What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Squad List

TheRev

First Grade
Angus to 13 would be ideal, but that was only happening when he was out of form.. hes going far too well now and one of the big clubs will pick him up. Of course happy to throw our hat in the ring anyway.

Note: I think Flanno is looking for an upgrade on Eisunhuth, but the way we are going, not sure we will find it.

TheRev

First Grade
we already have enough blokes in reserves who have never played 1st grade at lock without overpaying on someone from outside to do that.
I've been giving a lot of thought to Toby or Ryan as our lock ongoing, not sure which.. and not sure if 2025 Round 1 is the start.....Maybe we use both of them (1 off the bench). Based on guys like Murray & Cotter, lock seems like a position more tolerant of their smaller body weights, and they have tonnes of energy/speed.

MMolo I wouldnt be running with.. thats really it for reserve grade, the rest are our younger kids like Stewart or Latu are longer term projects.

Chrichton is a huge step up from any of our forwards though.. and not much else to spend cap on, Im sure we will atleast try.

The big question is whether we keep Eisenhuth.. I know the answer seems obvious, but forward positions are tight for 2025.. especially if we are still chasing the legendary alpha dog...

Parko1310

Juniors
Not too sure how it can continue to be argued that Sexton isn't a better half than Kyle Flanagan. Same style in that they are controlling halves, and Sexton is better. We are not signing a marquee half for next season, so we should upgrade where we can. Sexton is an upgrade and is off contract. Owned both Hunt and Flano last night. When I saw he'd come into the team for Hutch, I was worried

TheRev

First Grade
Not too sure how it can continue to be argued that Sexton isn't a better half than Kyle Flanagan. Same style in that they are controlling halves, and Sexton is better. We are not signing a marquee half for next season, so we should upgrade where we can. Sexton is an upgrade and is off contract. Owned both Hunt and Flano last night. When I saw he'd come into the team for Hutch, I was worried
I think Sexton will get an extension if he can keep that up for a few games.. I think next week we will see more of what Kyle is capable of without Hunt, however he does seem a bit too robotic.. but also its hard to compare our attack when you see the shape that the dogs threw at us.. and we dont actually have shape.. we play a power game with big boys bashing running hard, edge to edge... we also have a fullback who really only threatens in open space so he isnt going to break tackles himself and open space doesnt always come, so our ability to score points is very unpredictable.. i.e. there isnt a natural conversion of field position into points... its why things dry right up for us at times.

Kyle struggles to cover centre also so perhaps not the ideal 14 either, I suppose he covers 6/7/9 which is something, but we need an agile back rower to cover centre, maybe one of the couchmans could do it....

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Last night the Dogs would have had a chuckle seeing KFlanno and RFM play like they did. Saints are a laughing stock at the moment.

TheRev

First Grade
Last night the Dogs would have had a chuckle seeing KFlanno and RFM play like they did. Saints are a laughing stock at the moment.
I agree, but im frustrated cause those 2 key injuries were the reason for them looking so good (and the ref didnt help), we were leading at halftime.. and I was rly hoping we could bash them in the 2nd.. but I also knew once JDB and Eisenhuth had to do extra work, their errors and missed tackles would be there unless we dominated possession.. which we really didnt. Losing a centre on top just handed them the win.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The losing a centre issue can easily be fixed if Flanno puts Lomax to centre and Bird to the bench. He does have that option which he refuses to use for some reason. If Bird has told him he only wants to play centre and not in the forwards then how is that different to Lomax? I really hope we see this happen when Bird recovers.

Parko1310

Juniors
I think Sexton will get an extension if he can keep that up for a few games.. I think next week we will see more of what Kyle is capable of without Hunt, however he does seem a bit too robotic.. but also its hard to compare our attack when you see the shape that the dogs threw at us.. and we dont actually have shape.. we play a power game with big boys bashing running hard, edge to edge... we also have a fullback who really only threatens in open space so he isnt going to break tackles himself and open space doesnt always come, so our ability to score points is very unpredictable.. i.e. there isnt a natural conversion of field position into points... its why things dry right up for us at times.

Kyle struggles to cover centre also so perhaps not the ideal 14 either, I suppose he covers 6/7/9 which is something, but we need an agile back rower to cover centre, maybe one of the couchmans could do it....
The simple truth of it is Kyle Flanagan isn't good enough. Sure, he's admirable in filling a gap in our team, and will continue to do admirable things here and there during games throughout the course of the season. The thing that is worrying to me though, is fans seem to be planning for Kyle as if he's a walk up half in this team for the next 2,3, 4 years. He's not, he isn't good enough. The talk about him being a 14 is perplexing to me as well. He provides no impact, no variation, no speed to a game. He's not a 14. I'm fine for Kyle to be at the club, but the vision for him should be that he's playing reserve grade at either hooker or half and that is where he stays until there is injury/suspension/origin. He is no more than an admirable back up, and I feel that fans are losing sight of this reality. He is not an answer, he's a stop gap