What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2GB News at 6.30am

Tim Sheens is still trying to make up his mind whether to play Benji Marshall, Robert Lui or Tim Moltzen at halfback for the 2010 season.

If Benji plays 7 again this year, I will support the new AFL team in the greater west.

When is Sheens gonna learn Benji is a 6.

I wanna cry, swear and run nude down Kent Street.

Frustrating.

super_coach

First Grade
How long did it take Sheens to realize Johnny Morris could not cut the mustard with no7 on his back?? It seems he might not know what everyone else in the NRL world knows--Benji aint and never will be a no7. Maybe its all about ego.

I suggest it was a throw away line, just a small piece to promote the foundation cup. If it wasnt a bottom nine finish is on the cards again

gronkathon

First Grade
It's a number on the back. Marshall plays left side half, his counterpart plays right. The problem was his partner not the position he plays (the same ith either the 6 or 7 on his back)

aids

Bench
Moltzen has to be the Half, i think Lui at the moment, based on my expectations would be a filler half until we have a perminate fullback.

reminds me of what sheens used to say about hodgo playing in the halves, hurting two positions to cover one.

Moltzen is a better halfback than fullback, and Lui is as green as they come.

jasonl

Juniors
I wish wish someone gave him the mother of all hidings so Folkes could step in

Violent, whiny and stupid ... bet you're a big hit with the ladies Gordsy.

Folkes was the worst coach to disgrace the NRL since the infamous days of John Raper at Cronulla in 1978.

A fitness nazi who was made to look good behind a monster, illegally bankrolled pack and a freak goalkicker who just happened to play every game and never missed a shot. You wanna laugh? I remember an interview with Willie Mason a few years back wherin he marvelled at the fact that "Wests Tigers seem to play differenty depending on the team they're playing". Peter Sterling helpfully pointed out that this was called a "game plan" to which Mason responded "Yeah, well we don't have them at Canturbury".

Folkes as first grade coach at WT?

Seriously, haven't you all suffered enough?

Jase

DanOz

Juniors
Moltzen has to be the Half, i think Lui at the moment, based on my expectations would be a filler half until we have a perminate fullback.

reminds me of what sheens used to say about hodgo playing in the halves, hurting two positions to cover one.

Moltzen is a better halfback than fullback, and Lui is as green as they come.

x2 - when I saw Tim named at fullback it felt like de ja vu.

I am not worried about the fact he is still undecided, but FMD, Marshall at halfback was a monumental flop, Lui is far too green, Moltzen had a decent run there and Taumata who is better at halfback than Marshall and Lui is not in contention.

His ego is incredible, when they finally bit the bullet and moved Marshall back to 6 he sent the bloody gnome out to explain the decision for him, in true Royce Simmons style "There is no real difference in our game plan between a 6 and a 7, and this decision is not the end of Marshall being a potential halfback." Translation: "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but the decision to play Marshall at halfback wasn't the wrong decision at all." FFS Sheens, learn from your mistakes, and don't make them again, trying something that fails, then rectifying it makes you look like a better coach than trying something that fails and persisting with it.

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
I think (hope!) he might be taking the piss guys.

This is the chap who likes to play these games all the time.

Remember towards the end of last year - he said that the Marshall at 7 experiment was over.

Magpie Nick

Juniors
His ego is incredible, when they finally bit the bullet and moved Marshall back to 6 he sent the bloody gnome out to explain the decision for him, in true Royce Simmons style "There is no real difference in our game plan between a 6 and a 7, and this decision is not the end of Marshall being a potential halfback." Translation: "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but the decision to play Marshall at halfback wasn't the wrong decision at all." FFS Sheens, learn from your mistakes, and don't make them again, trying something that fails, then rectifying it makes you look like a better coach than trying something that fails and persisting with it.

There's no translation to what Royce said. There's absolutely no difference in the way our Halves play whether they're wearing 6, 7 or 67. Benji plays left, the other bloke plays right. There's more stupidity in thinking otherwise than actually believing that Royce has no idea with what you've quoted him saying.

Borat.

Juniors
Tim Sheens is still trying to make up his mind whether to play Benji Marshall, Robert Lui or Tim Moltzen at halfback for the 2010 season.

If Benji plays 7 again this year, I will support the new AFL team in the greater west.

When is Sheens gonna learn Benji is a 6.

I wanna cry, swear and run nude down Kent Street.

Frustrating.

If that avatar is a picture of you I'll be chasing you down kent street...

richies

Juniors
There's no translation to what Royce said. There's absolutely no difference in the way our Halves play whether they're wearing 6, 7 or 67. Benji plays left, the other bloke plays right. There's more stupidity in thinking otherwise than actually believing that Royce has no idea with what you've quoted him saying.

what about arauna
(spelling) he is a gun if he cant get his sh*t together
as ive said b4 u guyes have the best halfs in the comp
him and marshel will kill teams and robert as back up

If there is no difference between 6 and 7 then why:
1. Did they change him from one to the other?
2. Did Benji's form dramatically increase when he was moved from halfback to 5/8

They tried him at first reciever and number 1 play maker, it failed, they moved him back to 5/8 and he played his best football, yet they refused to admit it was a bad move moving him to halfback.

Magpie Nick

Juniors
If there is no difference between 6 and 7 then why:
1. Did they change him from one to the other?
2. Did Benji's form dramatically increase when he was moved from halfback to 5/8

They tried him at first reciever and number 1 play maker, it failed, they moved him back to 5/8 and he played his best football, yet they refused to admit it was a bad move moving him to halfback.

1. Media pressure on the rest of the team and perceived view that we were playing sh*t because Marshall was at 7. That much has been admitted by the club.

2. Benji's form increased because the team started winning during the part of the season where every other team has their down period before building up again before the finals. Having someone that is more capable than Morris on the right hand side was beneficial as well.

Benji is regularly first receiver, open your eyes. He has been our number one play maker since Prince left and will continue to be our number one play maker and more often than not our first receiver.

Martinplace

Juniors

Then please explain the teams efforts when BM was in the 7 & then when TM was there? I thought it was a noticable difference?

Magpie Nick

Juniors
Then please explain the teams efforts when BM was in the 7 & then when TM was there? I thought it was a noticable difference?

I already have but I'll do it again for you.

The main reason we went well is the fact that other teams were in their down period before peaking again in time for the finals. The majority of fans have admitted that they didn't think we could beat Parra or anyone else good because we weren't playing awesome, we were beating sh*t teams. Take a read at the threads from around the time. As soon as we hit a team that was on a high we got done and Moltzen (and Lui) looked very average.

Moltzen has more ability than Morris as a play maker. Combine this with the fact that we had an easy run during the period he played 7 and the team plays well.

DanOz

Juniors
Can't agree Magpie Nick, Tim was great at 7, wasted at 1. Benji was terrible at 7, made a HUGE difference to how he played when he went back to 6. Opinions vary as ever. :)

Martinplace

Juniors
I already have but I'll do it again for you.

The main reason we went well is the fact that other teams were in their down period before peaking again in time for the finals. The majority of fans have admitted that they didn't think we could beat Parra or anyone else good because we weren't playing awesome, we were beating sh*t teams. Take a read at the threads from around the time. As soon as we hit a team that was on a high we got done and Moltzen (and Lui) looked very average.

Moltzen has more ability than Morris as a play maker. Combine this with the fact that we had an easy run during the period he played 7 and the team plays well.

Not sure about of your facts here, teams don't have voluntary "down periods"? Before the parra game, hadn't we just won 5 or so games straight, we were also on a high? BM played a fair bit of the season at 7, with no success? BM is a ball runner that is unpredicable (that's his strength). At 7 you need to direct the attack as first receiver, he is not suited to that, they tried, but it didn't work, I think you need someone who can direct us around the park (plus utilise BM when required, but not every play) with some pace in attack & defence when required. TM offers this in spades. He may not ever make a SOO as a 7?? but he did get us going, look at the records. When he moved back to FB for the last few games we crashed, I am still mystified that we had a chance to get into the top 8 & we changed our winning halfs combination just when we needed them most.