What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

jim_57

Staff member
Yes fantastic idea's
NRL need's to get these other states. City's involved. Those govements would love The extra income. Busseness. Tourism. Employment
Economics growth

Double headers would be good. One of Auckland, Melbourne, Perth & Adelaide already gets an Origin each year, the other 3 should get a double header at the bigger stadiums. Assuming they’re willing to pay a bit for it.

Sydney gets Grand Final & Origin, Brisbane gets Magic & Origin. Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide & Auckland get an Origin or double header every year. The 6 major capital cities with 50k+ stadiums get a yearly event.

final say

Juniors
Double headers would be good. One of Auckland, Melbourne, Perth & Adelaide already gets an Origin each year, the other 3 should get a double header at the bigger stadiums. Assuming they’re willing to pay a bit for it.

Sydney gets Grand Final & Origin, Brisbane gets Magic & Origin. Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide & Auckland get an Origin or double header every year. The 6 major capital cities with 50k+ stadiums get a yearly event.
Tbh. I don't see it as a fairness thing. It should be what's best for the game.
If it works.. we should do it! Eden Park would sellout a magic round in a heartbeat!
I think we could do one at accor but a little different in a way: why aren't we lining up actual home games for that venue for a weekend? A super weekend: Rabbitohs, Dragons and Tigers host Saturday and Bulldogs and Parramatta host Sunday?
Say:Saturday
Rabbitohs v Storm
Dragons v Cowboys
Tigers v Newcastle
Sunday:
Bulldogs vs Panthers
Parramatta vs Roosters

We could sellout accor for a weekend.

Canard

Immortal
If they’re true fans they watch anyway and if you’re inconvenienced by having a footy game on tv from 10am or midday in Australia then your life must be pretty good if that’s your biggest concern.
Australian TV will have issues with it, that's the problem.

They want to maximise eyeballs for their advertising sell.

"Inconveniencing" fans has got my nothing to do with it.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Sunday night 6:30pm is the right timeslot for Perth. In the first month, due to warm weather, it already has games in that timeslot. Maybe in the first month, just reduce Perth's home games to one.

The rest of the year, Perth hosts 11 games. Also take advantage of a few public holiday Mondays in other cities, by playing games on Sunday evening. Dates for this year:

- Vic Labour day March 11
- Easter Monday April 1
- Qld Labour day May 6
-Reconciliation day Canberra May 27
- Kings Birthday NZ June 3
- Kings Birthday Aus June 10 (NSW, Vic)
- Townsville show holiday July 1

Additionally Magic Round does have a game at Sunday 6:30pm.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Tbh. I don't see it as a fairness thing. It should be what's best for the game.
If it works.. we should do it! Eden Park would sellout a magic round in a heartbeat!
I think we could do one at accor but a little different in a way: why aren't we lining up actual home games for that venue for a weekend? A super weekend: Rabbitohs, Dragons and Tigers host Saturday and Bulldogs and Parramatta host Sunday?
Say:Saturday
Rabbitohs v Storm
Dragons v Cowboys
Tigers v Newcastle
Sunday:
Bulldogs vs Panthers
Parramatta vs Roosters

We could sellout accor for a weekend.
Sydney doesn’t need a magic weekend lmao

jim_57

Staff member
Wasn’t the whole “Sunday ratings for Origin = bad” a bit of a myth in the end? I don’t follow it closely so happy to be corrected.

I wonder if they’d consider a late game in Auckland on Wednesday to make it work if need be. Whilst it’s unusual for RL it’s not uncommon for multiple others sports to go past 11pm or even in to the early hours of the morning in some cases.

Latest posts