What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Charity Shield - Vs Dragons

callmack1

Staff member
Well, we've got our trial for the trials out of the way and now it's time to focus on the real start to the Footy Season. The official, unofficial start to the year as we take on our old rivals the Dragons in the annual Charity Shield. This is always the first game we look forward to as it might just be a trial at the end of the day, but it's still extremely important. I still see it as more than just a trial. I say it's more than a trial match because in this one, the result matters. There's a piece of silverware on the line and this game means a lot to both clubs so the stakes are a lot higher. We want to set out to win that shield again in 2024. We had a really good run of it, winning nine straight before the Dragons got one back in 2022. Thankfully, last year we got it back and will be looking to retain it again. This will be the 41st Charity Shield and it has become quite the event between us and our old mates in the Red V.

I guess we don't fully know what to expect and what kind of game it's going to be until the teams drop but I think both clubs will go as full strength as they possibly can. We certainly should be as this will be the only hit out the boys get before they head off to Las Vegas. We'll be missing a few though, no Trell, Cody, Jackie, Shaq or Stretch obviously but I expect everyone else to play. Missing those guys is going to make it pretty tough and I really do think this could be one of the most hotly contested Charity Shields we've seen in a long time.

Hard to know what to make of the Dragons this year to be honest. It's especially hard to know what to make of them at this time of year in the trial period. Many are predicting them to crash and burn, but I personally don't think they will. If they can get it together, they're a pretty dangerous outfit. We need to be ready for that on Saturday.

Looking forward to a good hit out and although we'll be missing a few of our stars, this will give us a closer indication of where we're at.

Ughhhh I can't wait!!

Glory, Glory.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I would’ve gone but am flying out early the next morning to QLD so need to get ready for that. I’ll be watching though for sure whilst getting ready at home.

No Trell, Wighton, J. Gagai so I’ll be keen who plays FB will it be Burns or potentially CJ Mundine? I prefer us to leave AJ on the wing I think.

Forward pack should be strong but backline very weakened as we know.

Anyway I always see the Charity Shield as like the start to the season should be good even though we are understrength.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Potential line up….. something tells me I. Thompson probs won’t play either…..

CJ Mundine
AJ
Burns
Kennar
Milne
Hawkins
Ilias
Tatola
Cook
Keppie
Arrow
Keaon
Murray

Havili
Tom
Duncan
Moale
D. Teaupa
Mamozelos
Host
Chee Kam
Fletcher
J. Gray
Te Hau

I think something similar to this is very likely. That backline yikes but what can we do without Trell, Wighton, Campbell, Tass, J. Gagai, Munro, Mellars and Cody.

Hellray

Juniors
Potential line up….. something tells me I. Thompson probs won’t play either…..

CJ Mundine
AJ
Burns
Kennar
Milne
Hawkins
Ilias
Tatola
Cook
Keppie
Arrow
Keaon
Murray

Havili
Tom
Duncan
Moale
D. Teaupa
Mamozelos
Host
Chee Kam
Fletcher
J. Gray
Te Hau

I think something similar to this is very likely. That backline yikes but what can we do without Trell, Wighton, Campbell, Tass, J. Gagai, Munro, Mellars and Cody.
What’s wrong with Mellars?

callmack1

Staff member

Our first real hit out for the year and the team has dropped!!! Let's goooo!!!

So, as expected, it's basically as full strength as we could possibly name given the guys we are missing. You can now see why we pulled Gags and Tassy out of the All Stars and I'm glad they'll get to play for us in this one. Interesting right edge as Kennar is now the preferred back up center over Taane obviously. While not being a huge Kennar fan, we haven't seen him at center so I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes.

I knew as soon as Cody was out that this is what JD would do with the halves and have Hawko at 6, but should we be worried?? Hawko at five-eighth simply didn't work last year. Does this indicate that JD hasn't learned anything? Or do they have a different plan? Or can we expect better from Hawko this time? Will be very interesting. We really need Lachy to take charge this time.

Very strong pack, as full strength as we could be apart from Cooky who must have some kind of niggle which is disappointing. Apart from that, we're good to go! Keppie in the starting side is the strongest indication yet that that starting spot is his to lose but I like that. The bench, given all those players can play, is basically as you'd expect and I'm excited to see all those guys get game time. No Havili though so something must be going on there too.

Jeez I'm really excited now after seeing the side!! Was a bit worried we'd go fully under-strength again because of Vegas but I do think it's important we have a proper hit out. Good side! Can't wait!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well that’s the best side we could really hope for. Was not expecting Cook or Havili to be out but maybe they’re just carrying niggling injuries.

So we have no Trell, Wighton, Campbell, Munro, Thompson, Cody, Cook, Havili, Shaq and Lovett so 10 of our top 30 are out.

Looking at the Dragons side they’re full strength apart from Sele, Allan and RFM. Will be a tough ask for us. First game for St George under Shane Flanagan at Kogarah they’ll be right up for it.

Had a look at the betting Dragons $1.60, Souths $2.35.

Still as many have said there is much to look forward to from a number of our boys getting opportunities.

I would say Hawko and Ilias is the preferred combo if Cody is out round 1 but surely we change our game plan as Hawko is not a 6.

Steenson123

Juniors
Demetriou should play Hawkins at #7 only! Has the man failed to learn from the past?
Both he and Gagai deserve a shot at starting BUT Hawkins is purely a kicking passing #7. He is NOT a runner!!
I believe Penrith were after Hawkins for depth. They too see something in him BUT only at half back!!
Arrow needs to start the season fit. He is an experienced quality forward. He was continually banged up most of last season and it told on the unit. Murray should NOT be playing in this type of garbage game. He needs as much rest as possible. He appears to be wearing down.

callmack1

Staff member

Okay, I know it's just one photo, but I do find it very interesting that in one of those pics, we appear to be doing a play to the right and we have Hawko playing first receiver with Lachy out the back. This is something we didn't really see when they played together last year but we were all crying out for it because Hawko is a great first receiver and they can combine pretty well that way.

I'm excited by that, hopefully they work much better together on Saturday.

Training pics also confirm Tass to play right center in this game with Kennar outside him. So, it'd be Taane playing left center.

Thumper

Juniors

Okay, I know it's just one photo, but I do find it very interesting that in one of those pics, we appear to be doing a play to the right and we have Hawko playing first receiver with Lachy out the back. This is something we didn't really see when they played together last year but we were all crying out for it because Hawko is a great first receiver and they can combine pretty well that way.

I'm excited by that, hopefully they work much better together on Saturday.

Training pics also confirm Tass to play right center in this game with Kennar outside him. So, it'd be Taane playing left center.

I think it’s strange they have swapped keaon and Jai. Jai runs with the ball in his left hand. Playing on the right he will be exposed to inside defenders targeting the ball and his right hand fend out of action.
same for keaon. His ability to offload in the tackle will be taken away as he is a right hand carrying player so ball will be wrapped up straight away from inside defenders.

Thadius

Juniors
Good nothing game to play Hawkins and Burns tomorrow night. But once the fair dinkum stuff starts, the pair of them should not be seen anywhere near first grade, as both are dreadful.

Thumper

Juniors
Good nothing game to play Hawkins and Burns tomorrow night. But once the fair dinkum stuff starts, the pair of them should not be seen anywhere near first grade, as both are dreadful.
Have never been able to tell what burns could have done as he’s always bloody injured.
hawkins never looked like a first grader.
I agree he’s not up to it.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well here we are my fellow diehard Rabbitohs faithful Game Day is just about upon us. That’s right the footy is back with the usual Annual Charity shield against traditional rivals the Dragons. It’s always such a competitive game and to me I’ve always seen this game as that the footy is back and it’s nice to retain that Charity Shield and see our boys out into actual game time some of that hard work they’ve been doing over the off season at training its good to see some of that come to the fore. What’s nice is it is back in Sydney too which will be great at Kogarah!

For us it’s been a long off season a lot of soul searching a lot of time to reflect on that hurt and how deep that feeling cut. The boys have been back ripping in at training ove heard the intensity is higher than it has been compared to this time last year. It’s a time to blow out some of the cobwebs as well and get some match fitness into those legs.

Looking at the Dragons they have had a lot of time for soul searching too and they would’ve been hurting. They have a new coach now and I expect them to come out strong tomrrow night at home at Kogarah. But I’m not too worried on what they do I’m more focussed on us.

Yes we are under strength missing 10 of our top 30 and it’s a weaker backline but with that brings great opportunity. I’m looking forward to watching Jacob get his oppotunity at FB tomorrow. Also looking forward to watching if we have learnt from the fact that Hawkins and Ilias combo of we’ve learnt those tactics didn’t work when they played together last year and that Hawko needs to play first receiver and sort of manage the game whilst Ilias focusses on running the ball and taking the line on I think that’ll work better also with Lachy doing the short kicking and Hawko doing the long kicking. I’m looking forward to Mamozelos getting a full game at hooker too and pushing for a bench spot. Keppie his first game in the Mighty Red and Green he’s had a big off season. Keaon on the left too will be good to blow out some of those cobwebs. Also looking forward to getting a look at young Jye Gray at this level and looking at Teaupa again will get some game time as well as looking at young Te Hau. So plenty to play for, for us to play some positive footy. It will be hard with who we have out but I’m looking for the boys to put in for one another and we will see what happens.

SO TOMORROW AT 8.03PM ALL RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS ITS TIME TO GET ON YOUR FEET MAKE PLENTY OF NOISE FOR YOUR BOYS HERE THEY COME YOUR SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS!!!!

LETS GO RABBITOHS!!!

SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP

BBBBOOOOOOOOOO WHERE IS OUR SIX AGAIN BELINDA!!!!

GET EM ONSIDE BELINDA THEY ARE ALL IN FRONT OF YOU

SECOND EFFORT LEG PULL BBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOO

WHAT ABOUT REFFING FOR BOTH TEAMS

callmack1

Staff member
Well, rise and shine South Sydney fans, this is the day we have all been waiting for! Charity Shield game day! That's right, Footy is back babyyy and we have our official unofficial start to the Season today! This is the 41st time we're taking our our old rivals the Dragons in a Charity Shield so there's so much history behind this clash. There's been some real classics over the years, and I have some great memories from this fixture. Remarkably, the ledger sits pretty even as we are just one win in front of St George Illawarra all time. That's crazy!! Will we go two ahead tonight? I hope so.

The Charity Shield is always a great way to start the year and it's always the first game I really look forward to. That's certainly the case tonight, I couldn't be more excited!!! We have waited five months for this and its finally time for our first proper hit out. It's time to really begin the journey and put all the hard work of soul-searching, righting the wrongs of 2023, and hopefully fixing things into practice and I'm very pumped to see how we come out and perform.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the more difficult Charity Shield fixtures we've faced. The Dragons are looking better positioned than they have in the past. They've always had a solid roster, just haven't been able to deliver. But with a freshen up, a new coach and a lot of changes, I'm sure we're going to face much stiffer competition tonight. They'll come out with a lot of fire in the belly, wanting to start the Flanagan era off right and wanting to make a real statement so we have to match that. Last year was a walk over with our full side on, but that won't be the case this year, I'm sure. Last time we met, they dominated our pack and that's where the game was won really, so the forward battle will be immense and a key area in this game. Both teams have pretty much their full complement of forwards, at least to start the game, so we have to get on top there. I think they unfortunately have it over us with overall quality of backs and halves on paper for the middle battle really needs to be won or we could find ourselves in some trouble.

For us, of course we want to get the result. It's the Charity Shield and of course we want to retain that. But it is also just a trial game so it's time to blow out some cobwebs, get some match fitness up, have a run and just get some good, solid fitness into us. That's what trial games are all about. We are under strength, for sure, but that brings great opportunity for some guys to step up. I'm particularly excited to see how guys like Gagai and Hawkins go and whether they're going to stand up. I'm very interested to see how Tassy handles the shift to right center and if Kennar is a suitable replacement for the first two Rounds on the left. Can't wait to see if Lachy has added to his game and got better and I'm looking forward to the pack dynamics. How Keppie goes starting, do Jai and Keaon look good swapping edges etc. Then of course, I'm so keen to see how some of our younger prospects like Gray and Fletcher perform. There's so much to look forward to in this one! We just need to hold the ball, defend like we're actually capable of, and hopefully we'll be okay.

Very keen!! Very excited! Very pumped! man, I just love this time of year. Footy is back baby! Go out and retain that shield lads!

Glory, Glory.