What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Squad List

Draginzaaar

Bench
I hope the Dragons are keeping an eye on Stephano at WT... he is exactly what we need.
He is like a taller, bigger/stronger, more agile version of Frank Molo. Reminds me of a tank.
He is still quite young so I expect he will get even better.

If we can also nab NAS from the Storm then even better for impact.

Other players I would target are Brimson who must be getting fed up with all the positional changes, and either of Staggs or Cobbo.
Wouldn't mind RCG from Parra if he was to get squeezed out.

I have a soft spot for Jai Field so maybe give him a chance as cover for our halves and FB if he wants to come home.
I had high expectations of him to be our next great 5/8 when I first saw him in the lower grades.

This is just a wish list and not based on any inside knowledge or upcoming availability.
We have to upgrade our squad every time there is an opportunity. Other teams are sounding out players still under contract and we have to as well.
Yeah, like any of those blokes would come to the Dragons.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If I was Saints AJ Brimson is the guy I would be going hard for. Seems to be keen to play fullback or in the halves but Des has him in the centres when Campbell is fit and prefers Tanah Boyd in the halves. AJ at fullback or 5/8 next season would be a huge improvement for Saints. If Saints guarantee him the fullback or 5/8 spot I think he will surely be tempted and seek a release ala Zac. AJ - KFlanno - Hunt - Liddle or Sloan - AJ - Hunt - Flanno spine would be pretty good.

The other guy to chase for the spine spot is Tristan Sailor but that won't happen.

Dragon David

First Grade
Huge, huge miss??? Nonsense. We need front rowers.
A slightly better winger is of no use at all if our middle is as soft as pudding.
You are right that we need better middles. They are the foundation and footings to help build the team. Weak foundations will collapse any structure that we might have and then there will be the need to rebuild again. Get the big, hard courageous men up front to allow the backs to finish things off. What is so hard about that strategy? Do we have anyone running the club with any brains?

If I was Saints AJ Brimson is the guy I would be going hard for. Seems to be keen to play fullback or in the halves but Des has him in the centres when Campbell is fit and prefers Tanah Boyd in the halves. AJ at fullback or 5/8 next season would be a huge improvement for Saints. If Saints guarantee him the fullback or 5/8 spot I think he will surely be tempted and seek a release ala Zac. AJ - KFlanno - Hunt - Liddle or Sloan - AJ - Hunt - Flanno spine would be pretty good.

The other guy to chase for the spine spot is Tristan Sailor but that won't happen.
Definitely could have traded Hunt for Brimson last year.

TheRev

First Grade
Who exactly is the (2025) replacement option for fullback if Sloan is injured or out of form?

I get its human nature to discount things we miss out on... but I suspect we will end up with someone far worse (and slower) than the guy who held the penrith fullback jersey right up till 1st grade, has a premiership ring & a few internationals to boot.

Bin Chicken

Juniors
Who exactly is the (2025) replacement option for fullback if Sloan is injured or out of form?

I get its human nature to discount things we miss out on... but I suspect we will end up with someone far worse (and slower) than the guy who held the penrith fullback jersey right up till 1st grade, has a premiership ring & a few internationals to boot.
Definitely could have traded Hunt for Brimson last year.
No bud , AJ was and is not interested in moving

rasaint

Juniors
Must admit it’s getting a bit depressing. Jayden Sua is a top level backrower and still unsigned, despite having big$$$ in kitty. Just don’t get it? Getting a bad vibe there.

Otherwise, signing bargain basement ( Leliua OK but 7 out of 10 at best) players and getting flogged every second week.

I think Allan will play some fullback in 2025.
Flanagan will use him as utility wherever he is needed, be it fullback, centre or wing.
Sloan is having another up and down season this year, so the more back up the Dragons have the better.

Parko1310

Juniors

David Armstrong looks a decent player, still off contract and may have to leave so he's not stuck behind Ponga. Would be pretty good competition for Sloan with a genuine chance he gets beaten to the position

TheRev

First Grade
David Armstrong looks a decent player, still off contract and may have to leave so he's not stuck behind Ponga. Would be pretty good competition for Sloan with a genuine chance he gets beaten to the position
I believe Fletcher Sharpe (injured) is the next in line behind Ponga, Armstrong 3rd.

I noticed when we played the Bears in Round 1, Jake Toby tore us an absolute new one..... he is the #3 behind Faalago.. that other bloke tearing it up internationally... that sits behind Meaney and Papa...

This is what I mean when I look at Matt Feagai as our depth behind Sloane.. its madness.. there are so many talented kids out there.. the only reason we probably havent chased them is we wont get them to leave their clubs... unless there is a Top 30 spot and realistic chance of getting the #1 jersey.. and currently we are still on this Sloane train for a 3rd year.

In terms of our own juniors... BRumble and TPH have great potential, but BRumble has barely put a few games together in JF (assume injured) and TPH has got to be 2-4yrs away if they even intend to develop him...

Parko1310

Juniors
I believe Fletcher Sharpe (injured) is the next in line behind Ponga, Armstrong 3rd.

I noticed when we played the Bears in Round 1, Jake Toby tore us an absolute new one..... he is the #3 behind Faalago.. that other bloke tearing it up internationally... that sits behind Meaney and Papa...

This is what I mean when I look at Matt Feagai as our depth behind Sloane.. its madness.. there are so many talented kids out there.. the only reason we probably havent chased them is we wont get them to leave their clubs... unless there is a Top 30 spot and realistic chance of getting the #1 jersey.. and currently we are still on this Sloane train for a 3rd year.

In terms of our own juniors... BRumble and TPH have great potential, but BRumble has barely put a few games together in JF (assume injured) and TPH has got to be 2-4yrs away if they even intend to develop him...
It might be time to get a bit ruthless and make some tough calls. Our club have sat on their hands for years and haven't actually made any of these sorts of tough calls. Fans always call for ruthlessness but I feel don't understand what that means. For example, dropping Blake Lawrie I'm sure will inevitably happen: but this is not ruthless, it's logical. What is ruthless is for example going: yes Sloan is extremely talented, but he's getting a lot of the fundamentals so wrong repeatedly, so we are going to bring in Armstrong to genuinely compete. If Sloan isn't good enough to win the jersey, it tells you something. Ruthless is saying Ben Rumble is very talented (a player who I like by the looks of him), but Connor Votano from Newcastle SG has all the talent in the world, and maybe we should take a look at him, because he looks like he will be better than Rumble. Being ruthless is looking at some of your good players and saying yes they've been good, but we can do better and upgrade here. We should be looking to get the best and be the best, not sit there and be happy to maybe one day compete. You've got to make it happen.

TheRev

First Grade
Fans always call for ruthlessness but I feel don't understand what that means. For example, dropping Blake Lawrie I'm sure will inevitably happen: but this is not ruthless, it's logical. What is ruthless is for example going: yes Sloan is extremely talented, but he's getting a lot of the fundamentals so wrong repeatedly
It's 100% this.. Fans get their rusted on favourites.. a lot of it is because of the media hype where they obsess over the highlight reel... it gets said enough times and it becomes 'fact'.

I think we have the coach now who is not afraid to cut and move on.. but he is hamstrung by the lack of quality in our NSW Cup side... Feagais are the perfect example of the problem.. can win us games in that grade but its a complete waste of those valuable development positions, they arent pushing the 1st grade squad.

So if hes going to chase quality at other clubs, he might need to do more than just drop.. he may need to not renew contracts, Sloane would be the ideal candidate, its his 3rd year of struggling.. and he's off contract...

p.s. I think Benny Rumble could be anything, ive never seen the sort of try and try assists he consistently pulls off.. I would easily play him in NSW Cup now... but hes young and slight and i think he had tonsil surgery early in the year and now hes injured again... but hes 1-2yrs away from 1st grade..

Brimson is the most underrated player in the entire nrl.

steerlerbab

Juniors
Once we went after AFB and Deardon, it is obvious what we want. One marquee front rover and one marquee half.
For halves, I think Ilias is the half that we should go after he is given permission to negotiate. If that does not happen I think we can go after Tyson Gamble.
Fir front row nobody of note is available at the moment so we have to wait,

TheRev

First Grade
I think we will have to get creative with the Prop.. AFB was too good to be true, and we have other clubs circling. We might have to go for a young but nsw/qld cup experienced 21-25yr old prop instead.. or we go to England perhaps.. but whoever it is.. they have to be clearly better than lawrie, mmolo, fifita.

Young halves are a bit different.. again we wont get a Dearden quality.. but there are a lot of guys who have been outcast but still have potential.. Ilias the biggest name in the group.

Would be keeping in regular contact with Jai Fields manager also.. even though I know he has a 4yr contract.

Latest posts