What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

Centy Coast

Juniors
Yes
When I went it was a tiny entrance with turnstiles that had maybe two rows coming in at once

not sure if there was an entry on the hill side but there probably was

that’s what I meant needs to be upgraded and things like disabled toilets and ramps etc
It is still the same, yes there is the Ridge Street entry near the hill, the main entry is on Miller Street.

Centy Coast

Juniors
If the ARLC does add Perth as the 18th team then they should look at creating a Magic Round for Perth. The teams that "host" a home game at Magic Round Brisbane play "away" in Magic Round Perth. Helps the NRL grow the game in a new market. Would need to be held on a weekend when the Friday is a public holiday in Perth. I'd imagine this is something the WA Gov would love. It's also something AwFuL would hate.

Would the WA Premier create a public holiday for this event?
A Magic Round in WA would lose the NRL lots of money, flights to Qld are so cheap from NSW and lots quicker.
Once the Magic Round contract with Qld is finished it will be interesting where the NRL will go, I’m tipping NZ.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Brisbane is perfect for the moment but things can change, the first thing that springs to mind is if/when Suncorp undergoes major renos for the Olympics.

In terms of who else would host it I’d say Auckland, Sydney, Melbourne or Perth in that order of likelihood.
I've always thought that Melbourne round 1 before the VFL kicks off would be awesome

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
A Magic Round in WA would lose the NRL lots of money, flights to Qld are so cheap from NSW and lots quicker.
Once the Magic Round contract with Qld is finished it will be interesting where the NRL will go, I’m tipping NZ.
The NRL also owns the Gambaro Hotel just up the road from Suncorp. It’s in the NRL’s interest to have big events; especially RL related ones, in Brisbane.

Marlins

Juniors
WA & NZ won’t happen because of the Time Zones. The only other place would be Melbourne.
If we go 20 teams (10 games) I’d have it look like this -
Thursday/ Marvel 2 games inc Storm
Friday/ Marvel 2 games
Saturday Mcg 3 Games
Sunday Geelong 3 games

But in all honesty why take it from Brisbane

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
WA & NZ won’t happen because of the Time Zones. The only other place would be Melbourne.
If we go 20 teams (10 games) I’d have it look like this -
Thursday/ Marvel 2 games inc Storm
Friday/ Marvel 2 games
Saturday Mcg 3 Games
Sunday Geelong 3 games

But in all honesty why take it from Brisbane
What if they split it? 2 magic round events in the same weekend? With 20 teams (10 games) you could have 5 games in each location. Eg. 5 in Bris and 5 on GC; or 5 in NZ and 5 in WA.

This would also ease the destruction of the field that we currently see with Suncorp being cut up badly before the second Saturday game from all the foot traffic.

Marlins

Juniors
What if they split it? 2 magic round events in the same weekend? With 20 teams (10 games) you could have 5 games in each location. Eg. 5 in Bris and 5 on GC; or 5 in NZ and 5 in WA.

This would also ease the destruction of the field that we currently see with Suncorp being cut up badly before the second Saturday game from all the foot traffic.
Sort of defeats the purpose of magic round concept where all games are in one city.
imo it’ll be Brisbane or it won’t happen. Double headers in Perth, NZ, Melbourne all good, but Magic round would be a stretch.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Sort of defeats the purpose of magic round concept where all games are in one city.
imo it’ll be Brisbane or it won’t happen. Double headers in Perth, NZ, Melbourne all good, but Magic round would be a stretch.
Yeah, I’m aware of the tagline; but Suncorp struggles with 8 games in the one weekend as it is. The field is destroyed by Saturday and that’s without throwing rain in to the equation.

A 10 game magic round might be a stretch; hence my thoughts of a split Magic Round. It would also be a good cash injection for 2 cities/areas. If it were Bris + GC then at least it’s still in SEQ and it’s almost the same logistics burden.

If it were split between Perth & NZ then you get to utilise the full breadth of the broadcast timezones. Bigger logistic burden but you could schedule games from 2pm on weekends in Auckland so that games are kicking off on tv from midday in Aus.

Magic Round i think would eventually be scrapped just like the 9s & International 9s by the time we go to conferences.

MugaB

Coach

Gould believes we should have one in Sydney.... that could spread that love from commbank to allianz

final say

Juniors
Just following on from the Magic round discussion.
Does anyone not see the clear correlation between a New Brisbane team and the staging of Magic round?
Clearly a very helpful event to bed in a new team.
If Perth are the next team in, I'd suspect it could go there or another NZ team will see it staged at Eden Park .

docbrown

Coach
Also there are 4 teams in Queensland, plus the Storm with big support, and their matches are spread across each day to boost interest.

Single team states like Victoria or WA couldn't replicate that.

Latest posts