What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

Vlad59

Juniors
High Latino population in the US helps that

It is a decent starting point, When you have NFL owners looking to want in it gives you are decent foundation moving forward
It’s a 500% increase on our usual average ratings which might (very might) carry through to increased future ratings.

Vlad59

Juniors
Simple question, do you think 40k viewers is a good result?
Simple answer. The average was over 50000 for the two games, and comparatively it’s a reasonable outcome based on previous ratings. I’ll leave you to find yet another negative.

Iamback

Coach
It’s a 500% increase on our usual average ratings which might (very might) carry through to increased future ratings.

Exactly, It is a good point to start from.

2nd game is going to lose East Coast people, But if that can be offset by West Coast interest ( Like the 49ers owner ) then that could continue to grow.

Year 3 for me is the key year once the novelty wears off

Maximus

Coach
Fox Sports in US averages 303k.

RL a new sport foreign to 99.9% of the population drew 30% of that number

The game started at 11.30pm East Coast time of course the numbers will drop

And what's the average for prime time. Getting 10k at 2am is irrelevant.

Vlad59

Juniors

2nd game is going to lose East Coast people, But if that can be offset by West Coast interest ( Like the 49ers owner ) then that could continue to grow.

Building a market you have to start somewhere. Nobody expected overnight success. Vlandys said this will take 5 years to consolidate and reach some potential. He’s no fool

Vlad59

Juniors

I wouldn’t respond to Max any more on this. He’ll just beat you down with his relentless negativity

colly

Juniors
Wait what? In the Vegas thread, everyone was talking about how much media attention and advertising it was getting.

Also, a 30% drop for the 2nd game is really bad as it suggests it didn't hold people's interest.
T
he second game kicked off at 3.30 pm Sunday Sydney time, which in Las Vegas was 8.30pm. So the east coast kick off for the second game would be 11.30 pm New York. So it only had around a third of the potential population watching.

Iamback

Coach
T
he second game kicked off at 3.30 pm Sunday Sydney time, which in Las Vegas was 8.30pm. So the east coast kick off for the second game would be 11.30 pm New York. So it only had around a third of the potential population watching.

It really is that simple

Perth Red

Post Whore
EPL is the highest overseas that I know and that averages about half a million. Look, I don’t think the figures are that bad. They are definitely not incredible but considering that this is a new sport to them with pretty much no media build up there is something to work with.
There’s 300k ex Aussies in usa, even they didn’t watch it any great number! 61k in prime time for a channel with a reach of over 200 million is shthouse by any measure.

docbrown

Coach
I see the usual numpties have come out to add their 2 cents based on their zero experience working in the media and zero experience with the American television market.

Firstly, if you look at that ratings chart and don't realise how fractured TV viewership is then basically you've got guano for brains (Maximus can help explain his own particular condition to you). Anyone expecting these games to rate in seven figures is a moron. Nuggets and Lakers only rated 3 million. Or in Perth Red's language, "that's only 0.9% of all Americans watching NBA, AFL would have gotten 50% - the NBA must be a failure blah blah blah we need two teams in Hull."

Look at the MLS on the main -- 441k. That's an American sports league. Even the EPL, arguably the biggest foreign sports league with long term penetration for decades rated 416. Those are week in week out viewers who know the schedule and which gets regular advertising. Any AFL trolls here really want to claim that AFL or NRL should outrate long term EPL viewership?

What should have this game rated? Based on the lead in lead in numbers which drive flow on viewership, I would argue 100-150k. About a third of EPL and MLS and similar to the basketball lead in. Sports in the states get bumped to secondaries all the time just because there are more games on at the same time. You get used to it. Perhaps in this case because the NRL was more of an unknown, fewer people were willing to switch and switch back. We'll never really know for sure. I also agree that a 1:30am finish in the East was always going to cause a drop off. But this rating was low and if they can't pull 100-200k next year then I would question the benefits of the effort. But it's more like 60% of what it should have gotten, not the doom and gloom others suggest.

However, if this were Vegas, we'd drive Perth Red and Maximus out to the desert, make them dig their own graves and leave them there.

Vlad59

Juniors
I see the usual numpties have come out to add their 2 cents based on their zero experience working in the media and zero experience with the American television market.

Firstly, if you look at that ratings chart and don't realise how fractured TV viewership is then basically you've got guano for brains (Maximus can help explain his own particular condition to you). Anyone expecting these games to rate in seven figures is a moron. Nuggets and Lakers only rated 3 million. Or in Perth Red's language, "that's only 0.9% of all Americans watching NBA, AFL would have gotten 50% - the NBA must be a failure blah blah blah we need two teams in Hull."

Look at the MLS on the main -- 441k. That's an American sports league. Even the EPL, arguably the biggest foreign sports league with long term penetration for decades rated 416. Those are week in week out viewers who know the schedule and which gets regular advertising. Any AFL trolls here really want to claim that AFL or NRL should outrate long term EPL viewership?

What should have this game rated? Based on the lead in lead in numbers which drive flow on viewership, I would argue 100-150k. About a third of EPL and MLS and similar to the basketball lead in. Sports in the states get bumped to secondaries all the time just because there are more games on at the same time. You get used to it. Perhaps in this case because the NRL was more of an unknown, fewer people were willing to switch and switch back. We'll never really know for sure. I also agree that a 1:30am finish in the East was always going to cause a drop off. But this rating was low and if they can't pull 100-200k next year then I would question the benefits of the effort. But it's more like 60% of what it should have gotten, not the doom and gloom others suggest.

However, if this were Vegas, we'd drive Perth Red and Maximus out to the desert, make them dig their own graves and leave them there.
This is a thing of beauty

Diesel

Referee
As pointed out, the east coast time difference takes considerable chunk of the market away when KO is 11:30pm. I’m struggling to stay awake to 11:30pm for a game finishing at that time. You’ll probably find the NZ viewing numbers drop off for games starting after 8pm AEST

Simple question, do you think 40k viewers is a good result?
What were you expecting?

Most Americans wouldn't have known about it.

The event will probably need 10 or more years to gain traction. The next four years will determine if it's worse pursuing in the long term.

Just be grateful the game is trying to expand its marketshare. Some times these projects work. Some times they don't.