What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Ladder predictions

Vic Mackey

Referee
And yet they've beaten 3 of those four - none of the games with their first choice spine.

You know what, I can live with that. Winning enough games to finish top four most years is pretty good as a supporter, even if you dip out in the finals. Storm supporters have had a pretty good ride overall.

But all up I think they are slightly better than you think. Not premiership material but they'll go ok.

Bellamy gets his team ready earlier in the season better then any coach in history. If the season only went from March-May they'd have probably won 15 of the last 20 titles.

More interested in how things go in an end of season game with it all on the line. Last 3 years hasnt been great and I havent seen anything this year to say 24 will go any differently. This aint some anti storm bias, Id take a Storm premiership over those other 4 clubs happily.

Woody90

Juniors
Bellamy gets his team ready earlier in the season better then any coach in history. If the season only went from March-May they'd have probably won 15 of the last 20 titles.

More interested in how things go in an end of season game with it all on the line. Last 3 years hasnt been great and I havent seen anything this year to say 24 will go any differently. This aint some anti storm bias, Id take a Storm premiership over those other 4 clubs happily.

They finished 3rd and got to a prelim last year (albeit that side of the finals draw was very weak). They definitely weren’t as good as the Panthers or Broncos last year but they still did very well.

IMO they don’t have the side to beat a full strength Penrith who we saw on the weekend can go to another level…they’d be good odds to beat Sharks, Roosters or Broncos (depending on their form when Reynolds returns) come the end of the year though.

Valheru

Coach
And yet they've beaten 3 of those four - none of the games with their first choice spine.

You know what, I can live with that. Winning enough games to finish top four most years is pretty good as a supporter, even if you dip out in the finals. Storm supporters have had a pretty good ride overall.

But all up I think they are slightly better than you think. Not premiership material but they'll go ok.
They had their first choice spine against us

Vic Mackey

Referee
They finished 3rd and got to a prelim last year (albeit that side of the finals draw was very weak). They definitely weren’t as good as the Panthers or Broncos last year but they still did very well.

IMO they don’t have the side to beat a full strength Penrith who we saw on the weekend can go to another level…they’d be good odds to beat Sharks, Roosters or Broncos (depending on their form when Reynolds returns) come the end of the year though.

dunno, they got belted by Brisbane, beat a roosters side missing about 7 players in the last 90 seconds, then got belted by Penrith

year before they got done at home by the raiders who then lost to parra by 40

TBH with the team his had for the whole tenure they do shit the bed alot in September. 15 Top 4 finishes for 3 Premierships (2 stripped for cheating).

His yet to win one without Smith in the side.

Apey

Staff member
TBH with the team his had for the whole tenure they do shit the bed alot in September. 15 Top 4 finishes for 3 Premierships (2 stripped for cheating).

His yet to win one without Smith in the side.
Wouldn't say they shit the bed, more that they're consistently one of the best sides every year, but not the best.

yobbo84

Coach
Though they'd never admit it I reckon the Roosters are acutely aware this year will be their best shot at a premiership before dipping for a few years, so I'm expecting them to give it a good tilt

The MP is a consistency award. Premiership is an excellence one. They're not the same thing.

I definitely remember them shitting the bed a couple times, pretty sure a 7th place Knights and 7th place Warriors knocked them out a couple of the years, the year the Warriors knocked them out they had a 19-5 regular season, Knights had a losing record I'm pretty sure.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I definitely remember them shitting the bed a couple times, pretty sure a 7th place Knights and 7th place Warriors knocked them out a couple of the years, the year the Warriors knocked them out they had a 19-5 regular season, Knights had a losing record I'm pretty sure.
Warriors beat them in Melbourne in 1 vs 8 in 2008, Melbourne did eventually make the GF but got pumped 40-0 by Manly
We knocked them out in 2011, a game before the grand final, again in Melbourne.

firechild

First Grade
Warriors beat them in Melbourne in 1 vs 8 in 2008, Melbourne did eventually make the GF but got pumped 40-0 by Manly
We knocked them out in 2011, a game before the grand final, again in Melbourne.
giphy.webp

Apey

Staff member
Sure, a couple of times, maybe. Though I don't agree losing to any other team in the finals is shitting the bed. 2008 GF is the only real standout shitting the bed moment to me.

2013, nah. They finished 3rd and got beat by two teams that made the Prelims, one who finished 2nd and one who finished 7th, and the Knights were quite good that year.

Valheru

Coach
Sure, a couple of times, maybe. Though I don't agree losing to any other team in the finals is shitting the bed. 2008 GF is the only real standout shitting the bed moment to me.

2013, nah. They finished 3rd and got beat by two teams that made the Prelims, one who finished 2nd and one who finished 7th, and the Knights were quite good that year.
2011 stands out for me

Losing to a warriors team in the prelim who finished 6th and got belted by 30 in week 1.

It (justifiably) resulted in the removal of the old finals system.

firechild

First Grade

Did they really shit the bed in 2008? No force in earth was going to stop Manly from winning that day. It was 8-0 at half time which is pretty respectable. Manly went up a gear in the second half and the last 20mins was just stepping away from the grind that Melbourne were good at and playing the entertaining footy they were good at.

Apey

Staff member
Did they really shit the bed in 2008? No force in earth was going to stop Manly from winning that day. It was 8-0 at half time which is pretty respectable. Manly went up a gear in the second half and the last 20mins was just stepping away from the grind that Melbourne were good at and playing the entertaining footy they were good at.
I wasn't trying to take anything away from Manly, but given Storm were over the cap (admittedly minus Smith in the GF), were the current Premiers with basically the same team and Minor Premiers, I don't think you can lose a GF 40 - 0 without an element of bed shitting.

Anyway the original point I was challenging was that Storm have regularly shit the bed in the finals. More commonly I think it was other teams having an extra gear in finals they rarely had. They played pretty much as well in the regular season as in the finals which rarely cuts it.

Apey

Staff member
2011 stands out for me

Losing to a warriors team in the prelim who finished 6th and got belted by 30 in week 1.

It (justifiably) resulted in the removal of the old finals system.
I probably cut them some slack that year because 2010 was (justifiably) a bit of a rough one for them, lol. I remember seeing Bellamy super pissy by himself in the dressing room after that loss, you could tell how desperate he was to win it that year after 2010.

Not trying to be a smart arse, but in today’s final system anytime you go out in straight sets from the top 4 both the teams that beat you make the prelims.

Apey

Staff member
Not trying to be a smart arse, but in today’s final system anytime you go out in straight sets from the top 4 both the teams that beat you make the prelims.
lol you're right, I didn't think about it since the system had only had changed the previous year.