What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

Bukowski

Juniors
I can see Bears ending in tears, Jets becoming a genuine Perth club.
The two just seem to have very different attitudes.
end of day it will be up to the Perth bid and WA govt to decide, who, if any, they partner with. The Perth bid are made up of smart business guys with RL backgrounds who will be pragmatic.
If they feel the best future for a Perth club is a partnership I have no doubts they will pick the one they think will deliver the best long term outcome for a Perth club. If they feel they have what it takes to be successful alone and that the NRl will accept that I have no doubt we will see a stand alone club. Looking forward to what they decide.
As long as the partnership is their choice. A forced partnership would never work.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
The major difference between the Bears and Swans/Lions is that the Bears have not played at the top level in 25 years, they play in front of two dogs and one man each weekend and their supporter base is now invisible in Sydney. I mean that’s a lovely romantic post you’ve written but , a bit like the Tasmanian stadium waffle you recently posted, you have no idea what you are talking about.
The irony

Perth Red

Post Whore
As long as the partnership is their choice. A forced partnership would never work.
The good thing is NRL has opened it to bids. ergo they arent dictating anything and will judge bids on their merits.

Only way it feels forced is if the WA bid feel they wont get accepted as stand alone as they cant tick all the boxes the NRL set and have to go with Bears.

Really there are only two areas we dont know 1. $'s the perth bid can put on the table and 2. Pathway expectations. Pretty confident the perth bid can tick most others as stand alone and may well be able to tick those two. If singo and his mates throw large wads of cash at them for little demand though it may well lead them that way.

Jamberoo

Juniors
The major difference between the Bears and Swans/Lions is that the Bears have not played at the top level in 25 years, they play in front of two dogs and one man each weekend and their supporter base is now invisible in Sydney. I mean that’s a lovely romantic post you’ve written but , a bit like the Tasmanian stadium waffle you recently posted, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Sure they have small crowds now, just like every other second tier club. If the Bears can’t provide any way support at Sydney games, then they certainly have little to offer and should be consigned to history. How many would turn up for a final played at Alliance?

What do you think became of Bears fans from 25 years ago? Do they follow other NRL clubs? Swans?

Matt_CBY

Juniors
end of day it will be up to the Perth bid and WA govt to decide, who, if any, they partner with. The Perth bid are made up of smart business guys with RL backgrounds who will be pragmatic.
If they feel the best future for a Perth club is a partnership I have no doubts they will pick the one they think will deliver the best long term outcome for a Perth club. If they feel they have what it takes to be successful alone and that the NRl will accept that I have no doubt we will see a stand alone club. Looking forward to what they decide.
Does the NRI sponsor the Waratahs?

Whats that got to do with anything?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sure they have small crowds now, just like every other second tier club. If the Bears can’t provide any way support at Sydney games, then they certainly have little to offer and should be consigned to history. How many would turn up for a final played at Alliance?

What do you think became of Bears fans from 25 years ago? Do they follow other NRL clubs? Swans?
Im not sure it should be a Perth clubs resonsibility to add 10% to sydney crowds, if there are even that many active Bears fans willing to travel across sydney (travelling across sydney seems a major problem for RL fans in that city)

It only has 8k seats and a current capacity of 10k. Perth will make double or triple $ playing in Perth.

The main advantage for Perth of partnering with Bears is away crowds (and members) in Sydney. This benefits the team by having some crowd support to get behind them, but most importantly it benefits the Sydney clubs by having an extra couple of thousand Bears fans at games v Perth. It mean that games v Manly will be a sellout rather than their smallest of the season. Fans will come out of the woodwork, especially for finals. An extra $50k - $150k revenue per game v Perth is a good reason for PVL and the Sydney clubs to push for Perth Bears.

By way of example, the Swans/Lions away crowds in Melbourne are 10k & 5k higher than the average of the other six non Victorian AFL teams. So surely the Bears could bring 1k - 5k to games (depending on venue).

The Jets give Perth bid some leverage over Bears. Jets are not asking for anything, they are offering their branding and pathways. The positives of Bears is more fans. The negative is games at NSO.

Best outcome is a Perth offer to take on Bears branding and pathways, with ownership and all games in WA. Maybe one Bears seat on the board. This would be very similar to when Brisbane took the branding and some players from Fitzroy in 1996 - a takeover rather than a merger.
The Lions should be using the red and blue coloues of Fitzroy. The maroon doesn't fit in.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
To think that someone from North Sydney would support a team from Perth just because the team has a crummy bears logo and plays 1 game a year at a cricket oval is ludicrous.

Only a dope like wbgoogle would believe that this would work.
You’re having a laugh right?

The only way it explains an illogical argument being stated as if it were logical.

BuffaloRules

Coach

Michael Carayannis was pretty bullish about the Jets on SEN this morning … says they haven’t asked for anything ( unlike the Bears ) and Singleton is prepared to put some money into the bid …

Matt_CBY

Juniors
The good thing is NRL has opened it to bids. ergo they arent dictating anything and will judge bids on their merits.

Only way it feels forced is if the WA bid feel they wont get accepted as stand alone as they cant tick all the boxes the NRL set and have to go with Bears.

Really there are only two areas we dont know 1. $'s the perth bid can put on the table and 2. Pathway expectations. Pretty confident the perth bid can tick most others as stand alone and may well be able to tick those two. If singo and his mates throw large wads of cash at them for little demand though it may well lead them that way.

Bold section - that’s impossible unless you know that the merits are. And because you’re talking with authority over the merits, please share with us what merits the ARLC will use to determine the next three licenses. Thanks

It is what it is

crying about it won’t change it

The amount of moaning on here about one nrl game is hilarious

what about when clubs take a home game to Darwin or Bathurst or magic ?

oh no let’s forget about those lol
The difference is Sydney has around 100 NRL regular season games each year. Perth will have a maximum of 12.

Sydney clubs take games interstate in exchange for money from the host town/city. If they played these games at their traditional home they would make less money due to poor returns on game day. They're not taking these games interstate out of kindness.