What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

Diesel

Referee
I think they’ll try to bring back Monday night for the 10th game, if not the 9th.

I’d go:
8pm Thursday
6pm & 8pm Friday
3pm, 5:30pm & 7:30pm Saturday
2pm, 4pm & 6:30pm Sunday

10th game floating between Monday night or one of the options opened by different time zones. Like 12pm Sunday in NZ or a late night game from Perth.
7:30 for Thursday. Nine are making it harder for the next gen of kids to watch games, even if they’re just watching the first half on Thursdays

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I’d say that Perth Bears will be announced as the 18th team to be introduced in 2027. There will be leaks from the meeting about the order of who will be introduced when but officially it will be announced in Round 22 when the Dolphins host the Roosters in Perth.

Order will be Perth 2027, PNG 2028 then NZ2 2030(barring a late irresistible bid from another QLD consortium). If another Brisbane team were to be introduced instead of PNG then NZ2 would be 2028 and Brisbane 3 will be in 2030 or 2032 to coincide with the Olympics there.

PNG in 2028 gives the AUS & PNG governments time to start getting the money put into establishing the grassroots in PNG and development academies; with the NRL starting to take some pre and regular season games there for ground truthing.

NZ2 in 2030 gives the Warriors a bit more of a chance to solidify their on field performances in the hope that 2023 wasn’t just a fluke season.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Fair point, and I was meaning in terms of "restoring the class of 1995" (or the closest we have to that, accepting the Dolphins are a different model to the Crushers)

Still, 30 or so years just to achieve some Sydney rationalization (including a half-Illawarra half Sydney JV), replacing the Crushers with the NRL branch of a heritage BRL side & adding Melbourne (which will basically be the difference between the 1995 ARL competition line-up and the first year of Perth if they're team 18) seems pretty slow progress.
Looking at the state the game was in pre-PVL; I don’t think 30 years is that slow in the end. Greenberg had basically over-inflated head office and the NRL was bleeding money in departments it didn’t need…. They weren’t even in a position to bring in 1 new team; let alone another 4 in 10 years to bring it to 20 teams. TBH, if PVL hadn’t come on board I don’t think the Dolphins would be here now.

Pre-Greenberg, there were multiple clubs that needed to be bailed out by the NRL or were on death’s door, so if new clubs had been brought in at the time, many may not have survived or would have just taken the place of other clubs that had collapsed due to bankruptcy.

MugaB

Coach
I’d say that Perth Bears will be announced as the 18th team to be introduced in 2027. There will be leaks from the meeting about the order of who will be introduced when but officially it will be announced in Round 22 when the Dolphins host the Roosters in Perth.

Order will be Perth 2027, PNG 2028 then NZ2 2030(barring a late irresistible bid from another QLD consortium). If another Brisbane team were to be introduced instead of PNG then NZ2 would be 2028 and Brisbane 3 will be in 2030 or 2032 to coincide with the Olympics there.

PNG in 2028 gives the AUS & PNG governments time to start getting the money put into establishing the grassroots in PNG and development academies; with the NRL starting to take some pre and regular season games there for ground truthing.

NZ2 in 2030 gives the Warriors a bit more of a chance to solidify their on field performances in the hope that 2023 wasn’t just a fluke season.
This sounds all good, it also sounds like png being pushed to an announcement next year during the 50 year anniversary of independence, even though they've basically confirmed it now already...
The interesting one is the Nz2 vs SEQ4 with the Olympics in Brisbane maybe there's some hope to grant them a third Brisbane side, although that would be a tough to start while all the stadiums and venues are being used aswell as focus on Olympics rather than the "new franchise" which could be miserable come mid year...
Yea nz2 is probably the go-er

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Fair point, and I was meaning in terms of "restoring the class of 1995" (or the closest we have to that, accepting the Dolphins are a different model to the Crushers)

Still, 30 or so years just to achieve some Sydney rationalization (including a half-Illawarra half Sydney JV), replacing the Crushers with the NRL branch of a heritage BRL side & adding Melbourne (which will basically be the difference between the 1995 ARL competition line-up and the first year of Perth if they're team 18) seems pretty slow progress.
Yep, we were really struggling and stuck in conservative mode after the war

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Will there be an announcement of the outcome tomorrow or will they wait til after origin, potentially Friday for an outcome?
I think they’ll do something small on the Friday so as not to take away from the do-or-die clash in SoO…. Maybe to say that they have decided to expand to 20 teams by 2030, criteria they looked at to make their decision and some of the ins & outs of the process; and will promise a more detailed announcement at a later date. Gives consortiums the time to prep their stuff too.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
This sounds all good, it also sounds like png being pushed to an announcement next year during the 50 year anniversary of independence, even though they've basically confirmed it now already...
The interesting one is the Nz2 vs SEQ4 with the Olympics in Brisbane maybe there's some hope to grant them a third Brisbane side, although that would be a tough to start while all the stadiums and venues are being used aswell as focus on Olympics rather than the "new franchise" which could be miserable come mid year...
Re: PNG, I think they’d still announce in one hit who the bids will be and what year they will come in. I think your idea will still be used though; maybe to reveal the team name and colours on the anniversary of independence (assuming it’s not just the PNG Hunters being promoted to NRL).

MugaB

Coach
Heard a leak. Team 18 The Moderators based out of West Redcliffe. Team already shaping up:
1. Pipsqueak
2. Donkey Bong
3. WB tiktok
4. Matt IP
Full Forward: AFL Red
Coach: Wayne Bennett
You forgot
5. Millhouse Bump!
6. Karenard
7. Maxipad
8. Drunk VLAD
9. and very VERY Boring Brian

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Yeah, I think that’s why if they were going to go BNE/SEQ then it would more likely come in 2030 to give them 2 years before the Olympics, establish the brand in QLD, get a following and work out a primary home and an alternate during the Olympics… that said, I remember 2000 for the Sydney Olympics they just started the season a couple months earlier as the Olympics kicked off in September. Was a good way for them to test the Olympic site infrastructure before they officially opened the games.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
I'd suggest its quite possible the Perth deal is done and its based on WA Govt support. Id also suggest (given the Perth bid and WA govt are in Sydney together this week) that the Perth bid will get the license. The only thing to be decided is if they partner with someone. NRL could go to open tender for a Perth club but its unlikely given the ground work done by WA govt. If it will be 18 or PNG will be 18 remains the thing we are waiting to hear.
Who are the “we” that you are referring to?

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I'd suggest its quite possible the Perth deal is done and its based on WA Govt support. Id also suggest (given the Perth bid and WA govt are in Sydney together this week) that the Perth bid will get the license. The only thing to be decided is if they partner with someone. NRL could go to open tender for a Perth club but its unlikely given the ground work done by WA govt. If it will be 18 or PNG will be 18 remains the thing we are waiting to hear.
I honestly believe the better option would be to allow Perth to stand on its own as it will probably be more stable and then have PNG with the Bears. PNG will probably use the bears colours anyway and it gives them an established resource of developed grassroots players to make them a bit more competitive. I don’t think you’d have as many problems getting Marquee Players to go to Perth as you would have for Port Moresby.

Worst case, if the Government pulls its funding for PNG then the Bears just move back to Sydney/CC and the PNG experiment goes on as a memory like Glebe, the Crushers, Rams or the multiple iterations of Gold Coast.

Latest posts