What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

wain

Juniors
Origin doesnt change this one way or another.
Respectfully, I disagree.
living in Adelaide for the last twenty years, the amount of times I’ve heard the arguments that RL is only two states, and AFL is national.

only problem with that argument is the difference between teams ‘based out of’ a city filled with imports; and teams filled with ’local-raised talent’ that could match the big 3 of Vic, SA and WA.

the apparent Aussie ‘indigenous sport’, where all other states would get demolished!

the ability of the afl to control the narrative and public perception is something I equal parts hate and envy.

Wb1234

Referee
Records broken on FoxSports

number one regular season round of all time

Number one Friday 6 pm regular season game of all time

number one sat 530 regular season game of all time

Sunday 4 pm number one regular season game of all time

Canard

Immortal

And you've got a full nutsack over C9 buying all the TV rights.

colly

Juniors

Adding this to those numbers- means record revenue $$$$ for Fox, as each record is made up by paid subscribers.
So we can safely say the NRL is the biggest revenue maker for Fox/kayo. We should be sure to let them know when we start our next negotiations.

Iamback

Coach
Adding this to those numbers- means record revenue $$$$ for Fox, as each record is made up by paid subscribers.
So we can safely say the NRL is the biggest revenue maker for Fox/kayo. We should be sure to let them know when we start our next negotiations.

Yes and no. Add up their ratings in total for the Sat for example.

4 games to 3. Playing time alone is

AFL 8 hours
NRL 4 hours

NRL isn't rating twice as much.

Per game RL is king but total minutes no

Iamback

Coach
What does total minutes have to do with what he said ? I pay for Foxtel once a month wether I watch 1 game or 20 , he is assuming the amount of people that subscribe for nrl is their biggedt revenue stream

Correct you do.

Sponsors on the other hand, Take the Super Saturday.

Fox can go to Sponsors for the AFL version and say:

We can give you 250k viewers for 8 hours of play.

As opposed to NRL

330k viewers for 8 hours.

What program is getting more $ from the sponsor?

Then you throw in the extra stoppages and that is where NRL needs to find extra content.

Frank Burge

Juniors
Does Fox have ads during play for afl ? I haven’t watched it before also not sure if typo but you said 8 hours for both so I would say the program with the higher viewers and targeted demographics gets more money

Iamback

Coach
Does Fox have ads during play for afl ? I haven’t watched it before also not sure if typo but you said 8 hours for both so I would say the program with the higher viewers and targeted demographics gets more money

I don't think so but they are in qtrs. A game goes for 3.5 hours as opposed to 100 mins or so in NRL when you add in total time

Frank Burge

Juniors
NRL broadcasts are usually 1 hour 50 minutes afl is 2 hour 50 minute except on Sunday nrl is a 3 hour broadcast with the lead in going on last years numbers of 180 million average audience not including nz to afl 130 million average audience the minutes would be almost the same. Wookie was calculating minutes at almost 2 to 1 in favour of afl and I pulled him up on it a few years ago, in reality it was a 30% difference in broadcast time slot

docbrown

Coach
Subscriber numbers are the fundamental factor as to whether or not a streaming service lives or dies.

And if you don't have the big content carrots to attract subscribers, you don't have a service. Sport and branded IP content are big carrots. AFL and NRL are big carrots. And yes if you're talking about the size of the carrot, then by viewer numbers, yes the NRL carrot is larger. But that's not to say that AFL isn't a big carrot too. It's unwise to think that.

As to runtime, in 1995 on FTA the AFL's 3 hour run time made it a powerhouse. But what was it competing against? Burke's Backyard? But now there's a plethora of entertainment options and people's attention spans are getting shorter. Every show is competing against a billion websites and apps. Do you realise how hard it is for adults to commit to 3 hours of viewing, let alone teenagers? You'd better have something with 10,000 superheroes in it and the whole universe is at stake. Half of you are probably reading this on your phone or tablet whilst you ignore the television in the background.

The NRL's shorter game time is actually to its advantage. People are more likely to tune in for 2 hours than 3. And the people who do watch multiple games know a dud game in the NRL might be only 1 hour away from the next better one. But in AFL it might be 2 hours. The NRL can also show multiple games back to back in prime time when most viewers are watching, particularly in the 6-10pm peak times. That's literally Friday night football right now. Where's as it's hard to do that in the AFL.

Iamback

Coach
Subscriber numbers are the fundamental factor as to whether or not a streaming service lives or dies.

And if you don't have the big content carrots to attract subscribers, you don't have a service. Sport and branded IP content are big carrots. AFL and NRL are big carrots. And yes if you're talking about the size of the carrot, then by viewer numbers, yes the NRL carrot is larger. But that's not to say that AFL isn't a big carrot too. It's unwise to think that.

As to runtime, in 1995 on FTA the AFL's 3 hour run time made it a powerhouse. But what was it competing against? Burke's Backyard? But now there's a plethora of entertainment options and people's attention spans are getting shorter. Every show is competing against a billion websites and apps. Do you realise how hard it is for adults to commit to 3 hours of viewing, let alone teenagers? You'd better have something with 10,000 superheroes in it and the whole universe is at stake. Half of you are probably reading this on your phone or tablet whilst you ignore the television in the background.

The NRL's shorter game time is actually to its advantage. People are more likely to tune in for 2 hours than 3. And the people who do watch multiple games know a dud game in the NRL might be only 1 hour away from the next better one. But in AFL it might be 2 hours. The NRL can also show multiple games back to back in prime time when most viewers are watching, particularly in the 6-10pm peak times. That's literally Friday night football right now. Where's as it's hard to do that in the AFL.

I think you are right that people tune out of bludger games.

If someone watches 3/4's of both sports, What will they see more ads in?

beave

Coach
Fox AFL coverage doesn't have ads in between goals....... so this talk of increased tv deals due to the prospect of Fox making more revenue because of ads between goals is a load of shit. I see this standard Victorian response all over socials when the convo is about AFL v RL Tv deals and it's bollocks.