What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Round 5 - Vs Warriors

Rabbits20

Immortal
You cant honestly be blaming our forward pack for being tired in 28 degree heat when we're trying to go for a hail mary left side shift every set and either knocking the ball on or throwing it out on the full. Besides our backline is where the majority of our salary cap is.
I do blame the pack a lot they had no line speed, the Warriors forwards charged onto the ball with steam ours had no energy nothing and poor in first contact.

Milne shouldn’t have to have 26 hit ups and Thompson 20 hit ups. the body language of the pack was poor most of the game. Not fighting to play the ball quick nothing very lethargic. When Milne took some hard runs and tried to get up quickly lo and behold we got some penalties and six agains. Milne was our best today.

Latrell head is elsewhere it’s not acceptable his heart isn’t in it.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Most teams get good go forward from their own end from their back 5. We don't. Our forwards have to slog it out for too much of the time and get outgassed and outplayed as a result. This happens every week now since mid-last year when opposition coaches figured out that they can set a game plan to gas us as we aren't disciplined in the basics of the game since Wayne has departed and can't rely on a good kick or chase to get back on even terms in the arm wrestle. Our chase is even worse than our bog-average kicking game. Our heads drop early now when that "here we go again" feeling hits - today it was after the Tatola drop and a simple try off it when we were still fresh. The rot has well and truly set.

JD in a snippet from the presser said something along the lines of "the good sides don't do that" - can't remember exactly what "that" was but he basically hinted that we're not a good side.

Murray sitting next to him listening to his squirming looked very unimpressed.
Backline metres not an issue today Milne 234 metres, Thompson 161 metres, Wighton 150 metres. Out stupidity let us down 16 errors you can’t do it. We are not fit the side isn’t fit at all far from it. Our pack got steamrolled.

As for as I’m concerned JD, Croll the High performance guy, Schafer and Solly they can all go. Of course the coach will be sacked but there are other issues too which if we ignore things won’t change regardless of who coaches us. The rot is well and truly setting in the culture is far off where it needs to be yes a fair bit comes on JD but it needs to on others as well.

blue bags

First Grade
Something happened midway last year
Leading the competition to missing the Top 8
5 wins from last 17 games I think
Someone must know what happened
Can help to explain what happened last year
Looks like missing Top 8 again
At the moment Rabbitohs are 17th
Last on the table

Last edited:

Nafedogg

Juniors
Not going to watch the replay, turned of the radio before half time. I’ve been a big defender of Latrell, but no more, where’s the big year you told us all about? I feel sorry for the few, especially Cam who bust their ass week in week out only for other players to dish up that garbage.

I don’t care when we lose and there is effort involved, but it’s these types of games I can’t stomach. Hopefully Latrell gets a few weeks.

Who’s JD dropping next? Clearly it wasn’t Lachies fault we are trash.

speedster

Juniors
Well said rabbits20
Disagree. Numbers don't change the truth. The quality of the runs from our back 5 are reserve grade and anyone who knows footy can see this. They get their numbers up because we are being kicked to death from losing the arm wrestle and they get lots of hard yakka carries but they don't get us back on the front foot too often like the better teams. They do their best but they are well behind the best.

Thumper

Juniors
Disagree. Numbers don't change the truth. The quality of the runs from our back 5 are reserve grade and anyone who knows footy can see this. They get their numbers up because we are being kicked to death from losing the arm wrestle and they get lots of hard yakka carries but they don't get us back on the front foot too often like the better teams. They do their best but they are well behind the best.
How many kick did Thompson catch inside his own 10m line in the corner. 15 I reckon. Johnson did what he wanted because the forwards did f**k all. No pressure in defence. No one ran hard in attack.

callmack1

Staff member
Sigh....... I thought I'd leave it a bit to calm down before I posted, but I haven't calmed down at all and it's now hours after the game. I simply cannot believe what I saw out there today.

We started really well and were actually solid for 30 minutes or so, but after that was just diabolical. Possibly the worst effort I've seen from a Souths side in a long time. There was just nothing. No urgency, no aggression, no pride, no passion, no hunger, no want, no care. Error after error, stupid thing after stupid thing. It was diabolical and honestly, most of the boys out there today should hang their heads in shame. They were a disgrace to the jersey.

That's all I can say right now, I don't have many words but I'm so off this team right now, it's depressing. What a terrible afternoon. I can't believe I came all the way to Sydney to watch my team for the first time and first they get pumped by 46 to the Roosters, and now 30 to the Warriors. It's a sad state of affairs.

Gutted and angry. I don't know what else to say.

callmack1

Staff member

Rabbits20

Immortal
Sigh....... I thought I'd leave it a bit to calm down before I posted, but I haven't calmed down at all and it's now hours after the game. I simply cannot believe what I saw out there today.

We started really well and were actually solid for 30 minutes or so, but after that was just diabolical. Possibly the worst effort I've seen from a Souths side in a long time. There was just nothing. No urgency, no aggression, no pride, no passion, no hunger, no want, no care. Error after error, stupid thing after stupid thing. It was diabolical and honestly, most of the boys out there today should hang their heads in shame. They were a disgrace to the jersey.

That's all I can say right now, I don't have many words but I'm so off this team right now, it's depressing. What a terrible afternoon. I can't believe I came all the way to Sydney to watch my team for the first time and first they get pumped by 46 to the Roosters, and now 30 to the Warriors. It's a sad state of affairs.

Gutted and angry. I don't know what else to say.
I enjoyed our time together mate was great after all these years to finally meet ya I really enjoyed last week together in the Burrow at the Dogs game then dinner tonight after the game. I hope you have had some good times in your trip too well I know you have so try focus on that as well.

But like you I’m very down about it, it does hurt a lot and what we saw today was completely unacceptable and nowhere near first grade standard.

Safe travels home mate and I’m sure I’ll see you again soon. It’s gonna be a bad year for our Bunnies but we will get through it mate on this rollercoaster. Any wins we do get this year we really need to saviour them.

speedster

Juniors
How many kick did Thompson catch inside his own 10m line in the corner. 15 I reckon. Johnson did what he wanted because the forwards did f**k all. No pressure in defence. No one ran hard in attack.
Everything is connected. It isn't chicken or egg. It's not rocket science. I'm not saying it's all the back 5's fault but I don't think it's all the forwards' fault either. Backs, forwards, kicking game = all shyte and make each other more ineffective as the rot sets in.

truthslayer

Juniors
After observing the first five games of the year, it's disheartening to acknowledge that we seem to have learned very little, echoing the sentiments of fellow sideline critics. My initial patience with Latrell Mitchell's adaptation to the fullback role has waned, as his performance increasingly fails to measure up to the standards set by other fullbacks in the competition. Cody Walker's recent form has been lackluster, suggesting a potential need for a reset in the NSW Cup. A glaring issue presents itself in the halfback position, a challenge that management and the coaching staff have yet to address effectively. Neither Ilias nor Hawkins appear to be the solution we need.
Turning my attention back to the coaching staff, it's tough not to feel for them, but the reality is hard to ignore. Whether it's a mismatch in coaching strategies or a disconnect in rapport with the team, the lack of commitment and enthusiasm displayed in the latest game is concerning and seems to be a continuation of last season's mediocre performances, especially in critical positions like fullback and the halves.
Line speed has been a longstanding issue, one that was supposed to be addressed in the off-season. Yet, when compared to teams like Penrith, known for their relentless fitness and agility, we are noticeably lacking. This deficiency in fitness contributes to errors and gameplay weaknesses.
So, what's the path forward to reclaim our status as a winning team? While Jack Wighton and Cam Murray consistently give their all, the solution isn't simple. Murray, in particular, has been exceptional, yet the decision-making regarding his game time has been questionable, with the team conceding crucial points during his absences. The Warriors exposed our forward pack's vulnerability, further highlighted by sidelining Moale—who had an outstanding game in the NSW Cup—due to strategic decisions.
The issues extend beyond the playing field to management and coaching strategies, particularly in recruitment and player retention. A significant overhaul is necessary to reinvigorate the team's spirit and performance. Today's game was a low point, emphasizing the urgent need for change to restore belief and momentum among the players and fans alike

Something happened midway last year
Leading the competition to missing the Top 8
5 wins from last 17 games I think
Someone must know what happened
Can help to explain what happened last year
Looks like missing Top 8 again
At the moment Rabbitohs are 17th
Last on the table

Yes Blue Bags we are coming last and our coach Dudmetriou said I am the man to pull us out of all of this. those have faith/rose coloured glasses are fooling Mr silly solly and his cohorts at board room level its time to take those glasses off, and come back to earth.earth to souths earth to souths are you there souths?

After observing the first five games of the year, it's disheartening to acknowledge that we seem to have learned very little, echoing the sentiments of fellow sideline critics. My initial patience with Latrell Mitchell's adaptation to the fullback role has waned, as his performance increasingly fails to measure up to the standards set by other fullbacks in the competition. Cody Walker's recent form has been lackluster, suggesting a potential need for a reset in the NSW Cup. A glaring issue presents itself in the halfback position, a challenge that management and the coaching staff have yet to address effectively. Neither Ilias nor Hawkins appear to be the solution we need.
Turning my attention back to the coaching staff, it's tough not to feel for them, but the reality is hard to ignore. Whether it's a mismatch in coaching strategies or a disconnect in rapport with the team, the lack of commitment and enthusiasm displayed in the latest game is concerning and seems to be a continuation of last season's mediocre performances, especially in critical positions like fullback and the halves.
Line speed has been a longstanding issue, one that was supposed to be addressed in the off-season. Yet, when compared to teams like Penrith, known for their relentless fitness and agility, we are noticeably lacking. This deficiency in fitness contributes to errors and gameplay weaknesses.
So, what's the path forward to reclaim our status as a winning team? While Jack Wighton and Cam Murray consistently give their all, the solution isn't simple. Murray, in particular, has been exceptional, yet the decision-making regarding his game time has been questionable, with the team conceding crucial points during his absences. The Warriors exposed our forward pack's vulnerability, further highlighted by sidelining Moale—who had an outstanding game in the NSW Cup—due to strategic decisions.
The issues extend beyond the playing field to management and coaching strategies, particularly in recruitment and player retention. A significant overhaul is necessary to reinvigorate the team's spirit and performance. Today's game was a low point, emphasizing the urgent need for change to restore belief and momentum among the players and fans alike

Another great logical post once more well done you slayed it.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
100% the forwards are to blame.

Youve never played rugby league and its obvious. You cant expect a forward pack to hold up in that heat with the amount of errors we were making. Wade Egan did a brilliant job picking out the tired defenders.

We made 16 errors yesterday and 11 of them were made by our 'talented' backline. Our forwards were copping repeat set after repeat set on our line and we finally got the ball back and you know what Latrell Mitchell did? He elbowed someone in the face... not even a fend... it was an elbow. Its shit like that thats killing our team in these games.

The bright side in all of this is that Latrell is gone for 3 weeks and we get to see Jye Gray debut.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I do blame the pack a lot they had no line speed, the Warriors forwards charged onto the ball with steam ours had no energy nothing and poor in first contact.

Milne shouldn’t have to have 26 hit ups and Thompson 20 hit ups. the body language of the pack was poor most of the game. Not fighting to play the ball quick nothing very lethargic. When Milne took some hard runs and tried to get up quickly lo and behold we got some penalties and six agains. Milne was our best today.

Latrell head is elsewhere it’s not acceptable his heart isn’t in it.

I encourage you to rewatch the first half of the game. The whole game went to shit late in the first half because our forwards were tired from having to make so many tackles. I also encourage you to watch Cody Walker in defence. Cody has become a worst defender than Matt Moylan.

This team will be better off when theres a coach who wont cop shit and will drop players like Cody and Latrell because right now theyre not playing as well as they can and theyre absorbing a massive chunk of our salary cap.

The funny thing is and i didnt want to believe it initially but Sam Burgess was right. Theres certain players that arent held up to the same standards as everyone else.

In all honesty what does Sam have to gain from saying that? Theres no way Sam wants to openly shit on the club for no apparent reason. He broke his jaw for this club on the field and kept playing.

Its also obvious that we dont want to play that grinding brand of footy that teams (except Brisbane) play. We dont want to complete our sets and go for repeat sets on the line. We want to kick the ball on the 2nd when weve made a line break because we are so DESPERATE to score.