storm to win is to get something like 58 per cent possession, get out to a big lead and somehow hold on.But I don’t see that happening. The pink Panthers to run away with the game in the last 15 minutes and win by 13 plus . Shouty Dan could put his house on it.

I hope someone had Martin for MOM and ATT with Martin and Turuva.

Valheru

Coach
I feel sorry for every Storm supporter that spent hard earned on flights, hotels etc to be shafted by a bullshit bunker call.
You are now official rugby league supporters.
This has to be the final nail in the coffin for the bunker in its current form? Another dreadful decision.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Penrith were my second team until their players started acting like deadshits a few seasons back + can’t stand Ivan. Grew up in the Druitt, got free tix to games through juniors etc.

Know a lot of fans, but god damn can’t stand seeing the smug merkins so happily smug these days. Will be great to see their sad little faces when they fade back down into bottom 9 obscurity next season.

Latest posts