What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

Wb1234

Referee
There are still ads

Pre game garbage and post games no one watches. So ads are cheaper
And as I said ad rates will be less for afl due to lower viewers and lack of exclusivity

game length isn’t a huge reason to explain the tv deals

Iamback

Coach
And as I said ad rates will be less for afl due to lower viewers and lack of exclusivity

game length isn’t a huge reason to explain the tv deals

What is the NRL pre show rate though?

80k?

You have that up against a game that is still going.

that is where length matters.

Tomorrow at 4.30 there is an AFL game. What is going to be rating more at 5pm?

A game is in it's qtr break or the pre show BS on Fox League?

Iamback

Coach
Nope it doesn’t

If you want to go down that party Marty Johns show outrates afl etc

You didn't answer the question

What is going to rate more at 5pm.

NRL pre show?

Or an AFL game that isn't even halfway through?

Wb1234

Referee
You didn't answer the question

What is going to rate more at 5pm.

NRL pre show?

Or an AFL game that isn't even halfway through?
Nrl game 30 to 40 percent higher ratings

60 percent of top ten programs are rugby league

Gap in between games is irrelevant

Iamback

Coach
Nrl game 30 to 40 percent higher ratings

60 percent of top ten programs are rugby league

Gap in between games is irrelevant

Yes but that 40 min period there. NRL channel is rating 1/4 of its usual number.

Same to come 9.40pm tomorrow night the NRL game will be over.
AFL will still be going. So again NRL drops to say 50k. AFL stays at 250k, Includes an qtr time commercial break in there.

That is where the value gets made up

Wb1234

Referee
Yes but that 40 min period there. NRL channel is rating 1/4 of its usual number.

AFL will still be going. So again NRL drops to say 50k. AFL stays at 250k, Includes an qtr time commercial break in there.

Sunday there are hours of rugby league with no afl

so does that mean we should get double the afl deal lol

And yet I see over and over, and even last week, by people involved in their game for the game to be shortened.

Iamback

Coach
And yet I see over and over, and even last week, by people involved in their game for the game to be shortened.

I couldn't watch a game for that long. I like NFL but still struggle to watch it all, The flow on will be they may get more fans watching individual games but the average will go down.

Which will hurt the tv ability to sell advertisements

Wb1234

Referee
I couldn't watch a game for that long. I like NFL but still struggle to watch it all, The flow on will be they may get more fans watching individual games but the average will go down.

Which will hurt the tv ability to sell advertisements
Lmao same argument applies for afl

you shot your self in the foot

Billythekid

First Grade

We go through this same song and dance every time. There is a reason that the AFL consistently get more money despite always rating lower. This is just one of the factors that posters on here refuse to acknowledge.

So yet again we’ll have years of posters saying we will get much more than the AFL only to end up being proven wrong.

The problem is everyone on this forum treats this like a dick measuring contest, if the AFL get more money that means they’re more popular or better somehow. How much TV networks are willing to pay and how popular a sport is are not the same thing.

Wb1234

Referee
We go through this same song and dance every time. There is a reason that the AFL consistently get more money despite always rating lower. This is just one of the factors that posters on here refuse to acknowledge.

So yet again we’ll have years of posters saying we will get much more than the AFL only to end up being proven wrong.

The problem is everyone on this forum treats this like a dick measuring contest, if the AFL get more money that means they’re more popular or better somehow. How much TV networks are willing to pay and how popular a sport is are not the same thing.
Last tv deals were basically identical

I don`t agree with that. The NRL will be to Australia what the NFL is to the U.S. and the length of games will mean diddly squat when valuing broadcast deals.
This accepting that we should accept a lesser broadcast deal is an extension of the same fatalism/inferiority complex that believes we cannot have average crowd figures like them as well.

Billythekid

First Grade
I don`t agree with that. The NRL will be to Australia what the NFL is to the U.S. and the length of games will mean diddly squat when valuing broadcast deals.
This accepting that we should accept a lesser broadcast deal is an extension of the same fatalism/inferiority complex that believes we cannot have average crowd figures like them as well.
I don’t have to accept anything, I’m not the NRL and neither are you. Stating obvious facts isn’t having an inferiority complex. I’ve just been watching this same thing play out for the last 20+ years. Y’all convince yourself that average viewership = TV dollars and bang on about how they time will be totally different and the NRL will finally get a much bigger deal. Every time the AFL end up with more and then the usual suspects spend years trying to distort reality to explain why.

Anyone who follows the data even casually knows the NRL rates better and has done for as long as I’ve followed ratings. That doesn’t mean the NRL will get more money.

Latest posts