What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 State of Origin Series (Mens Edition)

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The most committed side in the world won’t win many games with today’s defensive structures if all they do is ruck it out all game.

I can play this game as well ;)
Not very well.

Our attacking strength is offloads and second phase play. We regularly lose because our defence is a pile of shit not because our attack isn't good enough.

Could our attack be better? Sure, but its not the main issue.

yy_cheng

Coach
What do you mean the Penrith set up ?
I don’t reckon NSW played like Penrith … i think that’s one of the things they finally got right after trying to replicate the Penrith game plan for the last few series ….
Yup

Yeo ran it straight and hard not much ball playing, luai got alot of the ball whereas with cleary he was v much 2nd class, no really drag them back defense

Way more ball movement

Meanwhile, in PNG...

Local paper The National issued this warning against Origin-provoked violence from Eastern Highlands police commander Michael Welly. “If you fight and die, neither the Maroons nor Blues players nor their coaches will contribute to your funeral, nor will they attend your funeral. They don’t even know your problems.”

😂

Second story down:

Happy MEel

First Grade
Not very well.

Our attacking strength is offloads and second phase play. We regularly lose because our defence is a pile of shit not because our attack isn't good enough.

Could our attack be better? Sure, but its not the main issue.
Neither can you. That’s a fair sign that your attack is gash when you’re relying on unstructured off-the-cuff second phase play. How’s that strength working out for us by the way? We have the most offloads in the comp by a fair margin (202 vs the next most with 171), with the third worst attack. Secondly, with our defence being a pile of shit as you say, probably not a great idea to have an attacking focus that is more likely to lead to errors. Thirdly, what coaching staff decides offloads and second phase play should be our attacking strength with a halves pairing of Moses and Drown? Moses has proven he can thrive setting up and executing a quality attack. It’s on the coaching staff to actually f**king coach the rest of the muppets what lines and decoys to run (which isn’t rocket science). It’s either laziness or incompetence on their part that this part of our game as been average at best for so long.

There also has to be an intention to attack across a whole set, rather than a single shift on the 4th and a kick on the last. It’s just far too easy to defend.

Once plan A (offloads) go out the window and we feel its one of those nights we can’t score points, our confidence seems to drop and then I reckon that’s where our lack of defensive commitment creeps in.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Looks like we are back to the age old LU argument of "it's the coaches fault" vs "highly paid players are not turning up". And "we don't have a game plan" vs "they are not following the game plan".

Think About It GIF by Identity

Happy MEel

First Grade
Looks like we are back to the age old LU argument of "it's the coaches fault" vs "highly paid players are not turning up". And "we don't have a game plan" vs "they are not following the game plan".

Think About It GIF by Identity
Why can’t it be both you goose? I’m not excusing the deadshits on the field for their lack of commitment, I’m just putting forward my opinion on why it happens. I want a clean out of our roster FFS, with Moses, Lomax and possibly Penisini the only must keeps.

Why do you feel the need to chime in all the time and bring it back to the coaching vs players. They’re all accountable and heads need to roll on both fronts. Just because in a particular discussion someone is focusing on coaching, doesn’t mean they think it’s the only issue at the club. Only a simpleton would infer that.

Gronk

Staff member
Why can’t it be both you goose? I’m not excusing the deadshits on the field for their lack of commitment, I’m just putting forward my opinion on why it happens. I want a clean out of our roster FFS, with Moses, Lomax and possibly Penisini the only must keeps.

Why do you feel the need to chime in all the time and bring it back to the coaching vs players. They’re all accountable and heads need to roll on both fronts. Just because in a particular discussion someone is focusing on coaching, doesn’t mean they think it’s the only issue at the club. Only a simpleton would infer that.
We agree then.

I hope you realize that this topic has been raised 100's of times and whenever someone dared to suggest that maybe it was also the players not taking responsibility, the BA haters would be
rofl.gif

Happy MEel

First Grade
We agree then.

I hope you realize that this topic has been raised 100's of times and whenever someone dared to suggest that maybe it was also the players not taking responsibility, the BA haters would be
rofl.gif
I don’t think thats the case at all. Im confident that if anyone ever said that our players are pea hearts and our coaching sucks balls, you would not have one argument from the “BA haters”.

Gronk

Staff member
I don’t think thats the case at all. Im confident that if anyone ever said that our players are pea hearts and our coaching sucks balls, you would not have one argument from the “BA haters”.
Well we will beg to differ then and pretend that the "excuses" and "no matter what the club did no wrong" tags were never applied to this topic.

Anyway, I am please that some people have come around to some balanced conclusions now.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Well we will beg to differ then and pretend that the "excuses" and "no matter what the club did no wrong" tags were never applied to this topic.

Anyway, I am please that some people have come around to some balanced conclusions now.
Equally, I’m pleased that some people have come around to what “the BA haters” as you call them realised a long time ago, that coaching wasn’t THE problem, but it was A problem.

lingard

Coach
Are they really magic tactics? It was just constant attacking plays on both sides of the field, completed at pace, with everyone knowing what they’re meant to be doing.

I was also replying to a poster saying we could replicate a similar set up with our own spine. I tend to agree with both Drown’s and Blaize’s pace.

However, our entire attacking structure consists of crash balls, set up plays, a 4th tackle shift and a kick. That is it. If muppets like me have worked this out over the last decade then opposition defence coaches sure as shit have too.

Don’t believe for a second I’m letting the players off for their complete lack of commitment, it’s appalling. But equally appalling are our gameplans and complete lack of a first grade standard structured attack.
If you were a player, and you were stuck with this boring 'chase the collision' game plan week after week, year after year, wouldn't you eventually find yourself
just going through the motions? I actually
put very little blame on the players overall.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Id wait till Game 3 to start analysing a few things

QLD usually have a one off below par performance in either game 1 or 2 (or game 3 if they have already won the series)

NSW usually look like world beaters in one game of a series

I watch game 3 with interest..

Happy MEel

First Grade
If you were a player, and you were stuck with this boring 'chase the collision' game plan week after week, year after year, wouldn't you eventually find yourself
just going through the motions? I actually
put very little blame on the players overall.
As a professional athlete it shouldn’t happen so I think the players need to take plenty of the responsibility. But I certainly take your first point that it’s probably a major reason (not excuse) for it.

Latest posts