What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It’s not about the remaining clubs. Its about the clubs that aren’t in the competition anymore and the after effects of that are still being felt.
I see what you are saying, bit the game as a whole has moved forward as a result.

Brisbane made sacrifices in terms of the BRL and our local league no longer being first grade, ditto Newcastle and the lost Sydney clubs are Sydney's sacrifice on the way to a National league

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Telegraph reporting 20 teams have been signed off
18 Perth 2027 most likely Bears
19 PNG 2028
20 ??
Only the plan to expand has been signed off. There’s no guarantee of who is in what year yet as call for EOIs over the next month is what the plan involves. Whoever provides the best business case will ultimately be the first cab off the rank…. But I’m sure the NRL and the media outlets have their favourites and preferences as to who it should be (cough.. Perth.. Cough cough)

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
It’s not about the remaining clubs. It’s about the clubs that aren’t in the competition anymore and the after effects of that are still being felt.
Which ones are you talking about though? The Sydney teams that have been deleted? the only WA franchise that was unfairly pulled because they chose the wrong side?

Tbh, if you’re talking about the former then I don’t think those effects are as harshly felt now as they were back in the early 2000s.

I see what you are saying, bit the game as a whole has moved forward as a result.

Brisbane made sacrifices in terms of the BRL and our local league no longer being first grade, ditto Newcastle and the lost Sydney clubs are Sydney's sacrifice on the way to a National league
There's no getting through to him. He's a biased sook with an agenda.

final say

Juniors
20 teams by 2032 means they will have 3 years between each expansion:
2023 dolphins
2026 team 18
2029 team 19
2032 team 20
PNG isn't close to ready
Perth still deciding who they are in bed with
But Christchurch has 2 fully formed bids who have both stated that they are ready for 2026...
2026 Christchurch
2029 Perth Bears
2032 west Brisbane or Melbourne 2, I'm hoping PNG falls through.

Pippen94

First Grade
NSO is a definite no for regular season games, shouldn't even be a discussion.

It's laughable they think it is up to standard, it is a good little heritage ground for local comps, nsw cup and nrlw.

No perth home games should be played in sydney period. Work with the tenants of accor/allianz/commbank (venuesnsw stadiums) and release a 'sydney' membership for the bears fans.

It is common sense, we shouldn't be trying to cling to a small suburban past especially with an expansion team on the other side of the country.

People were saying the same about dolphins!!

Canard

Immortal
Is three teams within 3 years a sustainable model?

Seems like that would impact massively on the competition's structure, competitiveness and standard.

This is why I've soured on the idea of linking Perth with a dead NSWRL club. It's disgusting how the Sydney media and V'landys have tried to turn expansion into a means of reviving dead NSWRL clubs and forcing them on other markets, then expecting the locals to prop them up with their money.

I agree with your first sentence, but respectfully disagree on your follow-up stance about V'landys. I don't genuinely believe he is pushing for the Bears, he has shown in the past that what he says and what he does are two very different things. I think he is very good at drawing attention to the NRL, often through bombastic and outlandish statements that draw attention but may not necessarily be true. It's just his personality.

But ultimately I look at where the game is at right now and we've never been stronger. Record crowds, memberships and tv ratings. And we're going to continue getting stronger. So I think he's doing a good job.

As for the Sydney media, we all know they're parasites and for them it's all about click-bait articles. They don't genuinely care about the Bears, they're just writing clickbait stories about them to draw interest. And keep their jobs.

In case TLDR, I think the whole Perth Bears thing has been blown completely out of proportion. I don't think it will happen, which is why I have been ridiculing the concept since I first heard of it.

Latest posts