What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 R10 Fri - Penrith 16-10 Canterbury @ BlueBet

Round 10: Penrith v Canterbury

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrBlack

Juniors
Love all the Penrith V Penrith comments...
This is the opposite of the late 80's early 90's when Penrith were the Mini Bulldogs.

Phil Gould
Chris Mortimer
Paul Dunn
Peter Kelly
Peter Tunks
The first one is actually a Penrith Junior.....

soc123_au

Staff member
Love all the Penrith V Penrith comments...
This is the opposite of the late 80's early 90's when Penrith were the Mini Bulldogs.

Phil Gould
Chris Mortimer
Paul Dunn
Peter Kelly
Peter Tunks
Apart from Mortimer they were all imports anyway. Gus being originally from Penrith. Got anything else?

ouwet

Bench
Apart from Mortimer they were all imports anyway. Gus being originally from Penrith. Got anything else?

If that's the case Kikau was an import too.
Salmon Cronulla junior.

Yesterday on NRL360 they had a team of Penrith locals who have left and half of them are not locals! Api developed by Penrith? hahahaha

In a few years they'll want to get compensated for Fifita! Penrith really need to sit the F down and relax! You had a purple patch and you want to be compensated for having the largest junior base in Sydney? For a club who brings along 3 people and a dog to away games outside of Penrith you lot need to be brought back to reality!

soc123_au

Staff member
If that's the case Kikau was an import too.
Salmon Cronulla junior.

Yesterday on NRL360 they had a team of Penrith locals who have left and half of them are not locals! Api developed by Penrith? hahahaha

In a few years they'll want to get compensated for Fifita! Penrith really need to sit the F down and relax! You had a purple patch and you want to be compensated for having the largest junior base in Sydney? For a club who brings along 3 people and a dog to away games outside of Penrith you lot need to be brought back to reality!
I commented about that in another thread. The list on 360 and how much it was talked up was way over the top.

In saying that the players you claimed all made their name at other clubs before stepping foot into Belmore apart from Mortimer, Gould captained Penrith, went to Newtown & Souffs before becoming a Dog. .

Kikau was a Nth Qld Junior but debuted at Penrith. Salmon, SoS, Capewell were all fringe before coming to us. Api as well really. He didn't get a shot at Souffs until Luke got suspended and that was after we signed him. Letting him go to Manly in favour of Seggy was a dumb move and one of Gus's missteps, fortunately it was corrected later.

The size of the Junior base means shit, other clubs cherry pick it to an extent (Sualli, Schuster, Katoa among others) and we also get kids from well outside the geographical area. According to Benny on 360 last night the Tigers catchment is actually bigger (Havent verified it, but that what he said)

Roosters and Storms geographical catchment would both fit on the same postage stamp, but both do an amazing job of identifying unknown kids from other areas and developing them into first graders. Roosters also supplement that with signing big names, but that is a different conversation. I hate the Storm as much as any sane person, but I still believe they were hard done by with the cap thing. Sure they broke the rules and it is what it is, but the stupid system is what allowed it. They developed all those players, other clubs all had just as good a shot it them if not better, but Storm put in the work and got punished for it.

You say we need to sit down and relax. Maybe we should make bred not bought T Shirts like some numpty club did in the 2000's cant for the life of me recall who it was, maybe you can help me? They lost 3 or 4 players iirc.

In closing you should all be really sucking our dicks and saying thank you. If it wasn't for the clubs that put in the resources to find and develop players the rest of the shit clubs would have nothing to pay overs for. In the case of your club they at least are now putting the systems in place to get back to developing instead of raping the hardworking clubs.

**By "our" I dont just mean us, Roosters, Storm, Knights, Raiders, Cows, Warriors & Broncos (eeww) deserve a bit of love too.

soc123_au

Staff member
I take it back... Fifita has class and teeth!
Chirpy little f**ker for a bloke whos club would still be last on the ladder if it wasn't for the Penrith boys, Penrith Coach & Penrith head of football.

ouwet

Bench
Chirpy little f**ker for a bloke whos club would still be last on the ladder if it wasn't for the Penrith boys, Penrith Coach & Penrith head of football.

🥱
Where is Townsville? It's in Penrith.
Where's the Shire? It's in Penrith.
Where's Berala? It's in Penrith.

Penrith's everywhere!😂

McNulty

Juniors
I commented about that in another thread. The list on 360 and how much it was talked up was way over the top.

In saying that the players you claimed all made their name at other clubs before stepping foot into Belmore apart from Mortimer, Gould captained Penrith, went to Newtown & Souffs before becoming a Dog. .

Kikau was a Nth Qld Junior but debuted at Penrith. Salmon, SoS, Capewell were all fringe before coming to us. Api as well really. He didn't get a shot at Souffs until Luke got suspended and that was after we signed him. Letting him go to Manly in favour of Seggy was a dumb move and one of Gus's missteps, fortunately it was corrected later.

The size of the Junior base means shit, other clubs cherry pick it to an extent (Sualli, Schuster, Katoa among others) and we also get kids from well outside the geographical area. According to Benny on 360 last night the Tigers catchment is actually bigger (Havent verified it, but that what he said)

Roosters and Storms geographical catchment would both fit on the same postage stamp, but both do an amazing job of identifying unknown kids from other areas and developing them into first graders. Roosters also supplement that with signing big names, but that is a different conversation. I hate the Storm as much as any sane person, but I still believe they were hard done by with the cap thing. Sure they broke the rules and it is what it is, but the stupid system is what allowed it. They developed all those players, other clubs all had just as good a shot it them if not better, but Storm put in the work and got punished for it.

You say we need to sit down and relax. Maybe we should make bred not bought T Shirts like some numpty club did in the 2000's cant for the life of me recall who it was, maybe you can help me? They lost 3 or 4 players iirc.

In closing you should all be really sucking our dicks and saying thank you. If it wasn't for the clubs that put in the resources to find and develop players the rest of the shit clubs would have nothing to pay overs for. In the case of your club they at least are now putting the systems in place to get back to developing instead of raping the hardworking clubs.

**By "our" I dont just mean us, Roosters, Storm, Knights, Raiders, Cows, Warriors & Broncos (eeww) deserve a bit of love too.
Speaking of Cherry picking from districts... Daniel Tupou, Haumole Olakau'atu, api koroisau, Ryan Matterson, jordan mailata to name a few are from Bulldogs heartland

McNulty

Juniors
Off the top of my head adding the players we lost during those Bred not Bought days , depending on the year

Jonathan Thurston
Braith Anasta
Mark O'Meley
Nate Myles
Nick Kouparitsas
Daniel Conn
Paul Rauhihi
Travis Norton
Nigel Vagana
Roy Asotasi

soc123_au

Staff member
Speaking of Cherry picking from districts... Daniel Tupou, Haumole Olakau'atu, api koroisau, Ryan Matterson, jordan mailata to name a few are from Bulldogs heartland
Wouldn't that be more a fail on the Dogs than a slight on those that got them out of there? If you had developed a heap of local players yourselves in that time it would be a case of you cant keep em all, that's not the case though. It's all down to neglect. As I said though, that is being fixed now which is a good thing for your club and the wider NRL.

McNulty

Juniors
Wouldn't that be more a fail on the Dogs than a slight on those that got them out of there? If you had developed a heap of local players yourselves in that time it would be a case of you cant keep em all, that's not the case though. It's all down to neglect. As I said though, that is being fixed now which is a good thing for your club and the wider NRL.
Absolutely spot on! Des and his team decimated our junior program, and all those talented kids went elsewhere. As you said, this is now being rectified.

Out of interest I jumped into a couple of our junior team websites and found some interesting names I didn't mention that are playing First grade currently. Obviously we have Paul Alamoti as the obvious one, Aidan Sezer too, but then you also have Sunia Turuva at Penrith, Tevita & junior Tatola at Souths, Gordon Chan Kum Tong at Manly and Ronald Volkman at The Warriors, Katoa and Hunt at the Sharks.

Hopefully now we're able identify those players and see them through into First Grade.

soc123_au

Staff member
Off the top of my head adding the players we lost during those Bred not Bought days , depending on the year

Jonathan Thurston
Braith Anasta
Mark O'Meley
Nate Myles
Nick Kouparitsas
Daniel Conn
Paul Rauhihi
Travis Norton
Nigel Vagana
Roy Asotasi
Jonathan Thurston - wanted to stay, but you guys told him to leave
Braith Anasta - Souffs
Mark O'Meley - Bears Beagles
Nate Myles
Nick Kouparitsas - lol
Daniel Conn - 3 Games for the Dogs, must have really hurt that one
Paul Rauhihi - Knights
Travis Norton - Crushers
Nigel Vagana - Warriors
Roy Asotasi

So the guys you bought were bred, but then bought when they got bought by someone else? I'm confused.

soc123_au

Staff member
Absolutely spot on! Des and his team decimated our junior program, and all those talented kids went elsewhere. As you said, this is now being rectified.

Out of interest I jumped into a couple of our junior team websites and found some interesting names I didn't mention that are playing First grade currently. Obviously we have Paul Alamoti as the obvious one, Aidan Sezer too, but then you also have Sunia Turuva at Penrith, Tevita & junior Tatola at Souths, Gordon Chan Kum Tong at Manly and Ronald Volkman at The Warriors, Katoa and Hunt at the Sharks.

Hopefully now we're able identify those players and see them through into First Grade.
If a similar strategy is implemented as what we have I think it will be great for your club. Looking what is happening now that seems to be the case. Doesn't matter where they were born, grew up etc, it's identifying and putting the time in from mid teens thats important. I just wish every club stuck at it instead of taking the chequebook route.

Fangs

Coach
Good effort let's keep it going.

Will Connor Tracey feature tonight? I like him.