What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Grand final Panthers vs Storm

Should I make an early prediction?

• Total voters

martielang

Bench
Ivan’s call to not contest defensive bombs and smother them as soon as they landed was massive and an absolutely brilliant one. Outside of Howarth getting held up, completely nullified what looked to be there only game plan.

Some of the player ratings I’ve seen are insane. Munster getting a 9, and Edwards a 6.5. What.

We may have put a score on Parra but last night was as dominant as that game I thought. Complete control for 60 mins.

Munky

Coach
Have to say Ivan nailed it with the Sorro inclusion. He played fantasitic anyway, but having him allowed Garner to move wide when To'o went off was so good. Having a middle wider could have been dicey, not sure Storm had the juice at that stage to exploit it, but Ivan took it out of their hands.

Katoa was f**king on last night.

Horrible by the playmakers not to get him involved especially with the makeshift edge.

Alamoti went full Critta last night. I'm not sure any other player in the team gets the ball down for the try and he ended the game with his catch.

Sime_11

Juniors
Have to say Ivan nailed it with the Sorro inclusion. He played fantasitic anyway, but having him allowed Garner to move wide when To'o went off was so good. Having a middle wider could have been dicey, not sure Storm had the juice at that stage to exploit it, but Ivan took it out of their hands.
cant help but feel that Ivan was purposely saving Sorro for the GF - he knew we could make the GF without Sorro but making Sorro the point of difference on our edges - f**king masterstroke

and another f**king masterstroke was defusing those contested bombs and just wrapping the player up when they caught the bomb - brilliant coaching tactics

Munky

Coach
cant help but feel that Ivan was purposely saving Sorro for the GF - he knew we could make the GF without Sorro but making Sorro the point of difference on our edges - f**king masterstroke

and another f**king masterstroke was defusing those contested bombs and just wrapping the player up when they caught the bomb - brilliant coaching tactics

The bomb tactic was brilliant.

The team had to sell out and make sure they wrap the ball up otherwise they get an easy try.

Munster and Hughes have poor kicking games and we knew it. Neither can deliberately put up a floater and nor can they land the ball where they want consistently. They put one high kick on the goal line and almost scored, they just can't do it every time.

soc123_au

Staff member
Katoa was f**king on last night.

Horrible by the playmakers not to get him involved especially with the makeshift edge.

Alamoti went full Critta last night. I'm not sure any other player in the team gets the ball down for the try and he ended the game with his catch.
Katoa is scary good. We did a great job on him last night.

I've been wrapped with Alamoti all year really the way he has improved. We got a bit of an appetiser in the Sharks game, but I seriously didn't see last night coming form him against a team of that quality. I said to my Dad last night with 5 to go either Marto, Alamoti or Yeo have one hand on the clive.

doyen

Bench
mate, Grant Atkins is the son of a premiership winning player at our club and we get absolutely arse reamed every time he refs us...

Bill Harragon was a self confessed bunnies tragic when he was younger, how did that work for you?
The NRL really put themselves in a bad posse when they appoint a ref like ATKINS in the Bunker when the Panthers are playing a GF---I do believe,however, that he would be a fair & honest ref but he did learn his trade refereeing in the Panthers system--in fact,he was given a life m/ship by the Penrith Refs Association--he was tied up in their league from 15 yrs of age--a supporter of Penrith as a kid!!!!??????????? I don't know---but surely the NRL should notice that fans could see this as a conflict of interest--& when a close decision like the Storm disallowed try puts Atkins in a pretty dicey situation !!! Surely the NRL could stick an "obvious " NEUTRAL ref into the bunker !!!

WestyLife

First Grade
Yeo is such a champion.

Penrith Panthers skipper Isaah Yeo has been praised over a classy unseen act following his side’s grand final victory on Sunday night.

The 29-year-old soaked up the historic four-peat with his teammates as the final siren sounded at Accor Stadium.

But shortly after the 14-6 win, he walked away from the celebrations and showed why he’s a true champion of the game.

As all other Panthers players and staff members revelled in their historic achievement, Yeo splintered away from the group and was seen picking up Melbourne Storm players off the turf and consoling them.

The moment was barely sighted on the coverage but the classy act didn’t go completely unnoticed with the skipper asked about it during the post-game press conference.

“What did you say to those guys and what was going through your mind at that moment? Because you’ve obviously been on the other end of it,” one journo asked.

“Yeah probably that, I’ve been on the other end and it’s a low feeling,” Yeo responded.

“They’ve had an unreal season, they finished minor premiers by three wins so certainly a season to be proud of.

“But I feel like I’ve done that most of the time, obviously excited with my group but then also feel for them a little bit too.

“Just said how good of a season they’ve had and yeah try to do that most years to be fair.”

Yeo declared the feat would never be repeated in the salary cap era and said the win all came down to the Panthers defence

“It’s such a special group, we might not be the prettiest team, the way we played throughout the season, but I just feel like our game holds up so much at the back end because of all the little things,” Yeo said.

“We back our defence, all week the media spoke about their spine … but internally we had a real belief in our defence and I think we’ve shown that over the last five years. Sometimes that can get forgotten.”

The victory cements the Panthers their place in rugby league immortality.

It’s their fourth premiership in a row, becoming the first side since the St George Dragons (1956-1966) and the South Sydney Rabbitohs (1925-1929) to achieve that feat.

Four in a row puts this Panthers outfit into the conversation as the best team in rugby league history.

Channel 9 caller Mat Thompson declared: “Rugby league may never see it again. The Penrith Panthers are the Premiers! This is history. A rich piece of rugby league history.”

Host James Bracey said: “It is official, the Penrith Panthers have achieved immortality with a fourth straight premiership title.”

Defeating Melbourne, the most consistent team of the century, is a fitting way to cement their status as undoubtedly the greatest team of the NRL era.

Caged Panther

First Grade
What a bloody magic night last night was.

Can't tell you how beyond privileged I feel to be able to witness this unbelievable run and call myself a Penrith supporter. It certainly has made some very dark & low days' worth it.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Side note: Did anyone try and order merch of the Panthers shop just after full time? They were applying a 70% discount to all the 2024 premiership merch.

I went there intending to pay full price and am still quite happy to do so. It will be interesting to see how they handle it could cost them quite a bit of money if they honour it.

Frankus

Juniors
Just unbelievable feeling. I have tried to explain to my 8 year old son that this is not normal that this may never be done again. He doesn’t know anything but success for this tremendous club. Whilst the run needs to end at some point, I have high confidence that we never go back to being the whipping boys / our cellar dweller days. I’m having a few cold ones just soaking it all up and watching a replay on fox.

We should petition the NRL to rename the grand final to the “Panthers Invitational”

Das Hassler

Bench
Awesome win Penrithers! I diubt the melbourne no try would've created too much of a ruckus if it was awarded but even if it was they would've been too gassed to go on with it if it was close to the end. I think that was your best of the 4! Congrats ...once again ;)

age.s

First Grade
“We back our defence, all week the media spoke about their spine … but internally we had a real belief in our defence and I think we’ve shown that over the last five years. Sometimes that can get forgotten.”
Got chills reading that.

No reason we can't keep going if that vibe continues.

WestyLife

First Grade
Side note: Did anyone try and order merch of the Panthers shop just after full time? They were applying a 70% discount to all the 2024 premiership merch.

I went there intending to pay full price and am still quite happy to do so. It will be interesting to see how they handle it could cost them quite a bit of money if they honour it.

Yeah we got a men's and a women's pink commemorative jersey and two mugs for cheap as.

Pomoz

Bench
How good are our fitness staff? He hasn't played for weeks and he played in one of the most intense games in a grand final and looked fit! They are a massive reason we are where we are. To outlast the Storm, the poster child for fitness and being relentless is just a huge achievement.

The Pie Face regime is no more. Ronny Palmer is no more. Our fitness staff are the best in the business.

Latest posts