What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

Pippen94

First Grade
3 day countdown! Getting exciting now.
Will PNG get announced as was expected?
will Perth trump them to club 18?
Will the nrl blow everyone away and announce a three club expansion strategy?
How long after the meeting till something offical comes out?
Will we get media leaks prior?

exciting week ahead for us pro expansion fans.

Meh

Centy Coast

Juniors
3 day countdown! Getting exciting now.
Will PNG get announced as was expected?
will Perth trump them to club 18?
Will the nrl blow everyone away and announce a three club expansion strategy?
How long after the meeting till something offical comes out?
Will we get media leaks prior?

exciting week ahead for us pro expansion fans.
Do you think they will announce anything ?, not taking the piss, honest question ?.
I hope so just to end all of this speculation.

Even if V'landys announces the three teams are Christchurch, Perth and Port Moresby I won't believe it until they run onto the field.

We've had NSW Gov council the rebuild of Stadium Australia.

Vic Gov cancel the 2026 Commonwealth Games.

QLD Gov cancel the Gabba rebuild.

America cancel its RLWC.

America's proposed professional RL competition was also cancelled.

Vlad59

Bench
Even if V'landys announces the three teams are Christchurch, Perth and Port Moresby I won't believe it until they run onto the field.

We've had NSW Gov council the rebuild of Stadium Australia.

Vic Gov cancel the 2026 Commonwealth Games.

QLD Gov cancel the Gabba rebuild.

America cancel its RLWC.

America's proposed professional RL competition was also cancelled.
Potato

Bukowski

Bench
I expect Perth to be announced as 18 but no team, they’ll call for bids with a decision to be made by the end of the year to give 2 years lead in.
NZ2 as 19, and PNG as 20, however if it’s not ready or is not deemed safe, Brisbane3 gets the nod
I think this is spot on. Team 18 will be confirmed for 2027 and will go ahead. A timeline for 19 and 20 but nothing really firm in that regards. They may not eventuate.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do you think they will announce anything ?, not taking the piss, honest question ?.
I hope so just to end all of this speculation.
Who knows? It’s obviously an important meeting where nrl will pitch to the clubs their plans. How clubs respond may well determine if we get any concrete news. Given the perth bid are only meeting the bears and jets this week it’s clear the nrl won’t announce exact details if it’s Perth. They may announce Perth will be club 18 and open bidding. Or they may be ready to announce png as team 18 if the clubs give the go ahead.

if they do announce png as club 18 I hope they announce perth at same time as club 19. Be a shame to lose this state govt support.

Last edited:
Who knows? It’s obviously an important meeting where nrl will pitch to the clubs their plans. How clubs respond may well determine if we get any concrete news. Given the perth bid are only meeting the bears and jets this week it’s clear the nrl won’t announce exact details if it’s Perth. They may announce Perth will be club 18 and open bidding. Or they may be ready to announce png as team 18 if the clubs give the go ahead.

if they do announce png as club 18 I hope they announce perth at same time as club 19. Be a shame to lose this state govt support.
I really hope the PNG proposal is canned.

The WA Gov has spoken about developing PRS and building a high performance training centre. Hopefully the business case from Cumins stacks up so Perth can get a team of its own.

I expect Perth to be announced as 18 but no team, they’ll call for bids with a decision to be made by the end of the year to give 2 years lead in.
NZ2 as 19, and PNG as 20, however if it’s not ready or is not deemed safe, Brisbane3 gets the nod
PNG is decades away from being ready for an NRL team.

Albo and V'landys can talk it up all they like. It won't change the fact no one from Australia and New Zealand will want to play for a team based in Port Moresby. Nor will it change the fact that too few Papuans have enough money to actively support an NRL club.

All NRL games in PNG are locked away on Digicel. A monthly subscription is almost $80. The average Australian NRL fan pays half as much for Kayo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I really hope the PNG proposal is canned.

The WA Gov has spoken about developing PRS and building a high performance training centre. Hopefully the business case from Cumins stacks up so Perth can get a team of its own.
That would be the ideal!
perth club 18 with plans for nz2 as 19 then decide on club 20 in a few years when we see how things have played out.

it’ll leave a lot of egg on Vlandys face if png doesn’t happen so I can see it being pushed through despite its huge risks and issues.

That would be the ideal!
perth club 18 with plans for nz2 as 19 then decide on club 20 in a few years when we see how things have played out.

it’ll leave a lot of egg on Vlandys face if png doesn’t happen so I can see it being pushed through despite its huge risks and issues.
V'landys has said a lot of dumb things that he's had to walk back. He's a loud mouth and a loose cannon.

V'landys and Abdo have scaled back the hype around PNG over the last few weeks. They've spoken about the clubs needing to accept the proposal for it to get the licence. That's never going to happen.

Abdo also spoke about the PNG club needing to be competive on the field to get a licence. That's never going to happen because no one will want to play for it. The whole thing is falling apart, as many on here suspected would happen.

V'landys really stuck his foot in his mouth by injecting the Bears into the centre of this drama. All he's succeeded in doing is create division between RL fans in Perth and the Bears. He's now got a geriatric simpleton trying to get Newtown involved, even though he might be dead by the time the 18th team runs onto a field for its first game.

The mad scientists who did this to you should be locked up for committing crimes against plantkind.

Plants with excess chromosome 1 and a deficiency of chromosome 3 had increased stem diameter, for example. To test the finding, plants were created that had both an excess of chromosome 1 and were deficient in chromosome 3, and stem diameter grew as predicted.

It caused a huge increase to the diameter of your "stem".

IMG_0043.jpeg