What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

jim_57

Staff member
WA & NZ won’t happen because of the Time Zones. The only other place would be Melbourne.
If we go 20 teams (10 games) I’d have it look like this -
Thursday/ Marvel 2 games inc Storm
Friday/ Marvel 2 games
Saturday Mcg 3 Games
Sunday Geelong 3 games

But in all honesty why take it from Brisbane

Don’t really agree with that. Timezone is an issue sure, but not impossible. A late night game or two wouldn’t be the end of the world. Late night TV games East Coast for Perth, Early afternoon TV games for NZ.

NZ: (-2hrs is AEST)
7:30pm & 9:30pm Friday
3pm, 5pm, 7:30pm & 9:30pm Saturday
2pm, 4pm, 6pm & 8pm Sunday

Perth: (+2hrs is AEST)
5:30pm & 7:30pm Friday
1pm, 3:30pm, 5:30pm & 7:30pm Saturday
12pm, 2pm, 4pm & 6pm Sunday.

Sydney would be the easy option but Sydney hardly needs more games, maybe on the condition that all 9 Sydney teams are home teams.

Auckland is a good option, Timezone is a negative. The rest looks pretty good. Warriors have the pub across the road from Eden Park now too.

Melbourne would have to be before the AFL starts or getting a stadium would be impossible. Honestly not sure how it would go, could see some big crowds but could see some less than half full stadiums as well, especially if they go for MCG.

Perth same issues, not sure the interest is there for 9 non-Perth games. Harder for travelling fans as well.

Adelaide same issues x10.

blue bags

First Grade
Yeah, I’m aware of the tagline; but Suncorp struggles with 8 games in the one weekend as it is. The field is destroyed by Saturday and that’s without throwing rain in to the equation.

A 10 game magic round might be a stretch; hence my thoughts of a split Magic Round. It would also be a good cash injection for 2 cities/areas. If it were Bris + GC then at least it’s still in SEQ and it’s almost the same logistics burden.

If it were split between Perth & NZ then you get to utilise the full breadth of the broadcast timezones. Bigger logistic burden but you could schedule games from 2pm on weekends in Auckland so that games are kicking off on tv from midday in Aus.

Magic Round i think would eventually be scrapped just like the 9s & International 9s by the time we go to conferences.
NRL could have Gather Round
Played at Henson park
North Sydney oval
Belmore oval
Leichhardt Oval
😍

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
WA & NZ won’t happen because of the Time Zones. The only other place would be Melbourne.
If we go 20 teams (10 games) I’d have it look like this -
Thursday/ Marvel 2 games inc Storm
Friday/ Marvel 2 games
Saturday Mcg 3 Games
Sunday Geelong 3 games

But in all honesty why take it from Brisbane
The AFL own Marvel

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brisbane is perfect for magic weekend,
it’ll be interesting to see how they manage it with ten games. If they do go to two conferences I suppose you could have a dual magic weekend in two different cities, one for each conference?

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I don’t see a why it couldn’t go to Perth or NZ as one-team cities. The NRL already did this with the Auckland 9s and people travelled for that to see their teams. They put on a great party atmosphere. I guess the thing that worked in the 9s favour; however, was that it was at the start of the year and the excitement was there as the first footy of the year.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Brisbane is perfect for magic weekend,
it’ll be interesting to see how they manage it with ten games. If they do go to two conferences I suppose you could have a dual magic weekend in two different cities, one for each conference?
That’s why I thought a Bris/GC shared SEQ magic round could be good. Still getting everyone up to QLD so it’s not too hard to attend games on different days at different stadiums.

Maybe even set up fan live sites outside/near stadiums. The live sites have been amazing for the Euros in Germany. Loads of energy and fans of all teams/nations gathering no matter who is playing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s why I thought a Bris/GC shared SEQ magic round could be good. Still getting everyone up to QLD so it’s not too hard to attend games on different days at different stadiums.

Maybe even set up fan live sites outside/near stadiums. The live sites have been amazing for the Euros in Germany. Loads of energy and fans of all teams/nations gathering no matter who is playing.
Yeh I think it’d need to be across two stadiums. 10 games in three days is a lot for a pitch to cope with.
could do 2 games Friday suncorp
4 games gold coast saturday
4 games Sunday suncorp

as I say if they do go to two conferences you could have magic weekend in brisbane and Melbourne/Perth same weekend featuring 5 games in each city

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Yeh I think it’d need to be across two stadiums. 10 games in three days is a lot for a pitch to cope with.
could do 2 games Friday suncorp
4 games gold coast saturday
4 games Sunday suncorp

as I say if they do go to two conferences you could have magic weekend in brisbane and Melbourne/Perth same weekend featuring 5 games in each city
Haha that was my thought with having magic round split across NZ and Perth. 5 in Perth, 5 in NZ. Games could start from 2pm in NZ which would give east coast viewers would have games from early morning right through to late evening.

final say

Juniors
Haha that was my thought with having magic round split across NZ and Perth. 5 in Perth, 5 in NZ. Games could start from 2pm in NZ which would give east coast viewers would have games from early morning right through to late evening.
Magic round would be an overwhelming success at Eden Park, sellout guaranteed.
A couple of games not in a great time for East Coast Australia, so what? Sorely we can suck it up for 2 games ffs.
If we go with NZ2 and hold Magic round at Eden Park for 5 years, Rugby league will go to another level in NZ.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Magic round would be an overwhelming success at Eden Park, sellout guaranteed.
A couple of games not in a great time for East Coast Australia, so what? Sorely we can suck it up for 2 games ffs.
If we go with NZ2 and hold Magic round at Eden Park for 5 years, Rugby league will go to another level in NZ.
Well that’s just it, how often are games in Australia on at shit times for NZ? 8pm kick-offs in Sydney you’re looking at 10pm
NZ.

If they’re true fans they watch anyway and if you’re inconvenienced by having a footy game on tv from 10am or midday in Australia then your life must be pretty good if that’s your biggest concern.

2pm in NZ as the first game on a weekend would still only be 10am in Perth. Imagine waking up from a bit of a sleep in on Saturday morning and you flick the telly on and you get to watch your team from bed. Sounds amazing!

final say

Juniors
Well that’s just it, how often are games in Australia on at shit times for NZ? 8pm kick-offs in Sydney you’re looking at 10pm
NZ.

If they’re true fans they watch anyway and if you’re inconvenienced by having a footy game on tv from 10am or midday in Australia then your life must be pretty good if that’s your biggest concern.

2pm in NZ as the first game on a weekend would still only be 10am in Perth. Imagine waking up from a bit of a sleep in on Saturday morning and you flick the telly on and you get to watch your team from bed. Sounds amazing!
Great post.

Latest posts