What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 Teams. 5 Divisions.

docbrown

Coach
I like the idea but PNG belongs with QLD not the pacific, closer both geographically and in time zones
It all depends on the make up teams. This was just to shop people how the NRL is capable of basically dominating our entire local region with 24-25 teams.

MugaB

Coach
Sharks are left off deliberately?

it may be a problem with how I can view the image but am I right that you’ve left a few blanks spots in the divisions where there is no obvious answer?
Adelaide shark exist on the map
Im not a fan of THAT relocation, but im guessing he is using the map as a placeholder for future bids,
The inclusion of
Sunshine Coast Dingos, Western Australian Swans, Victorian Bushrangers, Northern Crocs, Fiji Turtles, Wellington Orcas, Christchurch Keas, Central Coast Bears, can always be plug in/plug out, if we were going to that amount of teams surely they'd be another Brisbane team aswell
But otherwise the locations (dots on the map)
are pretty well spot on

I've always said if there was ever a relocation from the Sydney based clubs, you'd pick the strongest club but also the one which offers nothing in sydney, that way they'd be able to survive in a foreign market, and that's most probably the roosters, as they seem to have less to do with actually growing the game in sydney and are moreso the glamour club that could easily operate from Adelaide, than any other sydney based club could.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
I think we should do a 20 team,4 divisions comp

Setup conferences, pool/split those teams via distance/geography (ie all QLD)
And have them double up against their conference clubs, then play the rest of the comp once

West = Perth,Penrith,Parra,Tigers,Dogs
North = Titans,Bronx,Phins,Cowboys,PNG
East = Nz2,Warriors,Knights,Manly,Roosters
South = Souths,Dragons,Sharks,Raiders,Storm

23 round season, (apply byes to stretch out season, with 9 games a week, if needed to get to a 27 rounds, otherwise don't for 10 games a week)

play 8 games within conference/division, 15 games outside of conference/division, with a magic rival round to round off 12 H/A season (i.e 24 actual rounds)

Best 2 teams out of the whole season go straight to week 2 of finals (week off), with the highest one, the minor premier, and the best/rest top 2 in their respective division ladder go to finals to make up a 10 team final series

If the game wants to expand further to a 24 team comp add an extra team to each division =
Adelaide, Seq4, Fiji, Vic2

Last edited:

And have them double up against their conference clubs, then play the rest of the comp once

23 round season, (apply byes to stretch out season, with 9 games a week, if needed to get to a 27 rounds, otherwise don't for 10 games a week)

play 8 games within conference/division, 15 games outside of conference/division, with a magic rival round to round off 12 H/A season (i.e 24 actual rounds)

Best 2 teams out of the whole season go straight to week 2 of finals (week off), with the highest one, the minor premier, and the best/rest top 2 in their respective division ladder go to finals to make up a 10 team final series

If the game wants to expand further to a 24 team comp add an extra team to each division =
That’s about the best proposed conferences I have seen.

In saying that, I think conferences are unnecessary.

I hate byes, get rid I reckon or have international break.

MugaB

Coach
That’s about the best proposed conferences I have seen.

In saying that, I think conferences are unnecessary.

I hate byes, get rid I reckon or have international break.
I like divisions coz it will breed more rivaling neighbouring clubs, by having them consistently play home and away every year, (not randomly the way it it now) plus having a conference/pool/division ladder for that set of clubs means that 2 points is way more valuable then one verse another team from another pool... coz you need to stay above your rivals to make finals, this would just bred more hate, and be more intense

flippikat

Bench

That's the best split of divisions I've seen.

The North, East & South divisions each have 3 clubs pretty close to each other (Titans/Broncos/Dolphins, Knights/Manly/Roosters, Souths/Dragons/Sharks) and 2 clubs further flung.

The West division is unique - and maybe a bit unbalanced, given that Penrith, Parra, Tigers & Dogs are all within a drive of each other

If one of those teams was relocated to Adelaide (or replaced with an Adelaide team), it'd have the "3 close, 2 further-flung" ratio that the others do.

MugaB

Coach
That's the best split of divisions I've seen.

The North, East & South divisions each have 3 clubs pretty close to each other (Titans/Broncos/Dolphins, Knights/Manly/Roosters, Souths/Dragons/Sharks) and 2 clubs further flung.

The West division is unique - and maybe a bit unbalanced, given that Penrith, Parra, Tigers & Dogs are all within a drive of each other

If one of those teams was relocated to Adelaide (or replaced with an Adelaide team), it'd have the "3 close, 2 further-flung" ratio that the others do.
Well there was also a chance to put dogs in south and sharks in east too, shift certain clubs depending on the newer expansion teams

flippikat

Bench
Well there was also a chance to put dogs in south and sharks in east too, shift certain clubs depending on the newer expansion teams
Nah, if the next 3 expansion teams are PNG, Perth (those 2 look likely if not certain), then NZ 2 (likely, but never discount the possible dark horse of Brisbane 3) then the setup you first posted is the best - precisely because 3/4 of the divisions have very similar balance.

If team 20 is Brisbane 3 instead of NZ 2, then either PNG or one of the Queensland teams has to drop out of the "North Division", which causes one of the other divisions to lose that "3 close, 2 far flung" model & throws the whole balance out.

Colk

First Grade
There’s never going to be enough talent for 25 teams. You’ll have multiple teams getting beat by 50 every week and people will eventually lose interest.

Heck if they don’t seriously revamp the transfer market and salary cap there might not be enough players for 18 or 20.

MugaB

Coach
There’s never going to be enough talent for 25 teams. You’ll have multiple teams getting beat by 50 every week and people will eventually lose interest.

Heck if they don’t seriously revamp the transfer market and salary cap there might not be enough players for 18 or 20.
If you don't create extra 1st grade teams you cannot create Extra 1st grade talent, the clubs are the ones providing the nessesary training to make these players of quality that we are used to seeing in nrl standard, there will always be stronger teams than others, always, but generally you'll see 2 teams who are of even strength duke it out morso than the storm vs souffs one sided drumming

Colk

First Grade
If you don't create extra 1st grade teams you cannot create Extra 1st grade talent, the clubs are the ones providing the nessesary training to make these players of quality that we are used to seeing in nrl standard, there will always be stronger teams than others, always, but generally you'll see 2 teams who are of even strength duke it out morso than the storm vs souffs one sided drumming

Mate the way that the transfer system is working you’ll see 3 or 4 teams hold all of the elite talent, about half a dozen middling clubs and the rest of them will be current NSW Cup standard.

We don’t have the population and the way the competition is run atm prevents me from thinking that way

MugaB

Coach
Mate the way that the transfer system is working you’ll see 3 or 4 teams hold all of the elite talent, about half a dozen middling clubs and the rest of them will be current NSW Cup standard.

We don’t have the population and the way the competition is run atm prevents me from thinking that way
No different to most of the sporting competitions of the world, only difference is we don't believe in relegation, because wth that equals extinction, anything like will lose the brand that the NRL wishes to keep strong, otherwise we would have merged/culled even more teams a long time ago, they see the value in our current brands, wests tigers are a very example of that, sure they are perrenial losers, but when they come good everyone backs them.. not everything is about winning,

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
No different to most of the sporting competitions of the world, only difference is we don't believe in relegation, because wth that equals extinction, anything like will lose the brand that the NRL wishes to keep strong, otherwise we would have merged/culled even more teams a long time ago, they see the value in our current brands, wests tigers are a very example of that, sure they are perrenial losers, but when they come good everyone backs them.. not everything is about winning,

Sure but teams have to have a hope that they could potentially win a competition whether that be in the short term or in the long term.

I don’t believe in this theory. Between elite rugby union programmes the world over, rugby sevens and British RL, there is ample, predominantly untapped talent to attract to the NRL. It just hasn’t needed to at this stage.

MugaB

Coach
I don’t believe in this theory. Between elite rugby union programmes the world over, rugby sevens and British RL, there is ample, predominantly untapped talent to attract to the NRL. It just hasn’t needed to at this stage.
This ^^^^^

Unless..... the clubs don't see a competitive value in pursuing it, they don't bother trying, look at Canberra Raiders they've always had hardships trying to attract talent to their club, back in the 80s the QLders then NZers and a decade later the UK.
The club was pushed to think outside the box and pursue other avenues to acquire talent,
That is until "Penrith" ... wait what!!!
...Wow we can develop our own elite Players...
Or just buy them off the rack at mulgoa rd end of premiership year sale...
Clubs are now realising the value in local talent, but that takes a decade to build proper pathways, thus needing talent from elsewhere to bolster in the meantime.

Put more teams in!, make them desperate enough to search for talent, in the meantime teams will starve and do what richy richos doing , canvasing the ESL

MugaB

Coach
If team 20 is Brisbane 3 instead of NZ 2, then either PNG or one of the Queensland teams has to drop out of the "North Division", which causes one of the other divisions to lose that "3 close, 2 far flung" model & throws the whole balance out.
Well then Titans could join the eastern pool.
titans have a very good rivalry with both warriors and knights, they'd be good games to watch, but them being so close to brisbane, you'd rather not consider it, but if you had to that's one to do it

Latest posts