What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would the Perth Consortium be meeting with the Bears/Jets this week if they felt they didn’t need to?
They have said they will listen to what they have to offer and decide if its worth giving up a stand alone team for. Dont you read the articles?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Donkey used to claim that having another team before the olympics would showcase to the world that Brisbane is a rugby league city.

I'm not exactly sure why the world would care, but apparently we make expansion decisions based on that.
I don't think the world would care so much about RL or how many NRL teams Brisbane has, but I do think it's important for the NRL and QRL to get on the front foot and showcase the unique and relatively obscure game we love in Brisbane because you can be damn sure the AFL will be trying to do that

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think the world would care so much about RL or how many NRL teams Brisbane has, but I do think it's important for the NRL and QRL to get on the front foot and showcase the unique and relatively obscure game we love in Brisbane because you can be damn sure the AFL will be trying to do that
Id have thought the worse time to launch a new Brisbane club? Media and public interest will be consumed by Olympics and venues wont be available?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Id have thought the worse time to launch a new Brisbane club? Media and public interest will be consumed by Olympics and venues wont be available?
You're probably right. Maybe 2033 would be better. Olympics over, new broadcast deal starting, Dolphins have had 10 years to settle in

Perth Red

Post Whore
You're probably right. Maybe 2033 would be better. Olympics over, new broadcast deal starting, Dolphins have had 10 years to settle in
I wonder with the aggressive expansion plan (and seeing what AFL achieved) if the NRL will try for a longer than 5 year tv deal this time around?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I wonder with the aggressive expansion plan (and seeing what AFL achieved) if the NRL will try for a longer than 5 year tv deal this time around?
Possibly, I don't think Vlandy's will be around much longer given his recent comments and for him, he knows that the only piece of unfinished business for his legacy is landing that huge TV deal to correct his previous mistake. I think that's what the huge expansion push is. Get the expansion plan locked in, signed off on by the clubs and broadcasters and he can sail off into the sunset.

You could be right about a longer contract length theatre takes in the value of all 20 teams

Perth Red

Post Whore
Possibly, I don't think Vlandy's will be around much longer given his recent comments and for him, he knows that the only piece of unfinished business for his legacy is landing that huge TV deal to correct his previous mistake. I think that's what the huge expansion push is. Get the expansion plan locked in, signed off on by the clubs and broadcasters and he can sail off into the sunset.

You could be right about a longer contract length theatre takes in the value of all 20 teams
Yeh I was thinking a 5 year deal only gets staggered value out of expansion where as a 7 or 8 year deal would get at least 3 or 4 years of a full 20 team comp.

Presuming the rumours are true it looks like

2027 18 team enters
2028 new tv contract kicks in with 9 games a weekend
2029 club 19 (tv gets an extra 12 games)
2031 club 20 kicks in tv gets 10 games a weekend
2033 new tv deal (if a 5 year deal in 2028)

so they only get 2 years of a 10 game a week comp. out of the 5.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
They have said they will listen to what they have to offer and decide if its worth giving up a stand alone team for. Dont you read the articles?
Oh ffs. I’m aware of what they’ve stated in the papers. Obviously there is more to it than that though.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Wouldn't it be like 2000, where both the AFL and NRL season finish around a month before the Olympics commences.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh ffs. I’m aware of what they’ve stated in the papers. Obviously there is more to it than that though.
obviously?
I mean Cumins has been as clear as day about it!

“The consortium I head up, our preferred option is to go a stand-alone West Australian team, based on the fact West Australians are very parochial. But I’m a commercial animal, and if the case is compelling, you’d be silly not to consider it.”

A WA consortium, led by Cash Converters executive chairman Peter Cumins, remains committed to a stand-alone bid. But Cumins has confirmed he will meet with potential suitors North Sydney Bears and Newtown Jets in Sydney next week “to talk about a possible marriage” before putting forward an official bid.
“We are going to consider all options,” Cumins told The West Australian. “We want to give both those clubs an opportunity to put a compelling case to us that they would bring to the table something that we can’t put together ourselves.”

why do you think they are meeting? lol
Its pretty 'obvious' Perth wants to go it alone but out of courtesy and business reality is prepared to hear what both are offering and wanting in return before deciding what is the strongest bid they can present.

Pippen94

First Grade
obviously?

“The consortium I head up, our preferred option is to go a stand-alone West Australian team, based on the fact West Australians are very parochial. But I’m a commercial animal, and if the case is compelling, you’d be silly not to consider it.”

A WA consortium, led by Cash Converters executive chairman Peter Cumins, remains committed to a stand-alone bid. But Cumins has confirmed he will meet with potential suitors North Sydney Bears and Newtown Jets in Sydney next week “to talk about a possible marriage” before putting forward an official bid.
“We are going to consider all options,” Cumins told The West Australian. “We want to give both those clubs an opportunity to put a compelling case to us that they would bring to the table something that we can’t put together ourselves.”

Its pretty 'obvious' Perth wants to go it alone but out of courtesy and business reality is prepared to hear what both are offering and wanting in return before deciding what is the strongest bid they can present.

..great which group is favourite?! Vlandys wants the bears.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
obviously?

I’m aware of what’s been stated in the papers. Thank you for wasting everybodies time going over the same information without addressing the obvious.

Latest posts