What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 State of Origin Series (Mens Edition)

Pazza

First Grade
What do you mean the Penrith set up ?
I don’t reckon NSW played like Penrith … i think that’s one of the things they finally got right after trying to replicate the Penrith game plan for the last few series ….

i literally explained it in my post.....

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Why can’t it be both you goose? I’m not excusing the deadshits on the field for their lack of commitment, I’m just putting forward my opinion on why it happens. I want a clean out of our roster FFS, with Moses, Lomax and possibly Penisini the only must keeps.

Why do you feel the need to chime in all the time and bring it back to the coaching vs players. They’re all accountable and heads need to roll on both fronts. Just because in a particular discussion someone is focusing on coaching, doesn’t mean they think it’s the only issue at the club. Only a simpleton would infer that.
This post made my nipples hard.

Soto

Bench
The players play to the coaches instructions. As far as we have to applaud BA for getting us to the GF, he is a massive part of the problem now as the game plan never changed and evolved with the 6 again intro.
We have been too slow to adapt and too slow to recruit and retain the necessary players to play to the new up tempo style the NRL is today...it's literally tackle oztag...

lingard

Coach
Not very well.

Our attacking strength is offloads and second phase play. We regularly lose because our defence is a pile of shit not because our attack isn't good enough.

Could our attack be better? Sure, but its not the main issue.
Look, the thing is, if our attack was much better we wouldn't have to defend as much. Kinda like how NSW won on Wednesday night. I don't buy this defence only view.

lingard

Coach
The players play to the coaches instructions. As far as we have to applaud BA for getting us to the GF, he is a massive part of the problem now as the game plan never changed and evolved with the 6 again intro.
We have been too slow to adapt and too slow to recruit and retain the necessary players to play to the new up tempo style the NRL is today...it's literally tackle oztag...
In the whole of BA's tenure, all we really did was keep our heads above water and maintain the status quo. We were treading water while others did freestyle.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Look, the thing is, if our attack was much better we wouldn't have to defend as much. Kinda like how NSW won on Wednesday night. I don't buy this defence only view.
How many times have we defended well in the last few years and lost? When we win that’s the secret.

We are typically paper thin in the middle and give teams enormous metered. When it gets to the edges in our attacking zone we look very disorganised.

The best defensive teams are inevitably the ones that are successful. That’s irrefutable.

Soto

Bench
How many times have we defended well in the last few years and lost? When we win that’s the secret.

We are typically paper thin in the middle and give teams enormous metered. When it gets to the edges in our attacking zone we look very disorganised.

The best defensive teams are inevitably the ones that are successful. That’s irrefutable.
Again symptomatic of the previous coach's structures....

King-Gutho94

Coach

I reckon the 2021 semi final against Penrith is the only game where we defended our arses off and didn't get what we deserved.

And the preliminary final in 2022 against the cowboys was a great effort under enormous fatigue.

That's the main issue that pissed me off with BA and the team. If only we showed that same commitment defensively most weeks we wouldn't have found ourselves in situations like coming 6th in 2021 and 4th in 2022 having to travel to Townsville for a prelim final they had it in them just produced it very rarely not consistently like a Penrith and Melbourne

lingard

Coach
You are responding to a conversation where someone suggested that attack is more important than defence. I proved that defence is more important and then you made a tangential observation about how the coach is responsible for defence.
I never said attack is more (or less) important than derence. I simply said that the better your attack is, the less defence you'll have to do. That's why I don't buy into this idea that weak defence is our main problem. We have played a very simplistic power game in attack that has resulted in their being way too much pressure on our defence. Just my opinion.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I never said attack is more (or less) important than derence. I simply said that the better your attack is, the less defence you'll have to do. That's why I don't buy into this idea that weak defence is our main problem. We have played a very simplistic power game in attack that has resulted in their being way too much pressure on our defence. Just my opinion.
Thats fair. I don't agree though. We are leading the comp in second phase play by some margin, as evidenced by the stats I presented. Thats not a sign of a team that plays a 'simplistic power game'.

Our biggest problem in attack is our lack of polish when we are in the opposition 20. Our biggest problem as a team though is our poor defence.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I reckon the 2021 semi final against Penrith is the only game where we defended our arses off and didn't get what we deserved.

And the preliminary final in 2022 against the cowboys was a great effort under enormous fatigue.

That's the main issue that pissed me off with BA and the team. If only we showed that same commitment defensively most weeks we wouldn't have found ourselves in situations like coming 6th in 2021 and 4th in 2022 having to travel to Townsville for a prelim final they had it in them just produced it very rarely not consistently like a Penrith and Melbourne
I agree. The 2021 semi final against Penrith was an astonishing game and the only one in recent memory where I think we lost despite our defence.

You are responding to a conversation where someone suggested that attack is more important than defence. I proved that defence is more important and then you made a tangential observation about how the coach is responsible for defence.
Lol, have you and Pou read the same book about online debating recently?

Latest posts