What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Team

Woody90

Juniors
Sounds like we’d might as well just chuck in the towel for the next 10 years as we’ll obviously never recover from losing Dom the way every thread goes back to him leaving every couple of pages.

Yes he’ll be a loss, and none of the potential replacements fill me with any excitement, but he’s gone. He made the decision over a year ago. Time to move on. It’s very sad but he’s not bigger than the club.

If we want to become a top team we need to be able to cop losing good players and not letting it derail the team. The top teams deal with losing players like Dom every season and you’d never hear this kind of hysteria over a year after a player signed elsewhere.

Last edited:

Knight Tales

Bench
Don’t recall saying Jenkins will replicate Dom. Just highlighting the fact 1. Penrith have an incredible depth pool which produces more than it fails 2. we did not know how good Dom was going to be until it happened. It is credit to O’Brien and the coaching staff. The kid was found on You Tube. Let us not bullshit like he was the next big thing going.

If we want to become a top team we need to be able to cop losing good players and not letting it derail the team. The top teams deal with losing players like Dom every season and you’d never hear this kind of hysteria over a year after a player signed elsewhere.
The top teams do not lose players like Dom , that's pretty much the point.

Players like Dom Young are the difference between losing or winning a GF

That's why I'm filthy.

The kid was found on You Tube. Let us not bullshit like he was the next big thing going.
he was touted as a talent and the Storm were chasing his signature. The guy is 2 mtrs tall, runs like the wind and scores tries upside down - the end

PhilGould

Bench
There’s a very realistic chance none of the new signings are in the round 1 team so not really surprising that people are talking about what we’ve lost instead.

You could at least convince yourself one of the second-row options can replicate Fitzgibbon's 2023 form, don't think anyone being fair dinkum could do the same with the wing options.

There’s a very realistic chance none of the new signings are in the round 1 team so not really surprising that people are talking about what we’ve lost instead.

You could at least convince yourself one of the second-row options can replicate Fitzgibbon's 2023 form, don't think anyone being fair dinkum could do the same with the wing options.
the KPP lad looks a specimen. A full year in the gym and playing NRL and he could be a beast.

zero of the wing candidates fill me with joy.

it will be interesting to see how AOB changes the playing style to suit.

Woody90

Juniors
The top teams do not lose players like Dom , that's pretty much the point.

Players like Dom Young are the difference between losing or winning a GF

That's why I'm filthy.

This isn’t true. Penrith lose a player of Dom’s calibre every year, they don’t cry about it because they know the strength of the system and club as a whole is good enough to make up for the loss of one player. Melbourne are the same. They’ve constantly had to lose top players but their systems keep them successful.

I don’t know how many times it needs to be said, but wingers don’t determine if you win a comp - unless you’re bashing down the door to win one and a few individual tries will make a difference. And let’s be honest, we’re nowhere near winning a comp if we can’t compensate for the loss of a winger.

I definitely think it comes down to people being hysterical about his loss because none of the other options fill us with excitement. It’s tedious though and won’t change the outcome of him choosing to leave. It’s frankly depressing to have to read every couple of pages that we have no chance of improving because we lost a winger. What kind of shitty club would fall in a heap over losing a winger? Not ours I hope. I could maybe see the hysteria if we were talking Ponga who is the one that makes things happen for the rest, but Dom’s loss, while big, isn’t the end of Knights.

I can’t imagine one Knights fans that wouldn’t be upset we’ve lost him, but the year long of hysteria is getting a bit over the top considering there’s nothing we can do about it.

PhilGould

Bench
I see more comments whinging about people whinging about losing Dom than I see comments whinging about losing Dom, but even still; It's our biggest player movement going into next season, I don't see why people are surprised it gets talked about on a fan forum. You could simply not engage in the conversation if you're over it.

perverse

Referee
If we can't cover for the loss of a winger, regardless of how good and fast he is, then we just don't deserve nice things. Pretty simple. There's plenty of strike in the top 17. He wasn't exactly a defensive dynamo, and shithouse under the high ball for such a giant. Someone else will bring something different out there hopefully. The most important thing is that his replacement carries their weight in the hard yards out of trouble.

This isn’t true. Penrith lose a player of Dom’s calibre every year, they don’t cry about it because they know the strength of the system and club as a whole is good enough to make up for the loss of one player. Melbourne are the same. They’ve constantly had to lose top players but their systems keep them successful.

I don’t know how many times it needs to be said, but wingers don’t determine if you win a comp - unless you’re bashing down the door to win one and a few individual tries will make a difference. And let’s be honest, we’re nowhere near winning a comp if we can’t compensate for the loss of a winger.

I definitely think it comes down to people being hysterical about his loss because none of the other options fill us with excitement. It’s tedious though and won’t change the outcome of him choosing to leave. It’s frankly depressing to have to read every couple of pages that we have no chance of improving because we lost a winger. What kind of shitty club would fall in a heap over losing a winger? Not ours I hope. I could maybe see the hysteria if we were talking Ponga who is the one that makes things happen for the rest, but Dom’s loss, while big, isn’t the end of Knights.

I can’t imagine one Knights fans that wouldn’t be upset we’ve lost him, but the year long of hysteria is getting a bit over the top considering there’s nothing we can do about it.
I'll have to disagree here. They all keep the ones that are important to them. Yes every club loses players, top clubs in particular lose very good players. We dont have that many "stars" - Dom is a much bigger loss to the Knights than what he would be to the Roosters, Storm, Panthers etc,

I also think it is a real hit to the club in terms of culture and recruitment. He was with us, settled in a home, a town, a group of friends, career on the up - yet decided he would be happier and a better player elsewhere.

Woody90

Juniors
We dont have that many "stars" - Dom is a much bigger loss to the Knights than what he would be to the Roosters, Storm, Panthers etc,

This is 100% it. Because we don’t have a lot of stars, people are treating Dom leaving like a catastrophe, where if we were a serious club it wouldn’t be.

This is 100% it. Because we don’t have a lot of stars, people are treating Dom leaving like a catastrophe, where if we were a serious club it wouldn’t be.
This is what I hope the club will change over time. Half the battle is in the Murdoch press, which shapes the perception.

Woody90

Juniors
This is what I hope the club will change over time. Half the battle is in the Murdoch press, which shapes the perception.

Our major issue is being a regional club in a smaller market. Less big companies means less TPAs, and less interest than the Sydney media. Also much much harder to hold onto 22 year old British lads who love the appeal of Bondi.

There’s definitely a lot more Wests can do in this regard, but in the end our location will always impact us. You see the same thing in Canberra who are actually a pretty wealthy club but struggle big time with recruitment, retention and media interest simply due to the fact that nobody cares about Canberra in the same way nobody outside of Newcastle cares about Newcastle.

Rod

Bench
In the last couple of years the Panthers have lost Burton, Kikau, Koroisau, Crichton and quite possibly Luai. From this year's grand final team alone the Broncos are losing Farnworth, Capewell and Flegler.

Considering the smaller town thing, TPAs etc we seem to do pretty well retaining players we want to keep. Traditionally the issue is getting them here in the first place.

Knight Tales

Bench
We have been able to recruit the players we need with much success under AOB. He has also excelled at keeping the ones he wants for the most part. We are doing alright. It won’t be lost on this squad that last year needs to be equalled or bettered. It would change the entire club mentality and also make us an attractive landing place for top players. The lack of consistency year to year has worked against us more than TPAs and cap space. We are notorious for falling in a heap when we are at our most promising.

Yosh

Coach
Dom was definitely a fan favorite but at the end of the day he is only a winger. If we had to lose a star player in any position we'd all want a winger to go rather than a spine player or a star forward. It sux but doubt it'll seriously affect our results.