What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Match Review & Judiciary charges

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Which is fine and dandy when it's foul play. If you break a bloke's jaw with a swinging arm you should get longer than if it's just a bruise.

But Whitehead's tackle was a total accident and we're going down the path of having to blame someone for every accident, which is stupid.

I'd be perfectly happy if Whitehead got nothing for the tackle, but 2 weeks for trying to kick Angus Crichton, which there is no excuse for.
Your non Souths related posts are quite brilliant

aussie7798

First Grade
The NRL have stated a number of times previously that any resulting injury does play a role in charges by the MRC and the grading.
Thats f**king stupid it's just begging for a side to say its a ruptured ACL then post judiciary say subsequent scans have revealed the injury is not as serious as initially thought.

So should the NRL now adjust suspensions based on updated injury status.

Valheru

Coach
Which is fine and dandy when it's foul play. If you break a bloke's jaw with a swinging arm you should get longer than if it's just a bruise.

But Whitehead's tackle was a total accident and we're going down the path of having to blame someone for every accident, which is stupid.

I'd be perfectly happy if Whitehead got nothing for the tackle, but 2 weeks for trying to kick Angus Crichton, which there is no excuse for.
All hip drops are accidents, they are trying to make a tackle, not land on someone's legs but the fact is it has been outlawed and the onus has been put on the defender to not do it.

yobbo84

Coach
All hip drops are accidents, they are trying to make a tackle, not land on someone's legs but the fact is it has been outlawed and the onus has been put on the defender to not do it.
I don't think it was a hip drop. Landing on someone's leg doesn't make it a hip drop.

It's the NRL going to extremes with everything, like they have done for ages.

- One player (Soward) kicks the ball dead from long kicks for one season, to try and negate some of the greatest fullbacks of the past 25 years (Slater, Inglis, Minichiello)? Let's make it a 7 tackle set if you drop the ball when trying to score a try.

- Players have their legs taken out from them in the air when attempting a catch, causing them to fall in a dangerous position? Let's penalise a bloke for tackling an upright player 0.25 seconds before his feet touch the ground.

- Players are deliberately giving away penalties to slow the ruck down? Let's make it set restarts instead, even if they're doing it deliberately on their own line, and deny teams a chance to take the 2 points.

- There are some occasions where the ref has given a try but a replay after shows he knocked it on? Let's award tries even if the ref isn't sure, and we'll take it back off them if a replay later shows an indiscretion. Screw the fans and their celebrations.

- There's a new dangerous technique, where an attacker has multiple defenders on him, and one of them grabs him around the hip/waist, and drops all his weight on the back of his legs to bring him down? Let's call any tackle where a player lands on their legs a hip drop.

It's madness.

skeepe

Immortal
Yes it was

Elliot is free to appeal and try to prove your case but I doubt that will happen.
He’ll appeal. What does he have to lose?

It also wasn’t a hip drop. It’s a ridiculous charge cooked up by a thoroughly idiotic MRC

hrundi99

First Grade
Admittedly Ive only seen it once, but it didnt look like a hip drop to me, he sort of got flung around by the momentum of the tackle and landed awkwardly on Smith. Very similar to Holmes on Papalli which broke his ankle. Of course Holmes wasnt charged, as that was only on a Tiger. Very different when its on a high profile player/team though.
That's exactly what happened. It was just an awkward movement.

soc123_au

Staff member
I bet if it was JWH who'd performed a hip drop tackle, resulting in an major injury, the same people defending Whitehead would be calling for the league equivalent of the death penalty for JWH. The hypocrisy from some people is rank.
Unless there is a player running around without a torso JWH is in no danger of ever getting near anyones hips, let alone dropping lower.

Latest posts