What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Everyone happy with the outcome of the meeting? Lot of build up for a nothing burger we didn’t already know …
Not surprised, Abdo said beginning of year they wouldn't be making decision until October. I do find it interesting they have decided to go to open bids from anywhere. That I wasn't expecting.

Perth Red

Post Whore
North shore it’s a black hole mostly causal fans

Balmain and around lots of afl fans

many went to afl and didn’t come back

some are coming back as league gets stronger

league in Sydney isn’t as strong as 95 days
Based on what?: Crowds are much bigger and tv audiences are bigger.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know I'm speaking of the obvious here, but Peter V'landys doesn't hold all the power over NRL expansion. He is part of a commission, of which there are several members. There is also Andrew Abdo and the other chief decision makers at NRL HQ. They would be following a process here.

Pete can publicly push for the Bears all he likes (and like I said in my previous post, I think he's being disingenuous) but like you said there is the consortium and the WA government who are stakeholders in the process as well. They're not going to stand for something being pushed on them that works against their best interests, especially if there is a risk of failure. We're talking big investment to set up a Perth club, you don't put your money in unless you know you're getting a good deal.
Recent articles have said WA govt AND the WA bid are not keen on the Bears. If the NRL isnt pushing it then its hard to see it happening.

Steel Saints

Juniors
I know I'm speaking of the obvious here, but Peter V'landys doesn't hold all the power over NRL expansion. He is part of a commission, of which there are several members. There is also Andrew Abdo and the other chief decision makers at NRL HQ. They would be following a process here.

Pete can publicly push for the Bears all he likes (and like I said in my previous post, I think he's being disingenuous) but like you said there is the consortium and the WA government who are stakeholders in the process as well. They're not going to stand for something being pushed on them that works against their best interests, especially if there is a risk of failure. We're talking big investment to set up a Perth club, you don't put your money in unless you know you're getting a good deal.

Yep, this is where the Bears and to a certain extent, the NRL, need to understand. If the WA government is going to provide funding for an upgrade to HBF Park, then they are entitled to have all 12 games in Perth.

In those circumstances, the Bears wanting two games at NSO would be an insult to the WA government.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Not surprised, Abdo said beginning of year they wouldn't be making decision until October. I do find it interesting they have decided to go to open bids from anywhere. That I wasn't expecting.

The whole process has been very slow IMO… and still nothing yet confirmed …Im not sure why Team 18 ( most likely Perth ) couldn’t have been announced months ago to come in 2026 … would help to stagger out Teams 19 and 20…two year gaps would have been ideal ..

Wb1234

Referee
Yep, this is where the Bears and to a certain extent, the NRL, need to understand. If the WA government is going to provide funding for an upgrade to HBF Park, then they are entitled to have all 12 games in Perth.

In those circumstances, the Bears wanting two games at NSO would be an insult to the WA government.
It’s not like the stadium is only used for rugby league

Perth Red

Post Whore
The whole process has been very slow IMO… and still nothing yet confirmed …Im not sure why Team 18 ( most likely Perth ) couldn’t have been announced months ago to come in 2026 … would help to stagger out Teams 19 and 20…two year gaps would have been ideal ..
Not how the game operates. In reality Perth should have been supported in getting ready in terms of pathways for the last decade! The only system we had (SG ball) was shutdown by NRL. Long term vision and strategy is not a rugby league thing.

No but its only being upgraded for RL. If I was the govt spending $150mill plus on it I would want maximum utilisation.

Exactly. The WA Government will be expecting maximum bang for their buck with a price tag like that. They stand to gain nothing by having the new Perth team playing at least 2 games a year at a sub-par suburban stadium on the other side of the country that only holds 10k people. What economic benefit will that bring for WA?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Exactly. The WA Government will be expecting maximum bang for their buck with a price tag like that. They stand to gain nothing by having the new Perth team playing at least 2 games a year at a sub-par suburban stadium on the other side of the country that only holds 10k people. What economic benefit will that bring for WA?
I wonder if this is the demand that has turned the WA govt off the Bears? Singo is smart saying a pre season game at Henson would be enough.

Wb1234

Referee
150 million ? That’s hardly a lot of money

Vlad59

Juniors
Recent articles have said WA govt AND the WA bid are not keen on the Bears. If the NRL isnt pushing it then its hard to see it happening.
The bears partnership is the last leg some of these flogs have to stand on now that a WA team is pretty much in the bag. Watching them change their positions has been a lot of fun. Perth needs to be stand alone with feeder arrangements until no longer required

I wonder if this is the demand that has turned the WA govt off the Bears? Singo is smart saying a pre season game at Henson would be enough.

Singo is smart because he accepts the reality that the Newtown Jets are a minor player in this process. So instead of making demands, he is offering support i.e. "what can we do for you Perth consortium". He's looking at the Jets long term survival anyway, as more NRL clubs indicate a preference to have their own reserve grade sides.

The Bears on the other hand are a minor player but with their "non-negotiables" and "220k members" shtick are acting as if they are a major player. And are making demands about playing games out of a 10k suburban ground, instead of fully committing to their host city.

I know what minor player I would be listening to more.

Make no mistake, it's the NRL, Perth consortium and WA Government that are the major stakeholders in this process. Not second-tier NRL clubs.

blue bags

First Grade

Big money. Sponsors. Exposure
If a few games played at North Sydney oval

blue bags

First Grade
Crowd's of 22,000 at North Sydney oval
Before
Big money. Sponsors. Exposure
That's economic appealing