What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

Vlad59

Bench
He f**ked up the last broadcast deal so monumentally it provided AwFuL with the biggest funding dispairty they've had over us.

How am I supposed to have faith in the bloke who signed the worst broadcast deal in history?

He either did it through incompetence or self-preservation. If it's the latter then he's a charlatan. If it's the former then he's not fit to be at the negotiating table during the next round of broadcast rights.

If he brings in PNG then he's creating an enormous obstacle for the game that will hang around its neck for a couple of decades. You can forget about the broadcasters paying extra for a team from PNG because it will provide no value to them.
Potato crop

Vlad59

Bench
I've been telling everyone that Perth's time zone is not conducive for generating strong ratings because it's up against the 6pm news on Wed-Fri. No one wants to hear it because they're too busy kidding themselves into thinking Perth is the answer to all of the game's problems.
By everyone I assume your referring to your next door neighbours the Kennebecs?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
He f**ked up the last broadcast deal so monumentally it provided AwFuL with the biggest funding dispairty they've had over us.

How am I supposed to have faith in the bloke who signed the worst broadcast deal in history?

He either did it through incompetence or self-preservation. If it's the latter then he's a charlatan. If it's the former then he's not fit to be at the negotiating table during the next round of broadcast rights.

If he brings in PNG then he's creating an enormous obstacle for the game that will hang around its neck for a couple of decades. You can forget about the broadcasters paying extra for a team from PNG because it will provide no value to them.
Everyone makes mistakes, but he's done a lot of good for the game. He also seems to be ramping up to make up for it at the negotiating table this time we'll.

I wish PNG well and if they get in, I hope we can make it work for the PNG people and for the international game, but I just can't see it working long term unfortunately

Wb1234

Referee
Everyone makes mistakes, but he's done a lot of good for the game. He also seems to be ramping up to make up for it at the negotiating table this time we'll.

I wish PNG well and if they get in, I hope we can make it work for the PNG people and for the international game, but I just can't see it working long term unfortunately
PNG will work big time

they will end up bigger than all the regional clubs barring maybe Newcastle if they get their ground upgraded to 40k

V'landys is making a massive mistake with the "Perth Bears" and PNG.

He's setting the Perth NRL team up to fail by saddling them with a dead Sydney brand that no one in Western Australia cares about.

PNG will be a basket case.
PNG will work big time

they will end up bigger than all the regional clubs barring maybe Newcastle if they get their ground upgraded to 40k

There's no way you're being sincere with stupid statements like this. It's as cringeworthy as your faux support for the Warriors. You talk up whatever is the current thing in rugby league, then abandon it when it's no longer the current thing.

Wb1234

Referee

He's setting the Perth NRL team up to fail by saddling them with a dead Sydney brand that no one in Western Australia cares about.

There's no way you're being sincere with stupid statements like this. It's as cringeworthy as your faux support for the Warriors. You talk up whatever is the current thing in rugby league, then abandon it when it's no longer the current thing.
Tv ratings thread

The_Wookie

Bench

Not sure why the NRL has a higher figure than Nine or VOZ put out., but they may have got updated data during the afternoon. VOZ isnt supposed to work like that though

Nine media release on Friday still giving 3.652m, so who knows where the NRL figure came from.

The 2024 State of Origin series has rewritten the record books, setting new benchmarks for viewership across broadcast and streaming, with10.789 million Australians tuning in throughout the thrilling series.

The New South Wales Blues defied the odds to clinch the series in Brisbane for only the third time in the 44-year history of State of Origin, defeating the Queensland Maroons in a contest that captured audiences across the nation.

The three game series, which averaged 3.409 million viewers per match (up 14.9% year-on-year), ranks as the three highest rating programs of the year (based on overnight figures).

State of Origin 2024 also smashed viewing figures on 9Now with the three matches ranking as the three-highest rating programs of all time on Australia’s No. 1 free-to-air BVOD platform. The series recorded an average BVOD audience of 788,000 per match – up an incredible 50.4% year-on-year.

Wednesday night’s match soared to a National Total TV Reach of 5.426 million and a Total TV National Audience of 3.652 million – up 44.7% year-on-year. It also now takes out the title as the No. 1 program of the year, based on overnight ratings. Game 3 is the highest rating match since Game 1 of 2016 and the highest rating Game 3 since 2013*.

On 9Now, the series decider, won by the New South Wales Blues, recorded a BVOD audience of864,000 – up 83.1% year-on-year. It takes the title of the No. 1 program of all time on 9Now and the second highest rating live program of all time (across all broadcasters).

State of Origin Game 1 secured a National Total TV Reach of 5.244 million and a Total TV National Audience of 3.377 million, making it the second highest rating program of the year (on overnight data). On 9Now, Game 1 recorded a BVOD audience of 760,000 – up 41.8% year-on-year. It also ranks as the No. 2 program of all time on 9Now and the third highest rating live program of all time (across all broadcasters).

State of Origin Game 2 achieved the highest ratings for a Game 2 since 2017*. It garnered a National Total TV Reach of 5.129 million and a Total TV National Audience of 3.193 million, making it the third highest rating program of the year-to-date (on overnight data). On 9Now, Game 2 recorded a BVOD audience of 739,000 – up 31.1% year-on-year. It also ranks as the No. 3 program of all time on 9Now and the fourth highest rating live program of all time (across all broadcasters).

Vlad59

Bench

Potato

Steel Saints

Juniors
I've been telling everyone that Perth's time zone is not conducive for generating strong ratings because it's up against the 6pm news on Wed-Fri. No one wants to hear it because they're too busy kidding themselves into thinking Perth is the answer to all of the game's problems.

Perth's timezone works well for a Sunday 6:15pm game. Maybe the PNG side could be scheduled in that timeslot too, so that it could avoid the heat during the day.

NZ 2 would work comfortably well at Friday 6pm and alternate most weeks with the Warriors.

So when the NRL expands, it needs to schedule the right teams in the right timeslots, so that it tries to maximise tv rights.

Wb1234

Referee
Perth's timezone works well for a Sunday 6:15pm game. Maybe the PNG side could be scheduled in that timeslot too, so that it could avoid the heat during the day.

NZ 2 would work comfortably well at Friday 6pm and alternate most weeks with the Warriors.

So when the NRL expands, it needs to schedule the right teams in the right timeslots, so that it tries to maximise tv rights.
Pvl is going to market now with a 20 team nrl

Nz2 will be very valuable in their own right in the nz market whilst png and Perth won’t and will be filler content for eastern states in new timeslots

Sun 12 also works well for nz2

Sunday 6 pm est works

even a 9 pm game live on Friday night for a second game on fta

Latest posts