What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skram

Juniors
Awesome effort rom everyone involved, was good to hear the huge crowd riding the ref, makes a fair bit of difference.

ozbash

Referee
Rich102 said:
Doesn't the way the team are playing have something to do with the crowd? Not just the marketing?
People will follow a winning team.

hey, this is auckland we're talking about. the biggest bunch of band wagon jumpers this side of sydney.

no, there was a hell of a lot more in the media about last nights game, even our local rag had an article spelling out the special deals.

as far as the winning team theory goes, how many were at the last home ? just on 10k if my memory serves me correctly, with no rugby, dylan etc and a fine night.

nah, the cheaper seats get the jaffas there in droves.

Skinner

Coach
ozbash said:
hey, this is auckland we're talking about. the biggest bunch of band wagon jumpers this side of sydney.

no, there was a hell of a lot more in the media about last nights game, even our local rag had an article spelling out the special deals.

as far as the winning team theory goes, how many were at the last home ? just on 10k if my memory serves me correctly, with no rugby, dylan etc and a fine night.

nah, the cheaper seats get the jaffas there in droves.

And I just wish other clubs and franchises would understand this. Both for bums on
seats and food and beverage etc.

Charge a little less and sell an awful lot more. I come out of the FMCG industry. High
volume - low profit...it works every time.

Iafeta

Referee
Well that's obviously basic economics isn't it? The commodities you are speaking of sound as if they are very much price elastic. Not all commodoties follow this rule. All they need to be concerned about is finding the equilibrium point that maximises revenue, not seats sold as such. It's up to their marketing department to ascertain the correct pricing structure to maximise that revenue.

For example, which is better? Selling 20,000 seats @ $5 each=$100,000 revenue
Or selling 10,000 seats at $11 each=$110,000 revenue

Withstanding long term benefits from gaining potential brand loyalties with the first option, ceteris paribus, option B is better. It's obviously a good time to strike currently to lower the price a bit, offer top quality football or a winning football team, and see if long term you can sustain those people through the gate through the building of loyalty to the club.

ozbash

Referee
thats probably true with tix sales but the average punter spends more dosh than just at the gate.Costs us $90-100 for food,drinks, merchandise as well as the ticket price.

I dont know what the NRL are interested in, numbers of bums on seats or what those bums paid to get there..

then you have that thing called atmosphere...

Iafeta

Referee
But are they individual operators who pay a sublease to the ARC or the Warriors? And thus the crowd really doesn't affect either of those parties in the short term?

Or are they Warriors run and operated, again you'd have to look at the margins on each of the commodities. If you expect a crowd, and don't over purchase your direct goods it should be largely ok. Again it'd come down to the strength of your marketing information to make the right decisions.

playdaball

Bench
Skinner said:
Charge a little less and sell an awful lot more. I come out of the FMCG industry. High
volume - low profit...it works every time.

Same industry as me Skins. Works with big supermarkets chains i.e. Pak N Save. They also have other ways of making $$ such as charging 'real estate', making bigger margins on meat,fruit and veges, keeping staff costs down by utilising Supplier's staff etc etc.

The high volume , low margin theory does not always work. Back to the footy ...

it was great to see a decent crowd back at Mt Smart. My ususal parking spot was much fuller than usual.