What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

The_Wookie

Bench
@The_Wookie does 3.4M in "primetime" have as much value as 4M in the afternoon? (To TV companies)?

Theoretically its possible - its why its called prime time after all, but specific to grand finals - according to previously reported advertising rates, no. And the ratings numbers matter after all.

It is estimated that advertisers will spend up to $175,000 (in 2018) for a 30-second five-city metro ad during Saturday’s AFL clash between Collingwood and West Coast.

The going rate is slightly less during the NRL grand final, despite it being played in prime time on Sunday evening, with advertisers reported to be paying up to $130,000 for a 30-second spot.

The Australian reported that Nine Network wa selling 30-second advertising slots in Sunday’s 2016 NRL grand final for about $75,000 each, although the price could jump with demand expected to spike after an ideal set of results over the weekend, while inventory is running low, and could be around the $100,000 mark.

Sensis in September 2016 reported that the cost of a 30-second spot in the NRL and AFL grand finals, could cost advertisers about $130,000 and $175,500 respectively based on the new television rights deals signed between the networks.

In 2015, Mumbrella noted that the AFL on Seven and 7Mate managed to command a higher premium than its rival, with the ratecard price for a 30 second spot in the five metro markets $150,000. While NRL brands had been forking out around $129,000 for the same 30 second five city metro spot on Nine and for the first time simulcast on its HD channel Gem.

AdNews reported that advertisers would expect to pay circa $125,000 to buy a 30 second spot in all metro markets – but some sponsors will pay $150k. These often have to be accompanied by a larger season package and that’s where the networks really tend to make the money.

For the NRL Grand Final, costs are about $129k per 30 second spot and access is largely scale packages only. An NRL Finals package, including metro five cap, all games – quarters, semis, prelims and Grand Final is about $1.1m per year.

In 2014, the Australian reported that the Seven Network was expected to pull in as much as $10 million in advertising revenue from its near-fully subscribed AFL grand final broadcast.. Last-minute 30-second TV spots were estimated to be worth more than $100,000 for what is usually the most-watched television program of the year, though they are generally snapped up by longer-term sponsors at a more favourable rate.

News reported the 2013 Grand Final figures as $135,000 per 30-second spot for the AFL and $100,000 for the NRL. And both behind The Voice.

In 2012, the ABC reported that the cost of advertising in the 2012 Grand finals was
  • AFL: $100,000 nationally or $50,000 in Melbourne
  • NRL: $70,000 to $80,000 nationally

Wb1234

Immortal
Afr would be fully of union or afl people given its literally the afr

Their article was very pro afl but this is pretty common by just about all journos except a few select league journos

The article goes out of its way to fap over the afl deal then why the nrl won’t get a good deal because the ad market has softened

As someone else said the abc is next. They’ve been pro fumbler ever since the arl took away their Saturday arvo game to a sickening level

Their article was very pro afl but this is pretty common by just about all journos except a few select league journos

The article goes out of its way to fap over the afl deal then why the nrl won’t get a good deal because the ad market has softened

As someone else said the abc is next. They’ve been pro fumbler ever since the arl took away their Saturday arvo game to a sickening level
They`ve been running promo`s for some new mini-series about an old Rugby League player with CTE. I`m not gunna say the title because I wouldn`t give the bastards any more oxygen than I have to.
So f**king abc, anything to denigrate the game, bet they`re creaming their pants promoting it on their morning shows, tut, tutting and saying `how true`. They really hate League.

Vlad59

Bench
They`ve been running promo`s for some new mini-series about an old Rugby League player with CTE. I`m not gunna say the title because I wouldn`t give the bastards any more oxygen than I have to.
So f**king abc, anything to denigrate the game, bet they`re creaming their pants promoting it on their morning shows, tut, tutting and saying `how true`. They really hate League.
Saw that. You’ve summed it up well. Luckily it’s on the abc so nobody will watch it.

Saw that. You’ve summed it up well. Luckily it’s on the abc so nobody will watch it.
It`s funny because they`ve been promoting it for weeks and I`ve been ignoring it because who watches abc mini-series, woke rubbish like the slap. It was only when I saw a Rugby League jumper on the ad on the weekend that it dawned on me what it was about. f**king abc..

Vlad59

Bench
It`s funny because they`ve been promoting it for weeks and I`ve been ignoring it because who watches abc mini-series, woke rubbish like the slap. It was only when I saw a Rugby League jumper on the ad on the weekend that it dawned on me what it was about. f**king abc..
I’m not sure your average avid abc mini series watcher gives a feck about our game. The broadcaster truly is busted.

The_Wookie

Bench

Maybe its because the AFL did a good deal, and maybe its because the ad market has softened.

Wb1234

Immortal
Maybe its because the AFL did a good deal, and maybe its because the ad market has softened.

Nah it’s just crap anti league journos

I’m not the only one who read the article and knew the journo was anti league

Indeed Andrew abdo called them out on their bs

You just aren’t used to it since the afl has the media in the back pocket

Wb1234

Immortal
What does a softening ad market have to do with pay tv who provide 80 percent of the broadcast revenue lol

And in between the last tv deal being done and the new one coming in ad revenue hasn’t risen massively ?

Please

Canard

Immortal
Between the decline of FTA, the impending gambling ad ban, News trying to flog off their Foxtel share, and the fractured broadcast market, it's reasonable to have some concerns.

The_Wookie

Bench
What does a softening ad market have to do with pay tv who provide 80 percent of the broadcast revenue lol

Foxtel Media today announced the high-profile brands that have signed on as sponsors for the 2024 AFL season.

Sportsbet, Pointsbet, Maccas, KFC, Red Rooster, Sixt, KIA, Carlton Draught, McCain, Bunnings Warehouse, Coles, Host Plus, Industry Super Funds, Sony, Chemist Warehouse, NAB, Ford, Toyota, AAMI, Telstra, Musashi, Ashley & Martin, Steel Blue, Drummond Golf, NIB and Harvey Norman are all returning for the 2024 season.

Three new sponsors - GMHBA, Tradie Beer and Jim Beam - have also joined the prestigious line up.

Foxtel Media today unveiled a prestigious sponsorship line up of powerhouse brands for the highly anticipated 2024 NRL season.

The top-tier line up of sponsors include Sportsbet, McDonald’s, CBUS, KIA, KFC, TAB, VB, McCain, Ford, Red Rooster, Harvey Norman, Jim Beam, Chemist Warehouse, Toyota Material Handling, Telstra, Musashi, Drummond, Hungry Jacks, Steel Blue Boots, AAMI, Toyota and Ashley and Martin.

And in between the last tv deal being done and the new one coming in ad revenue hasn’t risen massively ?

Please

Actually it hasnt. Original NRL deal started 2018. - its gone down. Extension was signed in 2020 and hasnt moved up at all.

The total TV market, which includes metropolitan free-to-air, regional free-to-air, subscription TV and Broadcaster Video on Demand (BVOD), recorded combined revenues of $4 billion for the year to June 2019, which was down 4.1% compared to the same period to June 2018.

June 2020-2021

The total TV market, which includes metropolitan free-to-air, regional free-to-air, subscription TV and Broadcaster Video on Demand (BVOD) and excludes SBS, recorded combined revenue of $3.85 billion for the year to June 2021, which was up 12 per cent compared to the same period ending June 2020.

The total TV advertising market, which includes metropolitan free-to-air, regional free-to-air and Broadcaster Video on Demand (BVOD) and excludes SBS, recorded combined revenue of $3.4 billion for the year to December 2023, down 10 per cent compared to the same period ending December 2022.

The Total TV advertising market, which includes metropolitan free-to-air, regional free-to-air and Broadcaster Video on Demand (BVOD) and excludes SBS, recorded combined revenue of $3.3 billion for the year to June 2024, down 8.1 per cent compared to the same period ending June 2023.

Wb1234

Immortal
So the ad market hasn’t moved since 2020 but yet despite that it wasn’t an impediment to an apparently good afl deal ? Lol

And again what impact does it have on pay tv which provides 80 percent of the money

Sorry I’m backing Andrew abdo here the journo was a flog

Latest posts