What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

The_Wookie

Bench
Dumb question

does the NRLs average include BVOD?

ratings are pretty good for 2 regional teams. Tonight should be excellent

I believe so

What does VOZ comprise?

VOZ captures ‘Total TV
’, that is: viewing of Metropolitan, Regional and Subscription TV broadcasters’ (linear) TV content (whether viewed live or played back through the TV set up to 28 days of original broadcast) and also internet-delivered BVOD services. Participating BVOD broadcasters: ABC, Seven Network, Nine Network, Network 10, SBS and Foxtel.

Does broadcast TV and BVOD viewing continue to be reported separately?

Through 2024, broadcast TV and BVOD will continue to be reported separately (in OzTAM and Regional TAM TV ratings, and OzTAM’s Video Player Measurement (VPM) service, respectively) allowing a period of transition for the industry.

https://virtualoz.com.au/resources/faqs/

Vlad59

Bench
I believe so

What does VOZ comprise?

VOZ captures ‘Total TV
’, that is: viewing of Metropolitan, Regional and Subscription TV broadcasters’ (linear) TV content (whether viewed live or played back through the TV set up to 28 days of original broadcast) and also internet-delivered BVOD services. Participating BVOD broadcasters: ABC, Seven Network, Nine Network, Network 10, SBS and Foxtel.

Does broadcast TV and BVOD viewing continue to be reported separately?

Through 2024, broadcast TV and BVOD will continue to be reported separately (in OzTAM and Regional TAM TV ratings, and OzTAM’s Video Player Measurement (VPM) service, respectively) allowing a period of transition for the industry.

https://virtualoz.com.au/resources/faqs/
Many thanks.

macca_saint

Juniors
@The_Wookie
Thanks for posting the data.
Is there any reason other than Channel 9’s presentation being shite to explain why the AFL almost always beat us on FTA viewers but we get more on Fox/Kayo?

The_Wookie

Bench

I mean if you ignore the extra half a million the AFL scored in reach audience - and its perfectly ok to do so as far as Im concerned.

The "plenty in question" is 94,000 for a heavily hyped event.

And the AFL will aslo pass a million when all things are considered. The overall difference will be negligble.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Can someone explain how the reach measurement works? Is it a more accurate reading compared to the ratings number?

Iamback

Coach
I mean if you ignore the extra half a million the AFL scored in reach audience - and its perfectly ok to do so as far as Im concerned.

The "plenty in question" is 94,000 for a heavily hyped event.

And the AFL will aslo pass a million when all things are considered. The overall difference will be negligble.

Sunday are generally a worse day for TV too.

The_Wookie

Bench
Can someone explain how the reach measurement works? Is it a more accurate reading compared to the ratings number?

Reach - unique viewers who watch for at least one minute over the duration of a match.
Traditionally the average is determined as total viewers/broadcast length.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I be

I believe it captures any viewer that watched for a minimum 1 minute even if thats is all they watched.

Will benefit the afl because each game goes for 3 hours and there is more chance for someone to flick it on.

Reach - unique viewers who watch for at least one minute over the duration of a match.
Traditionally the average is determined as total viewers/broadcast length.

Thanks I've done some reading up on it. Seems a pointless metric without knowing the effective reach.

shewi6

Juniors
I think it is so fta can spruik higher numbers to advertisers, kind of like how netflix says 'x' show had so many millions of viewing hours instead of telling how many people watched.
Makes it seem more popular.

Iamback

Coach
I think it is so fta can spruik higher numbers to advertisers, kind of like how netflix says 'x' show had so many millions of viewing hours instead of telling how many people watched.
Makes it seem more popular.

Correct. The ratings system is the help extend the life of a dying medium