What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 metres

eel01s

Bench
What got to me more than the two gifted tries to Manly was our inability to make any ground with the footy.

It seemed to me like time after time we would be lucky to make 25m in five tackles after Manly had kicked the ball. Sure we did have the odd good set, but we were dreadful in the second half when Manly lifted. Their linespeed in defence was terrific, and we were getting smashed.

Thank God we have Fui, otherwise we would really be screwed. But he shouldn't have to do it on his own. Most people here would agree that our forward pack is our strength, yet the lack of metres in our pack is truly a concern.

What do others think? Do we need improvement in this area, or is it OK to rely on Hayne's massive boot to get us out of trouble?

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Fui and Mannah made much more than Rose and Kite last night. I actually thought the Eels forwards played much better than Manly and often made easy metres. You just have no kicking game and shit backs.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Fui and Mannah made much more than Rose and Kite last night. I actually thought the Eels forwards played much better than Manly and often made easy metres. You just have no kicking game and shit backs.
Manly fans can see what some Parra fans fail to see. And next yr With Sandow,Roberts and Tonga x 2 we will go a long way to rectifying those problems.

Beez

Juniors
Manly's linespeed was great in the second half, limiting our go-forward.

Our linespeed in defence is crap, thus allowing the opposition to make more metres than they should.

Ever since Brian Smith left the club, our linespeed in defence has been average. Surely it's not that hard to coach that into the players, is it?

When we played against the Storm a few weeks ago, they're line speed was great. However,when we got into they're 20m zone, they're linespeed was even faster than usual. Well coached team.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I agree with all of that Beez, apart from the bit about Brian Smith. Please don't say anything good about past coaches. I don't like it.

Eelementary

Post Whore

That's right.

But we also suffered from having two good second-rowers playing in the centres. They may have occasionally drifted in-field to take hit-ups, but their presence near the ruck was missed for the full 80 IMO.

jono

Juniors
were all dressing room doors all ok last night?
FMD they get gifted a bloody win on a platter by our ADD team , and Dessie STILL whinges about how the senior ref should make the important calls.
Go suck another lemon Des

ParraSteve

Juniors
We had trouble getting out of our own half due to manlys line speed, that were excellent in that department last night. they really made us work for every metre

forward pass

Coach
We had trouble getting out of our own half due to manlys line speed, that were excellent in that department last night. they really made us work for every metre

Absolutely correct - but when the opposition defence is rushing up in three's and four's and smashing the ball carrier, then a well coached side will stand deeper and shift the ball 2 or 3 passes rather than one, to counteract that. We never seem to do that and therefore get smashed for 5 tackles and then try to kick from poor position.

ParraSteve

Juniors
Oh for sure, we needed to pass it out wider, we can play a structured game we just need variety while doing it

Bigfella

Coach
As long as we refuse to address the need for speed and power in our outside backs we will suffer from this diffculty on sustaining the arm wrestle over the eighty minutes.

I think the improvements we have seen aressove given that our wingers this year are the weakest crop since the 90s, even though the position is even
more important now than then.

We get absolutely slaughtered on kick returns and are under unnecessary pressure following kicks.

Even when we play well sides know they can wrestle momentum back with an even share of possession because they will wear us down by making good metres on their own kick returns then pinning us down Iin our end.

It's been a bigger factor than mental weakness or use of interchange bench IMO.

I'd like to see two quality fast outside backs added to the squad still.

our poor kicking game comes into this as well when their first tackle is on the 30 metre line and ours is on the 10 it puts them on the front foot and us on the back one every set

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
to the OP, you are right about one thing, Manly's line speed was amazing, we had absolutely no time to get attacking moves happening

Latest posts