What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

I agree with your first sentence, but respectfully disagree on your follow-up stance about V'landys. I don't genuinely believe he is pushing for the Bears, he has shown in the past that what he says and what he does are two very different things. I think he is very good at drawing attention to the NRL, often through bombastic and outlandish statements that draw attention but may not necessarily be true. It's just his personality.

But ultimately I look at where the game is at right now and we've never been stronger. Record crowds, memberships and tv ratings. And we're going to continue getting stronger. So I think he's doing a good job.

As for the Sydney media, we all know they're parasites and for them it's all about click-bait articles. They don't genuinely care about the Bears, they're just writing clickbait stories about them to draw interest. And keep their jobs.

In case TLDR, I think the whole Perth Bears thing has been blown completely out of proportion. I don't think it will happen, which is why I have been ridiculing the concept since I first heard of it.
The media jumped on the "Perth Bears" bandwagon when V'landys told WA officials to "talk with the Bears".

I honestly don't know why V'landys keeps on pushing the "Perth Bears" narrative. It's obvious the WA consortium/Gov aren't interested in it. Nor is the RL community in Perth.

Wb1234

Referee
I’d hope so too but I’m not so confident, especially if Perth & PNG are announced as the next 2 as rumoured. They seem to be referencing the 2032 Brisbane Olympics a lot.
There were a few articles saying Brisbane wouldn’t be considered as one of the 3 new teams

maybe things will change if easts put in a blockbuster bid but the dolphins will want more time to establish

Wb1234

Referee
This is why I've soured on the idea of linking Perth with a dead NSWRL club. It's disgusting how the Sydney media and V'landys have tried to turn expansion into a means of reviving dead NSWRL clubs and forcing them on other markets, then expecting the locals to prop them up with their money.
Redcliffe ….

that’s in Queensland !

There were a few articles saying Brisbane wouldn’t be considered as one of the 3 new teams

maybe things will change if easts put in a blockbuster bid but the dolphins will want more time to establish
There's no guarantee PNG will get a team. It still needs to get approval from the Aus Gov. Labor is facing a landslide loss in Queensland. Dutton is now more popular than Albo. Labor's primary vote has tanked.

I cannot see a Dutton Gov upholding a NSW Labor policy.

We don't know if the Christchurch bids are economically viable.

Wb1234

Referee
There's no guarantee PNG will get a team. It still needs to get approval from the Aus Gov. Labor is facing a landslide loss in Queensland. Dutton is now more popular than Albo. Labor's primary vote has tanked.

I cannot see a Dutton Gov upholding a NSW Labor policy.

We don't know if the Christchurch bids are economically viable.
If you wanna ignore all the articles and just make stuff up like Perth red does go for it lol

Canard

Immortal
Where do you come up with that?
Dolphins 2023
Team 18 2026
Team 19 2029
Team 20 2032

They want 20 teams by 2032, do the math.
From the article

An Australian Rugby League Commission meeting in Melbourne before State of Origin II is believed to have settled on a timeline to expand from the current 17 teams to 20 by 2030.

jim_57

Staff member

An article yesterday said Perth 18, PNG 19 & NZ2 or Brisbane3 is the plan. I just think it’s an odd thing to keep landmarking if Brisbane 3 for team 20 in Olympic year isn’t at least under consideration, Olympics doesn’t have much relevance to Christchurch, Port Moresby or Perth.

If you wanna ignore all the articles and just make stuff up like Perth red does go for it lol
The speculation in the articles is based on bullshit. For months they told us PNG were guaranteed to get the 18th licence. Now they're telling us Perth is getting it. That right there proves they cannot be trusted.

If there's money to be made from spreading click bait shit then the media will do it.

Wb1234

Referee
An article yesterday said Perth 18, PNG 19 & NZ2 or Brisbane3 is the plan. I just think it’s an odd thing to keep landmarking if Brisbane 3 for team 20 in Olympic year isn’t at least under consideration, Olympics doesn’t have much relevance to Christchurch, Port Moresby or Perth.
Plan b if png falls over

nz needs a second team more than Brisbane needs a third right now

Wb1234

Referee
The speculation in the articles is based on bullshit. For months they told us PNG were guaranteed to get the 18th licence. Now they're telling us Perth is getting it. That right there proves they cannot be trusted.

If there's money to be made from spreading click bait shit then the media will do it.
PNG coming on 2028 (being delayed a year is being wrong ?)

the arlc should adapt to changing circumstances

if Perth bid has gotten stronger then that’s a good thing

The media jumped on the "Perth Bears" bandwagon when V'landys told WA officials to "talk with the Bears".

I honestly don't know why V'landys keeps on pushing the "Perth Bears" narrative. It's obvious the WA consortium/Gov aren't interested in it. Nor is the RL community in Perth.

I know I'm speaking of the obvious here, but Peter V'landys doesn't hold all the power over NRL expansion. He is part of a commission, of which there are several members. There is also Andrew Abdo and the other chief decision makers at NRL HQ. They would be following a process here.

Pete can publicly push for the Bears all he likes (and like I said in my previous post, I think he's being disingenuous) but like you said there is the consortium and the WA government who are stakeholders in the process as well. They're not going to stand for something being pushed on them that works against their best interests, especially if there is a risk of failure. We're talking big investment to set up a Perth club, you don't put your money in unless you know you're getting a good deal.

Wb1234

Referee
I know I'm speaking of the obvious here, but Peter V'landys doesn't hold all the power over NRL expansion. He is part of a commission, of which there are several members. There is also Andrew Abdo and the other chief decision makers at NRL HQ. They would be following a process here.

Pete can publicly push for the Bears all he likes (and like I said in my previous post, I think he's being disingenuous) but like you said there is the consortium and the WA government who are stakeholders in the process as well. They're not going to stand for something being pushed on them that works against their best interests, especially if there is a risk of failure. We're talking big investment to set up a Perth club, you don't put your money in unless you know you're getting a good deal.
When has the commission not rubber stamped what he wants

it’s up to the Perth team to show why joining with the bears is bad and it’s better for them to go standalone

flippikat

Bench
I think the "three new teams before the Brisbane Olympics" may be an admission that the teams will be Perth, NZ 2 & Brisbane 3... and that PNG will dropped from all consideration - or at least set aside for the following expansion phase (team 21 or 22), sometime in the 2030s.

Latest posts